PDA

View Full Version : OK I have now cooled down

hondo46
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
So who were those 3 jackasses in Moraga and why should they ever be allowed to ref another college game as long as they live?

Ziggy
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
So who were those 3 jackasses in Moraga and why should they ever be allowed to ref another college game as long as they live?

They were the cousins of the three refs from two nights before who knew how to blow...their whistles...all the time.:D

cggonzaga
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
As discussed in a previous thread, they were Pac 10 football refs disguised as WCC basketball refs (or vice versa)

Birddog
02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/robot_guy/larrydarryldarryl.jpg

Birddog

lawzag
02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Hondo, they were the three stooges:

Thomas Wood, Michael Eggers, Mark Reischling :mad:

ZagSlug
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.lazydork.com/movies/slapshot.jpg

ZagSlug
02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I added a fourth Horsemen.....for the shot clock and scoreboard guy.

http://munchies.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/four-horsemen-mikh-l.jpg

Bulldog
02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe or it might have been Darrell, his brother Larry, and his other brother Larry. :lmao:

GoZags
02-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it is always good to know what true, bigtime fans of the Gonzaga program think. Here's an example:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147#s=147&f=1081&t=1978895

Bulldog
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow !! That was a cool thread, thanks for sharing.

ZaggyStardust
02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I think it is always good to know what true, bigtime fans of the Gonzaga program think. Here's an example:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147#s=147&f=1081&t=1978895

There are quite a few sites I visit regularly, and every single one of them commented on the game and the refs... and not in a complimentary way I may add! I tell you, it wouldn't please the Gaels to see what the majority of CBB fans thought about that game and the officiating!!!!!

HOOTER
02-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I think most college basketball fans are well aware of the incompetence and complete lack of accountability that exists among cbb officials. It seems that for some reason ref's are untouchable and given free reign to do as they please and this clearly needs to change. If any one of us were to make half the mistakes in our jobs that were made in the St. Mary's game we'd be unemployed. I'm not asking for officials to be perfect, I just wish they were held accountable for their actions, which would inevitably result in higher accuracy and reduced incompetence.

Birddog
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
If any one of us were to make half the mistakes in our jobs that were made in the St. Mary's game we'd be unemployed.
I hope nobody on this board is a weatherman(person).

Birddog

Birddog
02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
http://voluntaryredneck.mu.nu/archives/TNBIRDDOG.jpg

Birddog

TheZagPhish
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
How can St. Mary's feel good about the win? I mean, yes, they played excellent ball, there can be no doubt. But the game was just close enough that the reffing was an integral element of that win. To me it's less clear that the better team won, and I would imagine that St. Mary's would want a cleaner, more decisive win, particularly on their home floor.

Of course I'm probably dead wrong. :-/

alaskazagnut
02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Trust me they believe they are better and for now the records and the polls say they are. There will be no over time in Spokane. We will win by over 10 points and we will win the WCC conference title. Then go on to smash them in the tournament championship.

SMC is loving every minute of the win regardless if the whole nation and every ESPN, FOX and CBS sports analyst says it was the most poorly officiated game they have ever seen.

beatsc
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
ZAG fans.

You have to admit, that was a really great game. Really, in spite of the officials, it was an amazing game to watch. I understand your frustration. The refs were not good.

But, do me a favor and look at the foul totals of your games this year. What you will find is that the foul total in almost every game is in your team's favor.... by a large margin.

Sort of like the game Monday night.

So, keep in mind that sometimes the ball does not bounce in your favor. But it has bounced in your favor a large percentage of the time this year.

Good luck the rest of the year. Your school has a great team!

beatsc

kyle dixon
02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Game over. We lost. However, when Mr. Mills' finally gets called for travelling and a pg shooting that many free throws is a joke, the Daye phantom fouls (x2) are non-existent, and the gym actually contains lights that shine on the floor with functional shot clocks I call a 15 point Zag win. Beat Pepp!

Kyle

Birddog
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
http://k41.pbase.com/u11/bret/upload/38100566.jackass.jpg

You called Hondo?

HOOTER
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
ZAG fans.

But, do me a favor and look at the foul totals of your games this year. What you will find is that the foul total in almost every game is in your team's favor.... by a large margin.

Gonzaga certainly knows how to draw fouls when needed (most good basketball teams do) but that's not what happened in the St. Mary's game. That game was riddled with horrible calls (not just foul calls by the way) that were either intended to level the playing field or the result of gross incompetence.

P.S.- Why was my Jack Ditty post removed? :confused:

Spike94
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
ZAG fans.

You have to admit, that was a really great game. Really, in spite of the officials, it was an amazing game to watch. I understand your frustration. The refs were not good.

Sort of like the game Monday night.

So, keep in mind that sometimes the ball does not bounce in your favor. But it has bounced in your favor a large percentage of the time this year.

Good luck the rest of the year. Your school has a great team!

beatsc

First of all thank you for posting. However, before you tell us to look maybe you should look yourself. Here are the numbers since WCC started this year.

LMU 23-18 LMU had more
Pep 17-13 Pep had more
USD 20-17 USD had more
USF 19-17 USF had more
Memphis 24-16 GU had more
Port 22-18 Port had more
SC 28-24 SC had more
SMC 29-17 GU had more

I don't see 4 more fouls as a huge margin. I do however see 12 fouls as a little lopsided when our whole offence was based on Pargo driving. He didn't get touched I guess and the kid from SMC did. Don't say that GU deserved this because we get lopsided calls when we don't. I looked back for example at a couple of other games like Montana and GU had a 2 or 3 foul advantage. Thanks for telling me to look back, because now I believe even more that we got hosed.

sittingon50
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
The Zags have shot 80 more FT's than their opponents, 3.5 per game. Given that their opponents have jacked up 109 more 3's than the Zags (thus not being as aggressive toward the basket), I don't think your premise holds up, sc.

alaskazagnut
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
collectively the entire WCC, including the Refs are tired of Gonzaga dominating the league. They will do anything for a Zag loss. They did so on Monday.

23dpg
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.nursery-rhymes.info/Three-Blind-Mice-nursery-rhymes.gif
Tom, Mike and Mark

roxdoc
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
If the situation were reversed (GU win, unexplainable foul differential, ghost calls at critical times) I would take the win, but I would be feeling very very uneasy about the future.

LongIslandZagFan
02-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe or it might have been Darrell, his brother Larry, and his other brother Larry. :lmao:

I hate to get caught up in semantics and accuracy... but that would be Larry, his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl.

zag944
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't understand why refs are given so much protection and leeway (in all sports not jsut college BB). Nothing hurts a game more than the impression it is unfair.

The excuses drive me nuts too...

"well the refs were bad but we had our chances..."
Outplaying the other team should be good enough. You'll never play a perfect game, there is ALWAYS more you can do, so don't blame the players and coaches.

"they're only human, we all make mistakes"
Most humans get punished for sheer incompetence in their place of work. Small mistakes happen in small quantities in 99% of games, and we can live with it. Its 7 or 8 crucial mistakes in a row all favoring one team that's the problem.

"It's a make up for (whatever game)"
I would think a referee would know its not his place to make that decision. If not, its a sign of extreme arrogance and unprofessionalism. And if the other referees didn't suck too it wouldn't be a problem.

Reborn
02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Zagphis says they played excellent ball, about St. Mary's "they played excellent ball." Their foul shooting was anything but excellent. If Zags ever miss anything like they did at the end of the game just imagine what we'd be writing about our team. Why call St. Mary's excellent when they were nothing but chokers.

MickMick
02-07-2008, 08:55 AM
The worst called college basketball game I have ever seen.

gamagin
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
anger management. Hope this helps. I know it helped me. To a point . . .

1. Become Aware of what precipitates your anger. Most of us have identifiable triggers. Once you know the roots of your anger, you can deal with it more constructively.

Remember, those refs are working very hard on their GED's. two have driver's licenses. That's not an easy thing to do with cataracts. Also, I have learned through research they are trying to multitask as greeters at WalMart AND taking wood shop AND then taking their "spare time" trying to watch a basketball game WITH whistles in their mouths at least half the time -- seemingly all at once. Clearly, some slack is warranted.

2. Monitor the feelings and bodily sensations you experience when you're becoming angry. Learn to use these sensations as cues to stop and consider what is happening and what to do about it.

What is happening is you are witnessing the death of a goliath with a paring knife. by strangers, drunken hunters, if you will, who have lost their other weapons, like guile and a sense of fairness, who seem pretty intent they can do it with a thousand tiny cuts. It takes a lot of stabs. There isn't much time. Goliath seems to be getting mysteriously stronger at several points along the way, dangerous even, so they must work expiditioiusly. And they do.

3. Change the thoughts that trigger anger, interpreting the situation from a different (less provocative) point of view. Often, this involves looking at the situation from the other person's perspective.

This is a key: try and consider the fact that these three guys have tried, and may even have succeeded, themselves, in looking at the game from a different (less provocative) point of view, that of SMC's. And that angry mob of SMC fans, plus the narrow road out of Moraga, plus the check awaiting. What would you do ? Spokane's a long way off . . .

4. The quicker you can reinterpret a situation the better. Brooding fuels anger, but seeing things differently quells it. Reframing a situation is one of the most potent ways of controlling anger.

Reinterpreting with this tool should help you realize, potently, that we were framed. controlled (framed) anger.

5. Write down angry thoughts. Once you have them on paper, challenge and reappraise them.

"I think we got the shaft." On reappraisal, and seeing it on paper, I now know we got the shaft.

6. Identify and express the feelings that precede anger. Anger is often a secondary emotion, erupting in the wake of other feelings, like frustration, resentment, humiliation, or fear.

Before I determined we got the shaft, I was angry. Underlying that was witnessing the shafting. Corroborating that were the two disintersted (as to prejudices) announcers from ESPN. Then just about everyone who said anything who watched the shafting. They, too, were gobsmacked.

7. Respond assertively. The goal isn't to suppress anger, but to express it in non-aggressive ways. Blaming, accusations, threats and name-calling are aggressive responses. Calmly and assertively stating your thoughts and feelings about a situation, without blaming, is a far more powerful way to respond in conflict.

Doggone it. I'm am really, really, thinking of becoming seriously miffed. I think I'm going to strike my pillow, maybe fire off a stern note to the WCC. Skip mass in protest to the Higher Order, who clearly was a Gael fan that night. There's that much anger that's built up inside. Whew, just getting THAT out really helped. I was about to blame those three arseholes, again, but the threat of attacking my pillow took care of all that. Thank you, anger management.

8. Relax. Anger is a high-arousal state, so one of the most helpful things you can do is engage in an activity that lowers blood pressure and heart rate, like yoga, stretching, deep breathing, massage, visualization, guided imagery or meditation.

Speaking of a high arousal state (puts brownie down) . . . I now have a mantra and I would like to share how it has worked for me. try it, after a few brewskis. It goes like this: "elevator, hoopavator, we got the shaft. OoooOmmmmmmm !" Verrrry relaxing.

9. Finally, relinquish your anger. If angry feelings about a particular person or situation are eating at you and none of the above techniques proves helpful, try doing what may be the most courageous and difficult thing of all: Just let it go.

I agree. I'm going to let it go. In fact it is gone. Forever. Or, and I mean this, until at least March. 1. At the Kennel. 5 p.m. sharp.

#

gonza
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Priceless !!

kiroczag
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
That just made my day.

Robzagnut
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
>The worst called college basketball game I have ever seen.

That's what Doug Gottlieb said on his ESPN radio show last night when he said, "One of the worst ref jobs I've ever seen."

lawzag
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Gamagin - that was priceless.... best post of the day!

:lmao:

GeorgiaZagFan
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
...and if those refs had officiated the Gonzaga-St.Mary's game .....the Zags would have won by about 20!!!! There were NO touch fouls called...there were no phantom fouls called...
Both teams played hard, physical, tough defensive basketball and each team went to the line a total of 15 times. That makes 30 free throws for the entire game unlike the 42 shot by St. Marys. In fact Mills shot more freethrows himself than either UCLA or WSU shot as a team!!!! The reality is that he should have shot 6 or maybe 8 FT's and that's it.

OKAY - I'm getting closer to being over the WORSE OFFICIATED GAME I'VE EVER WATCHED....except for maybe when the refs let Illinois come back against Arizona a few years ago in the NCAA tourney...but that bad officiating was only over a 3 minute stretch.

gamagin
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks the kind words. It's nice to know there are others as twisted as Hondo on this board.

best regards,

gamagin
02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
don't forget your albuterol inhaler tomorrow, in case we get the same refs. as last week. Oh, and a taser.

hondo46
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Here is my Twisted reaction if we see the jackass 3 again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs37NSLy3z4

ZagManFan
02-09-2008, 06:16 AM
I thought I saw these guys....