• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

The true Turning Point of the Santa Clara game

In your opinion, WHAT WAS THE TURNING POINT OF THE GAME?

here is my two cents.
    With 7 minutes left in regulation, with 6,5,4,3 minutes left, weren't you feeling like it was the WSU game? We HAD TO catch up, we had to do something !!! Nothing seemed to be working, we were 7 pts behind again in a low scoring game where every basket was becoming critical, and our whole team seemed to be caught in some type of choke.

Remember that? It felt like MOMENTUM was all Santa Clara.

The turning point of the game was Austin Daye's 3 pt shot with a few minutes left. IMHO. We had so many possessions not becoming scores, when he released it I had the feeling "Oh no, now they'll get the rebound" but the ball went in and felt kind of normal. I think he brought that normal feeling back to our team and it is extremely difficult for a player to have the confidence to challenge the big Momentum in that way. What a fighter he is.
  • sdzag
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

Exactly right...That was the first time in the game that you could see a little fear in the faces of the fans around us...
    SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Comment

• Ezag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Daye showed us that flash of brilliance and just in time. He did try to do the same thing at the end of the WSU game but in that game, the shots just wouldn't drop

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Agree with GoZagsGo. Offense was chitty-chitty-bang-bang till then.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• zagfan1
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

I believe Bouldin hit a three first then Austin hit a three after Bouldin. But I tell you the true turning point for me was the intensity that Daye brought when he was guarding the SCU inbounder at the end of the game. The whole defense knowing they had to get the ball back with Austin's leadership was prettty impressive. I couldn't believe how much the defensive pressure from one side of the court to the other affected SCU and caused them to throw away the game.

Comment

• Fantastic7
            Redshirt
            • Feb 2007

zagfan1

Excellent point about Daye's pressure on the inbound pass.

Comment

• Ziggy
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

That's why they threw it long on the inbounds, Austin's pressure and as well as good pressure on all the near-by SCU player's, leaving them no choice but to throw the bomb. Heads up hustling by Steven allowed him to deflect the ball. In that instant they were rattled off their center. Another tipping point: Dowdell's two misses and Gray's two makes. I thought the Zags played inspired ball in both OTs, if they had played like that for 40 minutes it wouldn't have even been close.
              "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

santa clara doesn't have our athleticism or depth...we let them dictate the tempo and they should have won. we should have been pressing them full court the whole game ala tennessee or memphis. we have the athletes and depth to make this work against a team like scu.

Comment

• gbnyba17
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Jan 2008

i feel the turning point of this game was something weve been seeing all year, pargos ability to get to the rack and finish. when the offense was stagnant and no on seemed to really wanna step up and take a shot, there was pargo once again driving and scoring, keeping us in that game...

Comment

Working...
                  X