PDA

View Full Version : The Hopi language word for Zags...

upan8th
02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
It's KOYAANISQATSI, meaning 'life out of balance'. Gonzaga, by all accounts, has the most talented group of players they've ever recruited. There would seem to be, on this team, abundant height for rebounding and defense; good team speed for the transition game; a core of solid three point shooters, and enough depth to wear opponents down over the course of a game.

Yet we've all seen this season that 8 or 10 great players doesn't necessarily make a great basketball team. Ever changing lineups haven't produced a combination that has jelled to provide real team basketball and wins against quality opponents. And toward the end of last night's game, four Zags basically gave the ball to a fifth and watched (with two exceptions) as he improvised his way to the hoop trying to score. That has been the case way too often this season.

Two of the most heralded players in the program have simply become nonfactors and have been replaced by freshmen. The four year senior, always before leading by positive example throughout his career, has lately shown anger and confrontation toward erring teammates.

Posters noting this discordance have been urged to have patience. Injuries and youth have been offered as reasons the Zags have failed to play to their potential. But, at this late date in the season, the team is still searching for an identity. And you can see it in the players' eyes. They don't look happy. With the exception of the Portland blowout, this group has never exhibited the kind of joy that comes from winning with a full team effort.

Whether the team ever comes together this year is in serious doubt. As of now, it's koyaanisqatsi.

ZagNative
02-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting post. I think you make some valid observations.

former1dog
02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Upan,

I have the utmost confidence that by the end of the season, our team will play as Suukya' (one).. :)

BubbaGump
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
.... And toward the end of last night's game, four Zags basically gave the ball to a fifth and watched (with two exceptions) as he improvised his way to the hoop trying to score. That has been the case way too often this season.

You got that right!

Actually, I agree with much of your post so maybe you are not an idiot as I suggested in another post.:) :)

chirguy
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
One thing I have noticed is too much dribbling. This is one of the reason guys have a hard time getting open shots. If you want high quality shots the pass is the way to it.

Once and Future Zag
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
One thing I have noticed is too much dribbling. This is one of the reason guys have a hard time getting open shots. If you want high quality shots the pass is the way to it.

That and holding the ball rather than knowing where you options are immediately to pass it to.

it's catch-hold-pass-catch-dribble-hold-pass-catch-hold-pass....