PDA

View Full Version : OT - Duke vs. North Carolina, Round 1

CDC84
02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
6pm PT, on ESPN

So who are you picking?

The latest is that UNC PG Ty Lawson is most likely not going to play in this game due to injury, and even if he does, his bad ankle figures to limit his productivity. Nonetheless, teams can sometimes rise above these injuries in order to win a single game. Because the game is at Chapel Hill, and because I think Duke might have some real problems dealing with Hansborough, I am still going to go with the Heels. If the game were at Duke, I might go with then.

As a side note...It will be interesting to see if Duke wing Gerald Henderson gets a few "incidental" elbows in the rib cage when he's driving toward the hoop tonight. We all remember what he did to Hansborough last time around. That was a really ugly incident.

There are also a number of key games tonight involving Zag opponents:

Texas at Oklahoma
Vandy at Georgia
SMU at Memphis
Texas Tech at Baylor
St. Joe's at Duquesne
UConn at Syracuse
UNLV at Utah

UberZagFan
02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
UNC even without Lawson. The Heels are a better team and are at home.

Uber just heard Lunardi on the radio say that Lawson is a no go tonight and that he will be dropping Duke to the 2 line after tonight's loss and moving UCLA to the one.

Rubbadub
02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Definitely UNC

AllezZags
02-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I am taking the Dookies.

I believe they are the better team. Hardnosed D will get this one done for Coach K's troops.

I am actually enjoying watching their play despite my past dislike for their team.

(oh, and I looooooove Singler as a college player)

BoltZag
02-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Tonight will be Dick Vitale's return to broadcasting...how unfortunate that the entire game will be spent listening to him blather on about how many notable Division I coaches sent him well-wishes during his downtime and how incredible Greg Paulus and the entire Blue Devil offense is.

Cue the throwing up in mouth.

Not awesome, baby.

Rubbadub
02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Anyone else see the in-game commercial last night for the UNC/Duke game? It was clips from past UNC/Duke games set to 45 seconds straight of Dick Vitale literally babbling incoherently. Is that supposed to get me excited for the game?

CDC84
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Those in game ads allowed me the opportunity to get the mute button on my remote control warmed up.

Decourcy's blog regarding tonight's game:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=347836

Pargo the Destroyer
02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Gotta go w/ my second fav team.............THE DOOOOOOKIEEES
And Dick Vitale is back.....Im pretty excited about this game. Cant stand the Heels

pbriz
02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I took summer classes at UNC and therefore my loyalties lie there. That place is something else, truly a beautiful campus in a true college town. Even without Lawson, Quentin Thomas does not get enough credit. He is a senior and will step up and get the ball to Thompson and hansbrough down low. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hansbrough get 30 and 15 in this one.

Rubbadub
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Hansbrough get 30 and 15 in this one.

Yup. Who's going to stop him? Lance Thomas?

CDC84
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
It will be interesting to see if Duke double teams Hansborough. They normally don't like doing such things as it negates the full effect of their ball pressure out on the perimeter.

Zagheel
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Tyler should have a big game. That, coupled with the crowd, equals a UNC win. Having spent three years in Chapel Hill, I have to agree with Pbriz. Chapel Hill is a tremendous place. And nothing beats a gameday atmosphere on Franklin Street, especially on a UNC-Duke gameday. If anyone ever has a chance to experience it, I highly recommend it.

john montana
02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm a big Duke fan, but I'm also a realist. I just don't see how they handle UNC. As well as Duke has played, they have no size and Hansbrough is too much of a handful. Plus, the refs LOVE to put him on the line...he'll probably shoot 20 free throw tonight and foul out 2-3 Duke players. I think UNC wins, and I don't think it will be close.

Rubbadub
02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
How will the refs balance their love for Hansbrough with their love for the Dukies? Their heads might explode!

MDABE80
02-06-2008, 02:01 PM
No dount it's FF game in Feb. Both teams are SO good. WIth Lawson out, I think DUke will exploit the hell out of that. Duke by 1 to 3 pts. K is so good at exploiting weaknesses.

AllezZags
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
5-7 points better all evening on the Tarheels floor. they looked really good getting that W.

BTW, Singler is such a nice player in that system.

ZagMan in Philly
02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Gotta hand it to Coach K..they won it rather easily without a true center, and against Mr. Hansborough...surprised the heck out of me. Perhaps coach Few took some notes from this game. What an atmoshphere for a college game.

Rubbadub
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Definitely some kudos for Duke. Great win. Look at the bright side, UNC fans: from now until when you play Duke in the Final Four, you can use the excuse that Lawson wasn't playing as the reason why you lost!

23dpg
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Duke is small. It is amazing what they are doing this year.

Kyle Singler didn't play center in High School and now he's guarding Psycho T in the post. I wonder if he regrets going to Duke just a little. His natural position is a 3, not a 5. He gets beat up every game. Ahh, but Duke is winning.

john montana
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Kyle Singler fits in perfectly in that offense. It plays to his strengths on the offensive side of the ball. Big win...Duke is for real.

VinnyZag
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
There were probably 20 plays in that game that would've been called fouls in a WCC game, but weren't in an ACC game. Makes it tough when games are being officiated in two completely different ways.

CDC84
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Duke reminds me of the Villanova team a couple of years ago that had no true low post presence but a series of brilliant perimeter players that could attack you off the bounce for baskets near the rim or kick outs to 3 point shooters.

But like that Nova team, I just can't see Duke winning the national title with this group. They definitely can make a final 4 though. You really need to have a real low post presence to win 6 in a row in the NCAA tournament.

UNC was visibly effected by the absence of Ty Lawson. The Heels have a top flight offense and a wildly inconsistent defense. In order to beat elite opponents, they need the proper guy running that attack. It was still a heck of a performance from Duke though.

ZaginLaw
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Coack K continues to impress me. Interesting discrepancy between the two teams each timeout. Duke would gather together and confidently run off the court as a team. UNC sauntered off in a scattered & exasperated manner.

Duke's attitude, committment and focus is fun to watch.

MickMick
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Singlar and Henderson are serious matchup problems for opposing teams.

Scotto
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Paulus > Pargo

CarolinaZagFan
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
As you all know, around here the UNC-Duke game is a state holiday. Well we had a party last night, and most of my friends were cheering for Duke. After the game, we all went out to a bar (still had on our Duke shirts). Well anyways, we were just having a good time minding our business when some UNC fans came up and actually started talking junk to us. We were absolutely stunned haha, we were minding our own business and fans from the losing team decided they would come up to us and talk junk. Needless to say, we gave them a lesson on trash-talking. Man I hate a majoriy of UNC fans. And NC State fans are even worse. I can't wait to get out of the land of idiots (North Carolina).