PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Play of the Year

GPZagFan
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Since I'm having such a hard time waiting for the WCC Tournament to begin, I thought this thread deserved some air-time...this way we can live vicariously through all of our top/favorite regular season plays/moments. What resides at the top of your list?

I'm a bit torn - Pargo's Memphis dunk obviously stands out..as does Heytvelt's tomahawk inbounds dunk...but one play I absolutely drooled over -- can't remember the game, might have been Duke or UNC -- was Pargo pulling off the most beautiful spin move...EVER...to go in for the uncontested lay-up. Man it was pretty.

How about you guys?

tobizag
02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Mine would be Pargo's dunk against SMC on the day Josh was suspended. That dunk at the end of the game had so much emotion riding on it and really helped put the exclamation point on an emotional home win (50 in a row) when we desperately needed positive news.

Aside from that, Kuso's block against UNC in the garden was sick (up against the glass), and any play that ended in Josh's stare down.

TM27
02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Dunk, where he hit is head on the rafters, against SMC

wazZag
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I agree with Pargo's dunk v. SMC

ZagMania
02-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm a bit torn - Pargo's Memphis dunk obviously stands out..as does Heytvelt's tomahawk inbounds dunk...but one play I absolutely drooled over -- can't remember the game, might have been Duke or UNC -- was Pargo pulling off the most beautiful spin move...EVER...to go in for the uncontested lay-up. Man it was pretty.

I am pretty sure you are talking about the Duke game at MSG. That was my first Zag game ever and the place was packed with Duke fans.. however they were all stunned at Pargo's beautiful spin that made the defender look lost. The crowd went crazy, truly a beautiful moment.

Zag79
02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
raivios half court shot (how often does it happen, let alone in a GU uni) and pargos dunk on dude in the memphis game.

Nevtelen
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
There are so many... I could cite any of those. But maybe my fav was Josh rejection of Hansbrough's wide-open lay-up. He came from nowhere and pinned it against the glass from behind. Then Hansbrough lost it out-of-bounds because he was so surprised and couldn't recover. Just a technically brilliant, amazingly athletic move.

That 360 dunk by Pargo at the end of the USD game was another fav - just put an exclamation mark at the end of a hard-fought, emotional conference season.

skmlover
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I have to agree with zag79 on the 1/2 court shot! Definately the most memorable for me.

GPZagFan
02-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I am pretty sure you are talking about the Duke game at MSG. That was my first Zag game ever and the place was packed with Duke fans.. however they were all stunned at Pargo's beautiful spin that made the defender look lost. The crowd went crazy, truly a beautiful moment.

A beautiful moment indeed - executed to perfection.

guniverse
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
the best play of the year has to be heytvelts in bound tomahawk jam at the arena. he got so high off the ground it was redicilous. there is no play that even comes close

ZagSlug
02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I am going to go with a less common one, and a bit longer than one play.

I am going with Kuso playing with 4 fouls against Memphis getting position and causing an offensive foul, nailing 2 pressure free throws and then coming down court and blocking a shot.

jazzdelmar
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
.....any of Matt's passes...........anyone can dunk

ZagManFan
02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
OK, lets reach here a bit. How about Mallon's 2 blocks at SD with a bum ankle and whiplash from a flying elbow. Has he ever had 2 blocks in a game?

FuManShoes
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Pargo's dunks and spins have been mighty impressive, and he is a relatively short man with huge hops, but Josh's one-handed jam off the inbounds pass was a sick play - it's the kind of thing you see those guys on trampelines dothe gravity defying feat with no gymnastic assistance. Simply jaw-dropping.

UberZagFan
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
.....any of Matt's passes...........anyone can dunk

I can't. :confused:

El Voce
02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Like Slug, I have to go with Kuso's two free throws against Memphis, especially since he bricked some FT's earlier. Those free throws were incredibly clutch.

ZagSlug
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
El Voce......you are agreeing with me again. getting kinda spooky.

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
There are so many... I could cite any of those. But maybe my fav was Josh rejection of Hansbrough's wide-open lay-up. He came from nowhere and pinned it against the glass from behind. Then Hansbrough lost it out-of-bounds because he was so surprised and couldn't recover. Just a technically brilliant, amazingly athletic move.

That 360 dunk by Pargo at the end of the USD game was another fav - just put an exclamation mark at the end of a hard-fought, emotional conference season.

I vote for this rejection also, Josh absolutely dominated Hansbrough the whole night. All I was hearing that whole week was ACC player of the year blah blah blah, Josh was the better man that night. Runner up has to be Kuso against Memphis. He is not the best foul shooter as we all know, with all the pressure on him, man that was huge. My 3rd place finish is Coach Few hugging Micah at the end of the USD game. I remember Few pulling Micah out of games so many times, a real short leash to say the least. You could just tell how proud Few was of his team and of Micah Downs progression.. What a great season.

Bocco
02-28-2007, 07:48 PM
DR's 56 straight free throws, followed by Heytvelt's rejection, and Pargo's SMC jam at the end of the game

TheZagPhish
02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
.....anyone can dunk

My daughter attended the GU camp in January and at the end there was a Q&A between the players and kids. One of the kids asked if Derek could dunk. He got a little red-cheeked and demurred, while Pargo nudged him to do it. Then Pargo and Pendo stood up, Jeremy pulling Derek up out of his chair. The kids went crazy, stood and cheered as the three headed to a basket. I couldn't see all that well over the throngs of children jumping up and down, but suddenly Raivio shot up to basket. At first I couldn't believe my eyes, but then Pargo's hands came into view - solidly affixed to Derek's waist, lifting him to the basket, where he dunked it.

We get by with a little help from our friends.

roxdoc
02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Can we get that one on You Tube?

MedZag
02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
My daughter attended the GU camp in January and at the end there was a Q&A between the players and kids. One of the kids asked if Derek could dunk. He got a little red-cheeked and demurred, while Pargo nudged him to do it. Then Pargo and Pendo stood up, Jeremy pulling Derek up out of his chair. The kids went crazy, stood and cheered as the three headed to a basket. I couldn't see all that well over the throngs of children jumping up and down, but suddenly Raivio shot up to basket. At first I couldn't believe my eyes, but then Pargo's hands came into view - solidly affixed to Derek's waist, lifting him to the basket, where he dunked it.

We get by with a little help from our friends.

Cool story Hansel.

RebornZag
03-01-2007, 07:05 AM
:cool: But the Kuso Kool play to me, was his dunk against San Diego. Kuso gets a long pass (from Pargo I think)and he catches in the air. As he's coming down DeRogatis is flying toward him to steal the ball (or at least knock it away) and Kuso lands on his feet like a cat and instinctively uses some kind of a move I couldn't see (so couldn't describe) but somehow Kuso, like a fly, buzzes right by DeRogatis untouched. And like a sly cat he jumps into the air and acrobatically throws it down from just inside the foul line. That was one kool Kuso play. :000tens:

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
:clap: .....of course I remember neither the team it happened against nor the precise details, but I think PMac's spurt consisted of a 3 pointer followed by a steal and dunk. It's my favorite because it was a momentum swinger in that game, and it reminds us all of PMac at his best: confident.....athletic...able to impact the game in a huge way on both ends of the court.

pdxzagfan
03-01-2007, 08:08 AM
That was against UW, and that was totally going to be the same play I was going to post today! K2 absolutely erupted after his dunk, it was very cool!