PDA

View Full Version : Prediction Thread: St. Mary's

former1dog
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, this is a 2 part thread. Complete the poll and then post with a detailed prediction, if you'd like.

zag944
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Close game most of the way through, Zags pull away at the end with free throws, win by 8 or so.

72-64

Bouldin leads all scorers with 20

MidwestZagFan
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I think it'll be a tight game, lots of lead changes with neither team leading by more than 7 at any point... Zags gut out a W!!!!!

speed21
02-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Go ZAGS!

drnoe
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Zags eke one out in a tight squeaker. I'm hoping Josh comes up with his signature game of the season tonight. We need a smash-mouth performance tonight.

VinnyZag
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I think the Zags might be tired, I think the SMC crowd will be fired up, and I think Simpson's gonna be a killer matchup for GU.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think St. Mary's wins by 1-5 points. And I think that's GU's last loss until the NCAA tournament, so I can live with it.

fedwayzag
02-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I think it is close also. Zags by 3-5 pts. I agree Simpson is tough and a matchup problem. Could this be the game that Kuso and Josh play side by side. I would like to see Kuso on Simpson. Kuso has the length on him and as we have seen, Kuso can guard on the outside. Simpson would have a tough time rebounding against Kuso. Only down side is Kuso propensity to foul. I still would use him on Simpson and tell Will to be ready as he gets some time tonight to spell Josh. Short spells at tv time outs but still gets Josh a rest. When Simpson is out take Kuso out for some more offense.

stevet75
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I haven't seen a game this year where the Zags looked in synch. They could win this one with individual effort, but I'm thinking they lose this one by 1 to
It will be a different story when we play them on our court.

rennis
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm saying Zags win by 4 or 5 points.

My gut tells me for them to do that Bouldin has to play well and hit his outside shots (or just take some for that matter)

If Bouldin plays well we have a chance. He can't sleep walk through this one, however, and if he does we lose.

dim4sum
02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
St Mary's 82, Gonzaga 68.
Hope I'm wrong. If Josh comes to the realization that there is no such position as point post man then the result may be different.

rennis
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
St Mary's 82, Gonzaga 68.
Hope I'm wrong. If Josh comes to the realization that there is no such position as point post man then the result may be different.

I hope you're wrong too. No matter which Josh shows up, we can all take solace in the fact he won't be the only defender in the paint. ;)

El Voce
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm afraid the Zags play really crappy perimeter D early, fall behind by double digits, battle back heroically, but fall short by 1 to 5. If the game were in Spokane, I would pick Zags.

Nevtelen
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Too close to call. It'll come down to the last couple of possessions. I do think St Mary's might win it, simply because they're a really good team @ home and their backs are against the wall. It'd be a great win for the Zags, but not a win-or-die situation. I also don't think we have an answer in the paint. Josh has had a lot of issues this year, but he is just not there and I'm not convinced we'll see the Josh of old this year at all. Hope I'm wrong.

Still... If Austin is playing good D and doesn't foul, he can smother Simpson. I think Pargo will match up well with Mills. Gray and Golden might be a push - Gray is more athletic, but Golden is more experienced. Bouldin won't be a threat to post up against O'Leary, but should be okay on the perimiter. Our biggest problem is the post - we can't let Samhan score and, more importantly, get a lot of boards. Micah needs to channel his UConn performace and bring his lunch-pail.

MickMick
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Zags show up to play. Win by 10+ in a statement game.

former1dog
02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Zags put together their most complete game of the season, complete with great defense and take the crowd out of the game early.

Putting the foot on the throat, they pull away 83-68.

Josh Heytvelt shines by scoring 23 and picking up 11 boards and causing Samhan to foul out midway through the 2nd half.

D Hark 2003
02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Zags by 9,

Samhan will get his, but mills and simpson will be shutdown. Pargo has had enough of all this hype that mills is getting and he shuts him down. Bouldin, Daye, Gray all shoot well and the zags solidify their top spot in the conference.

Colbyspapa
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I think I have seen that game before...

GU32
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Zags 79
St Mary's 70

GO ZAGS!!!

BubbaGump
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Zags put together their most complete game of the season, complete with great defense and take the crowd of the game early.

Putting the foot on the throat, they pull away 83-68.

Josh Heytvelt shines by scoring 23 and picking up 11 boards and causing Samhan to foul out midway through the 2nd half.

I think Josh explodes in this game and shows us all what we have been waiting for this year. I think he takes Ham-man/Porky/Pig-In-A-Blanket and abuses him. I think Pargo shows Mills who his daddy is and the Zags roll baby!!:D

75Zag
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
GU by about 10.

GU has the talent and I believe that they now understand as clearly as possible that they need to effectively use all of their talent - in every game - to win out in the WCC. I have the feeling that until last Saturday, several of the GU players bought into the hype that so many other people did about the 2007-08 GU Bulldogs. After Saturday, I am hoping that the Bulldogs will scratch, claw, scrape, stomp and scream their way into a decent NCAA seed.

zagar
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
We're going to need both Pargo and Heytfelt to play solid defense and make smart passes to have a chance. Just a feeling but it wouldn't surprise me to see either Pargo or Heytfelt hit with a couple of early fouls, as refs can easily be influenced by a raucous crowd. If that's the case, we'll be behind most of the game and unable to get over the final hump come foul/freethrow time.

Reborn
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Zags 82
St. Mary's 79

Best game of the year. We are finally gelling. I see the chemistry and cohesiveness I've looked for all year.

This is THE STATEMENT GAME for the zags this season. I think it's the beginning of the 2nd half of the season tonight. Everything leads up to this game. I knew we would fall short at Memphis, but we won't tonight. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Memphis...these games prepared us for tonight. Our OOC schedule was great, and now shows a lot of wisdom. We ARE ready.

Pendo has a much better game tonight 12 and 7.
Pargo loves these kind of match ups. He goes for 15 and 10.
I think Bouldin is ready for a big 23 pt night. He's tired of the way he's been playing.
Josh continues to play about how he has been playing. He'll get 11 and 7.
Daye continues to play well in California, and gets 13 4 and 4.

Player of the game is Pargo. He's been waiting for Mills.

UberZagFan
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
GU by 4. With that said, we sure have a lot of optimism in this poll!

Reborn
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Why shouldn't we be confident Uber? I'm not surprised about the confidence we're feeling. I really DO believe the zags win tonight, and I see a lot of other fans think so too....Maybe in the end, we are not really pollyannas. Maybe we, afterall, are the realists who know that the REAL ZAGS have an exceptional team. This is, as I predict, is the STATEMENT GAME. :)

By the end of this game, it will be the Zags riding on top of the Title Wave.

former1dog
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
GU by 4. With that said, we sure have a lot of optimism in this poll!

Don't worry. If we win, but its close... Bye bye optimism... I won't be stopping by here if we lose. There will be some blood letting.

lothar98zag
02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
A double digit final margin, either way, would be shocking.

Recent history - GU @ SMC:

2007: SMC 80 - GU 75
2006: GU 68 - SMC 60
2005: SMC 89 - GU 81

upan8th
02-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Gaels will try to prove they belong back in the top 25. Zags, so far, have shown they don't belong in that group yet. Rate GU about at the same level as Drake and Oregon, and SMC beat 'em both in the cozy confines of their gym. Close game though, w/ St Mary's receiving the benefit of the calls toward the end (as is usually the case for all home teams) and wins it by 6 after leading by 3 with less than a minute to play.

It's ok. Randy Bennett has said it's a MUST WIN for the Gaels to have any shot at the regular season title as he thinks the Zags will run the table for all their remaining games. We'll get em in "Spokanistan" (the oh-so-clever favorite nickname for the Zag's home, as seen on the Gael's message board).

cjm720
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
This should be a close one. I think think the X-factor is our bigs and they need to have a better than average game to pull off an "upset."

I think Pargo will make a statement tonight that he's the best point guard in the league.

GO ZAGS

Salsageek
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Zags by 3!

bzzz61
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Ira! dunks on Samhan's head and makes SportsCenter's Top 10

lothar98zag
02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Ira! dunks Samhan's head and makes SportsCenter's Top 10
fixed ;)

saintzag
02-04-2008, 04:08 PM
The game against SCU showed some Zag ,frosh toughness.The game against SMC will show veteran toughness ala Josh,Pendo,Pargo,Micah and Kuso. Not to forget Matt.Zags by 5.

primal23
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Smc 70
Gu 64

Rangerzag
02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
more Cowbell

Zag4Hire
02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
KenPom is predicting a 2pt loss, 71-69. Not to sound like an announcer but I think it will come down to Austin Daye. He's big in wins and insignificant in losses. Just no ticky tack fouls. I say if he scores 12 or more, there is no way we lose. Take that to the bank.:D

Let's go Zags!