PDA

View Full Version : You guys got absolutely hosed last night

cougs4ever
02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Must have been at least four phantom foul calls when a Zag didn't touch anyone. And the two plays underneath St. Mary's basket, when the ball went out of bounds, should have been GU's both times.

I expect the home team to get a few calls, but it was ridiculous last night. The officials were out of position all night.

Dickau43
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, maybe, but we didn't really deserve to win. The only reason we were even in the game was because St. Mary's can't shoot FTs. Not to mention how lucky we were to beat Santa Clara. I don't really have any complaints about the loss other than how bad half of the team played.

former1dog
02-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Bygones,

No matter how much complaining is done, it ain't gonna win us the game played last night.

alaskazagnut
02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
The refs did help decide this game. But we can't blame them.

St Mary's took almost 20 more FT's than we did. The officiating was horrible and they should be reprimanded. They wanted St. Mary's to win. Everyone in the league wants Gonzaga to lose.

We have to get used to the fact that the Zags are on everyones radar and they hate us for being so good. IMO, even the Refs are probably tired of us being so dominant.

6 of those free throw attempts were free bees from the refs. 2 out of bounds balls were gifts to St Mary's.

Spike94
02-05-2008, 03:29 PM
We didn't get hosed. We had our chances to win. That being said, the WCC should be embarresed that it can't get any better refs than that for a nationally televised game. The two calls against Daye when Sanham pulled him over. And then the SMC player jumping in the air and running into a GU player and getting a foul. They were a joke, and the WCC should never question why the rest of the country thinks of the WCC as a second class league.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
....is that IF Gonzaga wants to succeed against the big boys they need to develop a more physical style of play, the style of play that is being allowed in the major conferences AND in most NCAA tournament games.

That game last night was officiated like a junior high game....especially against Gonzaga. Every little touch foul was called against them...all they had to do was breath on Mills and he was awarded with a foul.

So Gonzaga NEEDS to become more physical to compete on the national scene...but in the WCC they will continue to get the junior high officiating.
It will be difficult for them to adjust and I think we saw that earlier this year when Tennessee thoroughly manhandled the Zags.

By the way....St. Mary's would get killed by a Tennessee team with national refs officiating the game.

rennis
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
....By the way....St. Mary's would get killed by a Tennessee team with national refs officiating the game.

you could say that about all but a handful of teams in the country right now...Tennessee is one of the absolute best this year.

Zag365
02-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Bygones,

No matter how much complaining is done, it ain't gonna win us the game played last night.

'nuff said. Let's save it for 3/1 when we get a do-over at our house.

Zag4Hire
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
The whole day was just one big blur. Sort of in just a drone state. Even the quality coffee doesn't taste that good.

The difficult position is for Gonzaga. We want the league to get better to improve our numbers and image but I certainly don't want to go to the back or middle of the pack. Not saying that is certainly the case (I still see the WCC regular season title staying in Spokane and we get the autobid from the WCC tourney which will put that speculation to bed).

The refs. Yeah, awful. But what are you gonna do with that and what is that gonna get you? We had more than a few shots to pull it out but we didn't.

I am proud of Pargo, Daye, Gray, and Kuso. All of them played exceptionally well. There is info flying all around regarding Heytvelt (Bronchitis! Still sore foot!). Bottom Line: He is certainly not helping himself or the squad right now by being out there. Eat your chicken noodle soup, rest up, and get ready for the home stretch.

I think this team will be growing up real fast and they will hit their gear soon. It's easy to get down on a team after a loss but I know this team will make the necessary adjustments.