PDA

View Full Version : "A Champion comes home".

HillBillyZag
01-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Where most us horse racing fans thought they should be, Barbaro's remains lie at Churchill Downs. His ashes will be placed an entrance gate in a large elevated space enclosed in brick. A bronze memorial plaque will be placed by the track, and Roy & Gretchen Jackson, Barbaro's owners have commisioned a statue. The site will be dedicated and the staue unveiled in 2009.
"The Derby was for us, the greatest race that Barbaro ever ran, when we think of him it will be with the joy of seeing run around out there." IMHO this colt was a comet, that burned so brightly and was so beautiful that its stay could be but short. The blazing speed and courageous heart of Barbaro will be nobly honored and his memory forever enshrined in the hearts of those of us who had the pleasure of seeing him run.

LynetteG
01-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Thank you for posting this, HBZ. This has been quite an emotional day for me and for all who loved who this Champion was, and still is in our memories. I have no doubt he would have been our next Triple Crown champion, none. He was very special and I am not sure we will see another like him in our lifetimes.

Btw, his youngest full baby brother, the now 1 year old was just officially named. His name was also taken from the same foxhound photo that Barbaro's name was taken from... he is now known as Lentenor. His just turned 2 year old full brother is named Nicanor, in case you did not know that. Nicanor is doing great, just got broke in Ocala and is slated to go to Michael Matz's barn in a few months.

Here are some pictures of their mother, La Ville Rouge, and BB2 (Lentenor), and then some of BB1 (Nicanor):
http://www.millridge.com/barbaros-family.aspx

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the updates, Lynette & Hillbilly. . .Only 95 day until Kentucky Derby 134.

HillBillyZag
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Great of you to share the pics with us. The two colts look great. As a WV farm boy, I grew up around horses and although just an old city slicker now, I still love them. My grandparents were involved in harness racing and my great-grandfather had a horse in the Hambletonian. I was priviledged to attend the "Little Brown Jug" in Delaware Ohio, which is the harness racing event of the season now. I still appreciate the rhythm and style of the pacers and trotters. On my wifes side her late uncle bred Clydesdales and Percherons for years and sold several colts to the Budweiser folks. Also competed in the pulling contests. To see a four or six horse hitch hooked up to a sled during maple sugar harvest was a beautiful sight. And in my oil patch years my boss raced quarterhorses and I learned to admire the dragsters of the equine world. So I guess I am just a horse lover.Thanks for sharing your equine knowledge and love of horses with all of us.And I intend to keep an eye on those kid brothers of Barbaro's. Go Zags!

LynetteG
02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
My grandparents were involved in harness racing and my great-grandfather had a horse in the Hambletonian.

WOW!!! A HUGE thing to be SO very proud of!! WOWOWOW!!!

The farm put up new pics on the link I posted above. WOW do those brothers look FANTASTIC!!!!! Nicanor sure is a STRAPPING 2 year old!! Holy cow!