PDA

View Full Version : Are you satisfied?

theothegreat21
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I am curious if many of the people who frequent these boards are satisifed with the success of Gonzaga basketball. I understand that it is an entirely amazing story that Gonzaga has reached this point to become a basketball power, and we need to recognize how GU got here.

But for me we have not reached a special level yet. I honestly believe with the TV exposure and the national recognition and talent that we have been able to bring in, that making the NCAA tournmant and every couple of years making the Sweet 16 is no longer enough. For me, every season that we do not truly compete for a National Championship is dissapointing. It seems to me that some people are nervous or afraid to put this kind of pressure and expectations on our beloved Zags, but I think its time to start expecting greatness out of our Zags

BroncoZAG615
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Can't be satisfied yet.

I think we are well on our way though. This is a very interesting time for the Gonzaga basketball program. We are now at the forefront of the college basketball world. We are no longer a hidden team in Spokane that shocked a few major teams. Now we are the major team that everyone in our conference guns to knock off. New gyms, uniforms, sponsors and a whole new generation of fans have been on account of the past of Gonzaga basketball.

The turning point is on the recruiting and on the future of this program. Our recruiting is blowing up and we are a force outside of the state of Washington. We are getting transfers from schools and are a sought destination by great players. This doesn't satisfy the need to take the next step though.

The next step is a championship. Make no mistake, at our best talent, we are a title contender. We have had missteps both on and off the court and tough injuries have sidetracked us but I can't be satisfied until we cut down the nets and riots ensue (maybe some burnt down buildings). The key is to mold these kids together and have them believe in this team, because if we do it will really take off into a great thing which I believe is a championship.

4EVERaZAG
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be great. We didn't get to where we are at by being content with mediocrity. I think as a program and as fans it is a good thing on focusing on the next step ahead whether it be a Final Four or National Title. Yes it is true we need to remain humble knowing where we came from and all that we have accomplished as a program. But without coaches and players set with a burning desire to get better and better we head straight back to mediocrity.

Zag79
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
yes and no.

yes... to see this little University come outta no where, make a big run in march and sustain it for a decade who wouldnt be. to recruit with the likes of duke, nc, kentucky, michigan st, etc. of course im happy. to have the chance to watch the zags run into march with the talent we have, hell yea!

no... with the talent we have, at times it seems we flounder when we should be amking larger strides. that is the selfish in me. ;)

Zag4Hire
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I just want a team that hustles, plays hard, supports each other, and does to the best of their abilities.

I will never be satisfied until a championship banner hangs from the rafters of McCarthey.