PDA

View Full Version : Game Report: Jeff Taylor, Hobbs Eagles

antbanks
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
In a physical matchup where post players exchanged blows and points in the paint, it was a 5-foot-11 point guard who changed the complexion of the game.

Derrek Peterson's perimeter shooting carried Hobbs through a slow start and the 150-pounder drew a second-quarter charge from the massive Jose Cruz Lopez, sending the 6-foot-5, 243-pounder to the bench with three fouls, as the Eagles opened District 4-5A play with a 94-74 victory over the Cavemen on Tuesday at Tasker Arena.

Peterson tied a career high with 15 points, but his most important contribution was drawing Lopez's third foul. Lopez had scored 10 points and had Carlsbad within five at 22-17, but when the Eagle floor general stood his ground during a Lopez drive to the basket, the Cavemen's hopes of winning left the floor with the stout post.

Carlsbad had hung around for a few minutes and trailed 33-25 with 3 minutes and 28 seconds remaining in the second quarter, but Hobbs (21-2 overall, 1-0 district) closed the first half on a 19-3 run and took control of the game.

"Oh no! I was scared," Peterson joked of what went through his head when he was trampled by Lopez. "I was just trying to get the foul. I knew he was going to be their best player, so I was just trying to get him in foul trouble. If it means me sacrificing, then thats what I've got to do."

While Peterson gave the Eagles, ranked No. 2 in the latest News-Sun Class 5A Coaches Poll, an early spark, Jeff Taylor took care of the rest. The 6-foot-7 Division I recruit scored 40 points - the fourth time in his career he's reached the 40-point mark -- on 15-for-23 shooting and grabbed 16 rebounds while overwhelming Carlsbad (9-13, 0-1) with an array of dunks.

"Carlsbad is a good team, they came out and played good. I also think we came out and started slow and then we kind of worked ourselves into the game and got the temp going," Taylor said. "If we get the tempo going, it always works out in our favor."

Taylor's performance came in front of Gonzaga head coach Mark Few, who was in the Tasker Arena crowd scouting the senior. Gonzaga is one of four schools to which Taylor has taken an official visit.

Taylor is No. 4 on the Hobbs all-time leading scorer list with 1,457 points, 15 behind Brian Russell (1993-97) for No. 3.

Hobbs' Allen Tate had a pair of impressive one-handed dunks in the third quarter as the Eagles built an 80-52 lead entering the fourth quarter. Tate finished with 12 points and Hobbs led by as many as 30.

Hart Greenwood led Carlsbad with 21 points and Lopez finished with 20.

Hobbs now turns it's focus to Friday's matchup with No. 1 Clovis.

"We feel good, we're looking forward to Friday's game," Hobbs coach Russ Gilmore said. "It was good to get through this one and play pretty good. It's hard not to look ahead, but we know that Carlsbad's always played us tough."

The Eagles will play Carlsbad again February 15 in Carlsbad.

ZagNative
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Taylor's performance came in front of Gonzaga head coach Mark Few, who was in the Tasker Arena crowd scouting the senior. Gonzaga is one of four schools to which Taylor has taken an official visit.

Taylor is No. 4 on the Hobbs all-time leading scorer list with 1,457 points, 15 behind Brian Russell (1993-97) for No. 3.
Go Fewie! Lasso that that guy and reel him in!

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7005/lasso194671pb0.gif

spudzag
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the update. What a player and potential asset.

BBskorer
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Go Fewie! Lasso that that guy and reel him in!
Thanks for the update. What a player and potential asset.Ditto!

sdzag
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Here's to Jeff and the Zags having a long 4 year happy life together!

ZagNative
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Our friend who posted the initial story, antbanks, says he plans to be at Jeff's next game, this Friday at Clovis. Hopefully, he'll be decked from head to toe in Zags gear, and the next story we'll read in the local media will note that,

Well-known message board poster antbanks was observed in the stands, scouting Jeff Taylor for the GUBoards faithful and sending positive Zag vibes to the young young hoops wizard.

BobZag
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
And Spokane weather is like Sweden's weather. :)

Wait, is this a good thing?

If Few is there, Jeff is Priority #1, no question.

cggonzaga
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Here's to Jeff and the Zags having a long 4 year happy life together!

I'd take him for a year or two. The way he's developing we'd be lucky to keep him all four years.

ZagAddict
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
It's beginning to feel like the same story we have seen play over and over again with elite-level recruits. "I like coach Few and the program, but _______ (fill in the blank)."

I'm guessing he goes with Texas in the end...

ZagNative
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
ZagAddict is pretty much spreading cheer wherever he goes tonight....

ZagAddict
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
ZagAddict is pretty much spreading cheer wherever he goes tonight....

Sorry ZN, your right... tomorrow I promise more cheer ;) For the record, I (like just about everyone on this board) would love to see a commitment from Jeff Taylor to GU. I hope he holds off on a commitment until he sees a GU run in the NCAA tournament in March. (I'm ending my evening on that positive remark :D )

Go ZAGS!!!

crescd215
02-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I will be heading to the Hobbs v Clovis game tomorrow as well. For those of you unable to drive from Washington State, the website www.nmaa.tv will have a video webcast of the game starting at 6:00 pm pacific time. Sorry if this had previously been posted.

Cody

ZagNative
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Whoa! Welcome to the board, crescd215. And you come bearing gifts! Thanks so much for that link! I hope you'll be posting your impressions here after the game.

CDC84
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
If anyone hasn't seen Jeff on video before (some of this is old video), here is your link:

http://www.hobbsschools.net/eagletv/sports.htm

Taylor is #44 (in white). The best videos that demonstrate his skills are against El Paso Bel Air and Los Lunas.

Taylor is ridiculously athletic....we're talking major hops. He would be terrific in Gonzaga's transition game, and his slashing style on offense high valued when the new 3 point line is put in place next season. Also, as you can see, Hobbs has a really good basketball team.