PDA

View Full Version : Last night reminded me of the Texas Tech game...sort of

CDC84
02-03-2008, 11:17 AM
A number of people jumped on BZ last night part way into the game when he declared that SCU simply wanted that game more last night.

Well folks, he was right. Why?

Santa Clara is the worst rebounding team in the league. Before last night, they averaged fewer rebounds per game, and possessed the worst rebounding differential number of any WCC team.

The Zags were outrebounded by 8. That's effort folks...pure and simple.

GU's defense was horrid against SCU last night. For the first time all season, they allowed an opponent to shoot 50%+ against them in a game. I know the Broncos shoot a high percentage as a team, but Gonzaga, frankly, has faced offenses that are more formidable.

Another way that this game was similiar to the Texas Tech was how Keating chose to defend the Zags. He took a page out of Bob Knight's game strategy. He clogged the middle, didn't allow Bouldin or Pargo clean drives to the basket, and most importantly, the two GU guards had zero post up opportunities. Keating also took away GU's high low game completely. From a coaching standpoint, he really put his team in a position to win.

But unlike the Texas Tech loss, the Zags found a way to pull this one out.

Two plays that will go unnoticed from last night that involved the freshmen...One was a three pointer that Austin hit with under 2 minutes to go in regulation that really energized the Zags and gave them the belief that they could maybe make a come back. Another came in the 2nd overtime, when Gray hustled and secured the ball after Austin had his layup attempt swatted.

As for the crazy foul by Angley near the end of regulation.....what's funny is that teams who steal away a game like the Zags did last night usually play exceedingly well in their next game - largely because they feel so fortunate to have survived. They approach the next game with the mindset that they don't want to put themselves in a position again where they have to rely on good fortune to win the game.

BobZag
02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm fairly certain that Few & Staff are emphasizing rebounding, defense and a high level of effort for Monday's game. The Zags should be plenty hungry to make this a Bay Area sweep, what with a clear conference lead at stake.

dim4sum
02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I think Gray can shut Mills down if he makes it his mission. I see a low scoring game for Steven, but a successful one, if he makes Mills look bad.

zag67
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree that they will have Steven on him. I also think that you might see Micah on him. Micah has longer arms and is a stronger defender. I would think that they probably will play in shorter bursts and therefore have more energy to play the defense.

WallaWallaZag
02-03-2008, 08:46 PM
i think that mills may be too quick for gray...pargo is quicker

ZagsGoZags
02-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I am not sure I could agree that Micah is a better overall defender than Gray, including the intangibles, and including staying level headed

ZagNative
02-04-2008, 02:22 AM
CDC84, don't you defend BZ for throwing in the towel on the Zags with 7 minutes left to play in regulation. He deserved to be pommeled severely about the head and shoulders for that defection and was just so. I am considering speaking to your mothers, CDC84 and BZ, and suggesting that if you continue to make negative mischief against the Zags, your playing time together should be limited and consideration should be given even to putting the two of you in different scout troops.