• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UberZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Pargo Becoming An Elite PG

Pargo's play last night was outstanding. After the Memphis game, Uber posted the chicken/egg thread noting that Pargo's best games came in losses and wondering aloud whether his better play causes the loss or results from the team heading down the loss road and him trying to save them.

Against St. Mary's, Pargo stepped up in every aspect of his game--leadership, decisionmaking, and sharing the ball. He was 11 for 17 from the field and 2 from 4 from three, with both his makes in OT after Daye fouled out. He had 9 assists but did have 5 turnovers--one too many and had 2 steals, leading the team in both assists and steals.

But more than the stats, was the flow and control of the game. Pargo brought when he had to, distributed when it was necessary and kept the offense going. Yes his dunk that led to the "Posters will be on sale at halftime" comment but nice, but the biggest play of the game for GU (not just for last night but for the rest of the season) may be when Pargo brought the ball up with 14 tics left in regulation and drove to the hole and found Kuso for an easy two WITH TEN SECONDS left. Maybe 10 seconds is a bit too much, but that is SO much better than seeing him dribble around the top of the key until 4-5 seconds remain and then drive to hole only to find no other options but to throw up a junk shot.

This is what Pargo's play directly led to:

50% FG pct to 40.9%; 41 rebounds to 37 rebounds; 14 assisted FGs; both teams were 9-22 from three.

One thing Pargo couldn't affect: PF: 29 to 17 (8 to 2 in OT) and FT Attempts: 42 to 18 (15 to 4 in OT).

One thing Pargo & Co. could have affected: Golden 6-6 from three--the difference in the game.

With about 1:30 remaining in OT, Uber still wishes they would have called a foul on JH on Diamon's lay-in that was partially blocked (he did get part of his arm) because after the block the ball was knocked out of bounds by O'Leary but given to St. Mary's. What followed was Golden's sixth three pointer and a 4 point lead. Both calls were missed but it would have been better to see the 60% FT shooter Diamon at the line than the ball out of bounds.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Agreed Uber. Good post. I would pos rep you, but I know you don't want it.

Comment

• MickMick
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

JP was about 4 turnovers away from being perfect. With respect to a complete game, it was the best I have seen him play.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

JP is the real deal. The other veteran players need to step it up and start trying to play to his level. They are all capable. If they do, games like last night wouldn't even be close.
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• lawzag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

absolutely stellar performance by Pargo - with all those scouts out there last night his stock definitely went UP.

non-win, but still deserves a GUnit!!!
          ZAGS RULE!!!

Comment

• FuManShoes
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
            JP is the real deal. The other veteran players need to step it up and start trying to play to his level. They are all capable. If they do, games like last night wouldn't even be close.
            Amen! JP cannot do it alone. I hate to keep singling out Matt, Micah and Josh, but these guys have all been here before and frankly they, not the freshmen, have the deer-in-the-headlights look. Those three guys should be combining for 40-50 points a night! I just don't get it. Guys who have played in big games and in numerous lineups should be able to adjust and raise their intensity level, and we're not seeing it. And at least lead by example and play some defense if you're going to stink it up offensively.
            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• VinnyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

He'll do it again in the rematch, too, I think. Mills is a really exciting player offensively, but it doesn't look like he plays much defense. I doubt he went up against many guys like Pargo down in Australia.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2007

Pargo for President

Pargo has been absolutely incredible lately. It truly is amazing to watch him grow into one of the best PGs in the nation. I don't like to think about it, but all of my friends said that he is definately an NBA caliber player. Hopefully we'll find out in two years rather than one. Can you imagine where we would be without him? I don't want to find out. Although I believe Meech will be a similar player for us and will assist in shutting down Mills the next few years. Mills is an incredible talent.
                "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• cair3
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Loved pargo's play, he was awesome, a stud, carried GU, played his heart out and came up big in important plays. I loved how he raised his play.

That being said I think Mills is going to be the third best point guard to come out of the WCC. Stockton and Nash 1 and 2. Mills reminds me of a Tony Parker guard, I was very impressed. Josh Hytvelt is not the player he was last year or this summer, I'm not sure he will be this year. He doesn't even go after blocks aggressively anymore.

Bouldin seems to play better as the shooting guard. I think Micah should start not because he brings more than Gray but because Bouldin seems more comfortable at the shooting Guard. Or maybe consider playing LG at the three for defense and have bouldin come off of the bench. Kuso is raising his game to a new level.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Pargo just needs to be able to hit 3's when he's not in take over the game mode and he'll be easily a first round pick.
                    sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Agreed RE: Pargo

I agree with all the above post on this topic. I was involved in the Pargo chicken/egg discussion after the Memphis game but this was a stellar effort by Jeremy, in all phases. He seemed to get his shots in the flow of the offense as much as possible, and give the team a shot in the arm when needed. His assist/turnover ratio was good tonight, especially considering how much he handled the ball, and would have been better if a couple of guys could have finished a little better (if Kuso makes that layup late in regulation, we win). He was the floor general we've been discussing and hoping for all year. Hats off to Jeremy tonight!!!!!!!!

P.S. I'm not ragging on Kuso, I thought he also played very well.

GO ZAGS

Comment

• VinnyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cair3 View Post
                        That being said I think Mills is going to be the third best point guard to come out of the WCC. Stockton and Nash 1 and 2.
                        That may well end up being true. But right now, I think Mills is the third-best point guard in the WCC -- after Pargo and the Johnson kid from San Diego. Mostly, as I alluded before, because Mills hasn't figured defense out yet.

Comment

• upan8th
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

If Jeremy strings together performances like last night's through the rest of the season and into the tournament, there's no doubt in my mind that NBA teams will notify him that he'll be a first round draft pick. Then he'll forgo his senior season and go pro.

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

You're an Idiot!
                            An awful way to make your point and an awful way to represent yourself.

Clean it up, Bubba. Play like an adult.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                              Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                              Clean it up, Bubba.

I vomit when I want people banned.
                              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

Working...
                              X