• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zerogame
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Oct 2007

In a vacuum

Just a comment on Mark Few.
    I see a lot of comments about Coach Few's coaching style and his decisions as to who plays and who sits. I don't think he coaches in a vacuum. What I mean is, I'm sure he consults with the other coaches and values their input and often puts it to use. If he didn't we would see a merry-go-round with staff changes. Good assistants don't stick around if they don't feel valued.
    I like the "Brain-trust" that makes up the GU coaching staff.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams
  • roxdoc
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I wonder if the loss of Bill Grier has contributed to this year's seeming management malaise?

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by roxdoc View Post
      I wonder if the loss of Bill Grier has contributed to this year's seeming management malaise?
      Huh?
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The team is 17 -6, 6 -1 in conference. How is that a coaching staff "malaise?"
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zerogame
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Oct 2007

Coaching

I was not aware of this site last year but, I'm willing to bet many of the same comments about coaching was said then also. GU is just to consistent a winner to not have outstanding coaching. Bobby Knight, brilliant coach was just 12 and 8 this season. I gotta believe Few is one of the top ten best coaches in the land. I'll take that anytime.
          "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Comment

• zag67
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

I agree with Renozag. I do not see the coaching staff in "malais". I do say that have had to work around injuries and sickness, but that is why they get paid the "big" bucks. We may not agree with them, but in many cases we are not watching practices and do not know how the players are feeling. Of the 6 losses, we were in all but one of the games near the end. In a couple of games, we shot terrible, in another couple there were some "interesting" calls and no calls, but those are not coaching problems. On the whole, I think that they are doing a super job. A few breaks here or there and we would only have 2 or 3 losses.

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Mark Few is going to be a better coach because of this season. He has confronted some issues that he has not encountered before. Regardless of the great success he has already enjoyed, he will get better.

We are extremely lucky to have him as our coach.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Bulldog
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

I still think the loss of Bill Grier was a huge loss for the Zags program and a huge gain for the San Diego program.
                "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Mark Few is going to be a better coach because of this season. He has confronted some issues that he has not encountered before. Regardless of the great success he has already enjoyed, he will get better.
                  That's funny because that's the same thing that is said every year after we lose in the NCAA's. Every year he doesn't change and here we are this year with hands down our most talented team and we've already lost 6 games with no signature wins. I'm beginning to wonder if Mark can coach very talented players that maybe play a little more loose than previous less talented players who played within the system. If so, Mark needs to go back to recruiting the less heralded players. He has to realize that guys like Jeremy, Josh, Micah, Austin and Ira aren't "system" type players. Take a note from Calipari at Memphis. They don't even run an offense. I'm not saying we need to do that but this type of player that GU recruits now has to be allowed some freedoms outside of the "system".

Comment

• finechina2003
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

Zerogame,

Are you implying that Coach Few doesn't make coaching decisions based on input from this board?

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                      That's funny because that's the same thing that is said every year after we lose in the NCAA's. Every year he doesn't change and here we are this year with hands down our most talented team and we've already lost 6 games with no signature wins. I'm beginning to wonder if Mark can coach very talented players that maybe play a little more loose than previous less talented players who played within the system. If so, Mark needs to go back to recruiting the less heralded players. He has to realize that guys like Jeremy, Josh, Micah, Austin and Ira aren't "system" type players. Take a note from Calipari at Memphis. They don't even run an offense. I'm not saying we need to do that but this type of player that GU recruits now has to be allowed some freedoms outside of the "system".
                      And where does Adam Morrison fit within this scenario? System player? No freedom?

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. . .that's what makes the sports world such an entertaining diversion.

I think Few has had to take his share of the blame ( and the credit ) over the years and probably is a better coach now than he was at the start of his tenure.
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bigblahla
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

We are indeed lucky to have Coach Few and staff but I scratch my head at our lack of point production against good half court defense when it seems we have what may be the best collective offensive team ever assembled at GU.

I was amazed we didn't run SCU out of their own gym, we have the horses to do it but that's not the game we played and it turned into a grinder of a win. Why don't we press more? Give LG and Ira some PT in that kind of environment.

I do think the loss of Grier hurt and I think that USD will become our bain before this year is over and in years to come.

At the beginning of the season I thought we would be devastating on offense and better on defense. I thought we would lose 0 or 1 in conference.

At this point of the season I thought we'd be at 18-5 so ok we're 17-6 and if all you do is look at wins and losses that's great but it does matter how you play the game.

It's interactive chess with a ball and hoops. Some of the losses we have remind of the loss to Indiana in the tournament last year. Others like Memphis and UT I blame on being in the WCC with that touch foul whistle first officiating mentality that exposed our inability to adapt to physical play exhibited in other conferences.

The season is two thirds over and I don't think that Coach and staff are getting the best out of our guys and at this point I think the system is part of the problem.

26-8 or 27-7 is a good year. Winning the WCC, making the Dance and even if we lose in the first round it's a heck of a year. That's great but I have a question, is that all it's ever is going to be? I want more, don't you?

There is a flaw in our offensive system. It's good enough to beat 3/4 of the teams we play and put up 20 plus wins a year for a long time to come but the current system with the current talent will not win an elite 8 matchup without a whole lot of luck on our side.

We have the coach, we have the staff and the talent to go all the way, just maybe not this year. Tweak the offense Coach, please!

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                          "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

There is a flaw in our offensive system.
                            The "flaw" in Gonzaga's offensive "system" is that we do not have a wide-body presence. No Casey. No Axel. No Cory. No Fox. No Ronny. No JP. The impacts on offense are many...rebounding, interior scoring, high post screens, match-ups, etc. I don't think it's anything more complicated than that.
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• bigblahla
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Darn it Angelo you're to logical, point well taken.

My point is with that being the case transform the offense to fit the pieces.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                              "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

Working...
                              X