• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Wow. Just wow.

Here is an article concerning the WCC Coach of the Year.

sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • Nevtelen
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

What a class act. He's said he wants to keep coaching - I hope he'll land on his feet somewhere.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
      What a class act. He's said he wants to keep coaching - I hope he'll land on his feet somewhere.
      If there's any justice in this world, Santa Clara will go 0-29 next year and spin its wheels for a decade trying to recover from the departure of Davey. Though I am glad the Zags won the title, a part of me would have been tickled to see SCU win it. That would have put SCU admins in the position of firing a champion coach.

Comment

• GaelBaller

Wow...this article really was touching. I wish the best for Davey in the future.

Comment

• TheBeast
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Holy cow.

I hadn't really heard too much of what was happening with Davey. This doesn't seem right.
          Again, what do I know? It still doesn't feel right, though.
          I wear a helmet while internetting.
          sigpic

Comment

• mendiant
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

My mother died of leukemia despite a transplant, so this story is particularly touching for me...

Best of luck to Coach Davey in the future. I hope he lands with a much classier program than SCU. Perhaps Arizona?

God FORBID GU should EVER become so arrogant...good thing we are in Spokane...We Spokies would keep that from happening (hopefully).
            A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

Comment

• PilotNut
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

What a great story; that is what "it" is all about. Davey is a class act and I hope that he can relocate himself to another place that truely appreciates his character.

SCU has made a terrible judgement call here, IMO. I hope Davey decides to move on and not stay on in the fundraising position he has supposedly been offered.
              Go Pilots!

Comment

• jaszag
                Bulldog Fan
                • Feb 2007

Thanks for a great clip/link. When I'd read two days ago that he'd like to continue coaching, it was only then that I began to surmise that his departure was a "resignation" instead of "retirement."

Over the past several years I've loved the toughness of his players (e.g. Angley and that wonderful "thug" Niesen). And as a patriarch of the Flex offense, well, that alone makes Dick Davey an icon.

Too bad for you, SCU.
                Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
                solo deo gloria

Comment

• sonuvazag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

What really sucks for me as an SCU alum is I suspect these folks with the money said they would donate on the condition of Davey getting fired... I wish Papa Loc would have stood up to them, but even more, I wish the donors would donate to the program with no strings... make it a gift and left the people on the inside who run the place decide how to spend it.

I've been bummed about this all year, but this recent story seems to make it more tragic... especially that he wants to coach somewhere else.
                  Agent provocateur

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I could see Davey getting picked up by another mid-major somewhere in the off-season as a Bennett-style "rebuilding" coach - brought in for a few years to pump some life into a dead program. Wonder if it'll happen and how far he'd be willing to move to do that.

Comment

• SWZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

The more I read about Dick, the more I like him. I have gained a lot of disrespect for Santa Clara thru all of this. I hope the best for him and his loyal backing. He's a catch for any program! A coach who cares more than just about wins and losses is a coach I want on my team. There is much more to life than wins and losses and this is what Dick teaches.

Could we possibly use another assistant? I've love to see his face on our sidelines to help coach players about life, along side our current staff.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Spike94
                        Kennel Club
                        • Feb 2007

I too hopes SCU goes 0-29

How horrible. Coach Davey gave so much to that school. What a total lack of loyalty and class. I would gladly and proudly welcome him to the bench of GU as an assistant if we have room. A real class act.

Comment

Working...
                        X