PDA

View Full Version : Grab a book, folks

BobZag
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
The Gonzaga University Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will hold its fourth-annual book drive at the Bulldog women's basketball game against Santa Clara University this Saturday, Feb. 2. The GU SAAC will team up with Page Ahead to hold the book drive starting at 2:00 p.m.

Fans are encouraged to bring new or gently used children books to the east concourse on Saturday. For each book donated, fans will be entered into a raffle for the chance to win great prizes. The prizes, which will be raffled off throughout the game against the Broncos, feature two courtside tickets to one men's basketball game next season, two sets of baseball tickets to the new Patterson Baseball Complex and Washington Trust Field, an autographed basketball by the men's basketball team, a framed limited addition men’s basketball “Great Eight” poster, and more prizes. Fans can also give cash donations to the book drive, which will also enter them into the raffle.

The Zag book drive has collected nearly 2,850 books over the past three years. Last year, the drive collected 850 books that were donated to children in the Spokane area.

Founded in 1990, Page Ahead focuses on improving the reading and language skills of at-risk children thereby increasing their overall literacy skills. To date Page Ahead has distributed more than 1.25 million books to more than 450,000 children in need.

lothar98zag
02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
hopefully the weather doesn't keep people from coming to watch the #1 team in the WCC

Reborn
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Great thread for a great cause. I hope everyone gets behind this...for all the kids.....what a gift. Kids are starving for BOOKS.

wazZag
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Frankly, the weather has not been as horrendous as made out to be. At first it was difficult, but the past few days have been just fine. Our pullman friends have been hit worse, however.

ZagNative
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Where the heck are you, WazZag? It's been every bit as bad as it's been made out to be where I live on the south hill of Spokane, and now that the snow plow finally made its appearance, I've got a berm left by the snow plow blocking my driveway 4' tall by 3' ft across, solid, crusty packed snow and ice.

Lewey
02-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks! I'm going and wouldn't have known. Time to clean out some of my daughters books!