The stat of the game:
Free Throw % 1st Half: 4-5 80.0%
2nd Half: 12-15 80.0%
OT: 12-13 92.3%
Game: 84.8%

:)

zag69
02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I was hoping for a more detailed description of the game's finish.

With 7 seconds to go and the opponents chest-bumping already, my 93 year-old mom called. I said Mom can I call you back in a few minutes? And she says You had an angiogram and cardiac catheterization yesterday and I said yes but the Zags game isn't over and she said Oh yes! I needed an angiogram after seeing them win in double overtime! And I said Mom...you spoiled it for me, I'm alive and....and as much as I love and admire her I was disappointed to not see the finish of regulation though of course ecstatic that somehow GU had managed to pull it out, but then I was talking to her about my procedures and trying to watch the game from across the room and all of a sudden it was over! And I thought wow, that was the fastest overtime ever! So I was hoping for a recap here.

ZaggyStardust
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
RECAP:

STEVEN GRAY and AUSTIN DAYE

End of Story!

EL MUSTACIO
02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
RECAP:

STEVEN GRAY and AUSTIN DAYE

End of Story!

........agreed

timgozag
02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I missed the 1st OT as well. The damn FSN cut it short for the stupid meaningless Sonics game. Well at least I still can watch the last minute of 2nd OT.
Austin and Steven are awesome. Hope they stay with the Zags for full 4 years.
Next mission: kill the Gaels

drnoe
02-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Frosh - that's all you need to know

alaskazagnut
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, Daye and Gray were stellar and clutch. But without Angleys stupid foul with 3 seconds left the Zags would probably be 5-1. I highly doubt Gray would have been able to get control of the ball and even dribble up court more than 10 feet without having to put up a half court shot. Angley should have just defended him rather than full body block him.

We are the better team, the better team won, and the better teams tend to never quit and therefore, have slightly better luck.

upan8th
02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
ok...a solid majority of fans outside WA and the great northwest weren't able to see the game or the fateful final four seconds of regulation. CBS gametracker had the final of SCU winning by two after Bryant apparently blocked Pargo's layup attempt with fewer than 4 seconds to play.

So, will someone who saw that sequence of events at the end of regulation describe what happened IN DETAIL? Was Angly's foul accidental, thinking he had a legitimate shot to receive the pass? Whe did the Broncos settle for a long pass (was it a long pass?) instead of calling a time out? Was it really a foul? Or might it have been a no-call. How did the crowd and Bronco bench react to the call?

On the face of it, Angly's foul, and SCU's failure to close out the game in regulation has got to rank as one of the greatest yankings of defeat from the jaws of victory in the history of college basketball. Is that correct?

And lastly, if anyone has video of those final four seconds, could they find it in their still pounding hearts to post it somewhere? The unwashed, unseeing, and disbelieving throng, witnessing the post, would forever praise thy name.:p

Once and Future Zag
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Lets see.

Pargo has the ball - slices and dices into the lane to try and drop a two to tie the game - about 7 seconds left.

Parge gets swatted by Bryant - the ball goes out of bounds - called SCU ball. The place goes nuts with 3 and change seconds on the clock. Personally I think that was a bad call and Pargo didn't appear to touch the ball after the block - but anyways. SCU has no time-outs at this point in the game.

So SCU long throws (3/4 court pass) to get the inbound - and Gray and a SCU player go up for the ball - it's loose and Steven goes for it as the clock is ticking - and Brody comes out of nowhere and fouls Steven with 0.3 seconds left.

Steven ices the foul shots to tie it and the rest is history. There wasn't much of a reaction from the crowd - it seemed like stunned disbelief, after already starting to celebrate the big win over GU.

DoggieDogpound
02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
On the face of it, Angly's foul, and SCU's failure to close out the game in regulation has got to rank as one of the greatest yankings of defeat from the jaws of victory in the history of college basketball. Is that correct?
.:p

Few called a time out and set things up - Bryant did the correct thing from the baseline and threw the home run pass - Gray deflected it and just as he got to the ball near the sideline Angly made the stupid diving hustle foul. The ref had no choice but to call a foul.

wazZag
02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Was Angly's foul accidental, thinking he had a legitimate shot to receive the pass?
No, there was a delay, the ball was deflected, and Gray got to it first, Angley came diving in after it and clipped Gray

Whe did the Broncos settle for a long pass (was it a long pass?) instead of calling a time out?
Almost positive they were out of timeouts
Was it really a foul? Or might it have been a no-call. How did the crowd and Bronco bench react to the call?
Definitely a foul, crowd was stunned
A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. SCU players were celebrating with great passion prior to that inbound play.

ZaggyStardust
02-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Here's a really good recap:

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2_020208_gusantaclara.83df1b24.html

SteeleMan
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
when discussing kids with high basketball IQ, Angly may not rate too well. Bizarre.

alaskazagnut
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
They weren't ready to start celebrating. they were already celebrating!!

There were beaming smiles on the entire bench and that look of relief that the game was in hand.

But.....:lmao:

ZagsGoZags
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Angly was chasing the loose ball with the same intensity he had all game long. He was too focused, and missed the big picture. We lost that way to UCLA in the sweet sixteen, for people who try real hard consistently, like the zags, the luck takes turns going around and coming around

MickMick
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
This reminds me of the heat Tony Romo got for fumbling a hold for a placekick in the NFL playoffs.

What annoys me is that the press (and everyone else) acted like that was the only play of the game. The rest of the game didn't count. All the great plays for both sides didn't count. All the bad plays for both sides didn't count. Only one play counted....the botched hold.

Zags were not lucky. Zags were in position to win because of coaching, skill, and effort. There is more to a game than one play!!!

Congrats to the Zags for having icewater veins and keeping composure through the most anxious moments of the game.

VanZagar
02-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Pargo's shot was blocked about 1 inch from his hand. It came back that inch and hit Pargo's hand before going out. Correct call.

Is it possible that Angley was caught up in the idea the long pass would go out of bounds untouched giving the ball back to the Zags under their own basket?

Except for the travel the two second half goaltends were legit. In both cases the ball was coming off the glass. It was hard to see but those two guys on Q6 both reversed themselves and agreed with both calls after seeing the replays.

gamagin
02-03-2008, 08:31 AM
<<Zags were not lucky. Zags were in position to win because of coaching, skill, and effort. There is more to a game than one play!!!

Congrats to the Zags for having icewater veins and keeping composure through the most anxious moments of the game. >>

I said on some other thread we appear to have found the key to our putting things together. a third half.

I'm now wondering who starts against St. Mary's. Clearly, our victory against SC, apres foul, wound down to match ups as well as the Daye-Gray factor.

I'm hoping to see more matchup decision-making the rest of the season.

We need our rabbit on their rabbit. whoever ours is, imo.

Zag4Hire
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
ok...a solid majority of fans outside WA and the great northwest weren't able to see the game or the fateful final four seconds of regulation. CBS gametracker had the final of SCU winning by two after Bryant apparently blocked Pargo's layup attempt with fewer than 4 seconds to play.

So, will someone who saw that sequence of events at the end of regulation describe what happened IN DETAIL? Was Angly's foul accidental, thinking he had a legitimate shot to receive the pass? Whe did the Broncos settle for a long pass (was it a long pass?) instead of calling a time out? Was it really a foul? Or might it have been a no-call. How did the crowd and Bronco bench react to the call?

And lastly, if anyone has video of those final four seconds, could they find it in their still pounding hearts to post it somewhere? The unwashed, unseeing, and disbelieving throng, witnessing the post, would forever praise thy name.:p

As for the play itself, it was a long chuck to just beyond half court, where Gray and Gunderson went for it. The ball came down and Angley slammed into Gray. The crowd was going nuts just before because they thought they had won the game so the reaction to the foul was difficult to gauge. The crazy thing was that the crowd thought they had won so they probably didn't muster as much noise as they could for Gray's EXTREMELY CLUTCH free throws.

In looking at other boards, some posters are stating that the foul wouldn't be a foul in another league, that somehow WCC refs would call that. Even going to the extent of saying that stuff like that isn't called "99 times out of 100".

This is the way I see it:
The refs were calling crazy stuff all over the place throughout the game. 3 goaltending calls? Make up calls galore? A kicked ball during a scrum that should have been called a jump ball? Certainly. Bearing that in mind, you don't the ref a chance to blow the whistle when you don't need to. The refs just bailed an out of control Bronco team during their final possession to give Gunderson(I think?) two free throws that he didn't make. He was out of control during the play but still bailed him out. Angley should have been nowhere near Gray when that happened. Maybe they are getting worried about the shootarounds that Heister and Ehlo mention that Few makes shots from halfcourt and so forth and worried Gray would take a high percentage 40 footer? No idea. The Zags didn't have a good game but it was a great win. The Broncos snatched a loss from the jaws of victory. That is a tough loss but they showed that they can bang with GU so that is good for their program.

roxdoc
02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Gray was chasing the ball which was in front of him near the sideline. Angly ran right into Grays back, knocking him down I believe. It was very obvious (but not on purpose) and they had to call a foul. No ticky tack by any means.

alaskazagnut
02-03-2008, 08:25 PM
<<Zags were not lucky. Zags were in position to win because of coaching, skill, and effort. There is more to a game than one play!!!

To say the Zags were not lucky is wrong IMO. We were lucky that Angley made a bone headed play. Period. I disagree with your first sentence in the above quote but I agree 100% with the second sentence. The two are not mutually exclusive. I just think gamagin is upset that people are generalizing that the only reason we won was because we lucked out. I share in his feeling.

Here are some quotes to prove my point.

Thomas Jefferson:
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have.

Ray Kroc of McDonalds:
Luck is a dividend of sweat.

Robert Collier:
All of us have bad luck and good luck. The man who persists through the bad luck - who keeps right on going - is the man who is there when the good luck comes - and is ready to receive it.

Roy D. Chapin Jr.:
Be ready when opportunity comes...Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet.

Unknown Author:
Good luck is often with the man who doesn't include it in his plans.

Sam Goldwyn:
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Dr. Armand Hammer:
When I work fourteen hours a day, seven days a week, I get lucky.

In my opinion, we got ourselves in the position to benefit from a critical mistake. Call it whatever you want: luck, destiny, or hard work, whatever semantics we want to use.

SCU was very unlucky that Angley had such a lapse in judgement. But did SCU work any less hard to win then we did?