PDA

View Full Version : Committee Should Also Consider Micah Downs

Gozags99
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
So, if the committee can consider the fact that Josh will likely not return, how about the fact that Downs was not eligible and out with an injury for much of the season? Especially in light of his contributions the last several games. Just a thought.

lothar98zag
02-28-2007, 08:25 PM
They will not consider him being out due to his transfer, but any games missed due to injury (if the player is healed and will play in the NCAA tourney) may be considered.

For Downs that would be 5 games: L vs Duke, L vs Nevada, L @ UVa, W vs LMU, & W vs Pep

SunDevilGolfZag
02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
IMO, an observant Committee ought to be thinking different type of team now, but just as dangerous.

23dpg
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
That's a good point. They should consider those games. But of course they won't. Hopefully after Monday night, the point will be moot.

madness
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I hereby move that we table all discussion of at large bids until Monday @ 9:00 PST.

Seconded?

(Sorry my HOA meetings are starting to get to me)

lothar98zag
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I hereby move that we table all discussion of at large bids until Monday @ 9:00 PST.

Seconded?

(Sorry my HOA meetings are starting to get to me)
Hopefully the discussions don't start on Sunday...

CDC84
03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
If Texas beats Kansas at KU on Saturday, and UNC beats Ga Tech (at Ga Tech) and Duke (at home), Gonzaga will have beaten the regular season champs of the Big 12 and ACC on neutral courts. It's hard to imagine a team not making the NCAA's with that kind of thing on their resume, but it could easily happen if GU doesn't win the WCC tourney.

RebornZag
03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
First of all this conversation is just one of those conversations we have in order to kill time while we're waiting in a long line to get into a game. It's a long week as we wait for Sunday so we need to talk about something. I like this topic because it focuses on how good our team is right now. We've been having this discussion about "how good the team is now without Josh" for a couple of weeks now and the discussion changes with each game that we win. AND THE COMMITTEE WILL NOTICE HOW GOOD WE'RE BECOMING....with each game. They're not dumb!!!:pray:

Micah is certainly filling in many of Josh's points. He's going from around 5 ppg to 18 ppg. So there's 13 of 'em right there. Micah is often playing in the same, high post, position that Josh played, and is able to bring the defender outside in the same way that Josh did. If you don't go outside to guard Micah he can kill you just as Josh did, and probably has a little more range then Josh did, but Josh could definately nail the 3 ball. Micah is a better passer then Josh by far, and he's a better dribbler/penetrator. Josh looked pretty clumsey when he tried to penetrate. And Micah is getting about 6 boards per game (3-4 more then he used to get because he's getting more minutes now). Micah is a good defender, but would not guard the guy Josh would.

Kuso would. And Kuso is as good of a defender as Josh is, and as good of a rebounder. Kuso doesn't have the offensive skills Josh has, but he doesn't need to because Micah does. Yet, Kuso will give us betwee 5-9 more pts then he used to because he's playing more now. I look to see the pts go up slightly as he continues to play more (maybe up to 11 pts per game). 11 pts would be perfect for him in the offense we are running. And Pendo is bringing more pts and more boards and more hustle and more of everything as he now gets more playing time (and has earned the role he now has, and it's about time in my opinion). Pendo is becoming a very, very solid player. He's hitting that outside jumper with ease and really looks confident (because he is).

In my opinion, this team has earned the right to play in the NCAA March Madness Dance, as much as any team. We aren't the only ones' fighting for our tournament lives....it's a dogfight all around the country. The games right now are just awesome. Many of the teams have had to fight through adversity too, but none as much as the Zags!!!BUT we have our destiny in our own hands (well actually God's) now and I believe our beloved Zags are ready to win the WCC tournament. The Zags are going in the "right" direction now and have gained the much needed momentum that all teams need as they prepare for a tournament. I think Santa Clara is going in the wrong direction and will lose in the semi-finals. Saint Mary's appears to be gaining the same kind of momentum that we are and I look forward to playing them in the finals.:clap:

kitzbuel
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I've have brought this up before, but I believe that George Mason's AD is the Chairman of the selection committee this year. I wonder what kind of influence the committee's generosity to GMU last year will have on his thinking given its player problem (Tony Skinn suspended).

Nonetheless, you really have to think that most teams would really hate to see a 10 or 11 seeded GU. They would probably feel that they were getting screwed with that draw.