PDA

View Full Version : #20 St. Mary's >>> unranked Gonzaga

BobZag
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
The writers know it, the coaches know it, the ESPN analysts know it, the non-ESPN analysts know it, objective and neutral fans know it... The Gaels are the cream of the WCC. Congratulations to Randy Bennett & Staff, and their team, on being the best. Congratulations to Mark Few & Staff, and their team, on being the second best.

wiszag
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
That one hurts.

Reborn
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
That's a pretty funny post, Bob. :D But we don't have to wait long to find out do we?

I don't bet, but if I did the one game I'd bet on is the Zags over St. Mary's in one week.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Stirring the ### Bob?

Might as well not play them ;)

Urika
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
BobZag,

Kind words from the Palouse, thank you. In my book, the champ is still the champ unitl beaten. Until then, GU is the literal top dog!

Go Gaels!

Jake C, '94

Ezag
01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Be nice to be the one to knock them outta the top 25 come Feb 4th.

Butler Guy
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
I hope you absolutely beat the tar out of St Mary's!

Some of the Gael fans (what the hell is a Gael?) are sounding awfully familiar to me.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
The writers know it, the coaches know it, the ESPN analysts know it, the non-ESPN analysts know it, objective and neutral fans know it... The Gaels are the cream of the WCC. Congratulations to Randy Bennett & Staff, and their team, on being the best. Congratulations to Mark Few & Staff, and their team, on being the second best.

I know an uneducated businessman that is very successful because he "didn't know it". I am quoting him directly here.

He didn't know that the market was saturated. He didn't know that the competitors were seasoned. He didn't know that the odds were against him.

But most of all...he didn't "know" when to quit. Sometimes you gotta just play the game.

bigblahla
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
We're going Gael hunting. Pesky little fellows, if you listen you can hear them calling each other, oy! oy! oy!.:D

Go!! Zags!!!

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
They are simply better than us at every facet of the game. Do you think we could call the NCAA and get them to go ahead and make our record 26-8 so we don't have to play the rest of the year? Because St.Mary's is definately going to beat us all three times this year. They should just give us our record and just let us cross our fingers on Selection Sunday.

madzag
01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
(what the hell is a Gael?)

A Gael used to be a really cool mascot complete with a blow up suit. He was about 8-9 feet tall and looked to be a knight of some variety. Whenever I saw it at the WCC Tournament, I always had the urge to stick a pin in the suit and see what'd happen but I was a good little GU fan :)

Unfortunately, I believe SMC got rid of that beauty and have probably reverted to a guy in a suit or (worse yet) no mascot at the games.

Butler Guy
01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Is this thing a Gael?
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/stma/graphics/gael-force-1.jpg

It looks like Voltron.

D Hark 2003
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
As anyone with any knowledge of college basketball knows the gaels are the most over rated team in college basketball. They beat oregon at HOME. OREGON was 11th then, but we have all seen how suspect they really are recently. Get out of here with this cream of the WCC B*ll Sh*t! You all know who is #1 and we will see it as soon as we face the gaels. I congratulate them on only having two losses, but if you look at their schedule they have not played anyone good except for the two teams they lost to, and Oregon, who maybe a tourney team and may not. We have all seen the ducks struggle lately. I have no clue why bobzag would be swinging from the gaels balls this year but it makes me think he really doesnt know much about hoop.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Is this thing a Gael?
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/stma/graphics/gael-force-1.jpg

It looks like Voltron.

Voltron? Thanks ButlerGuy....now I gotta clean up this water that I spit all over my keyboard.

Butler Guy
01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/11800-4/Voltron1.jpg

zag944
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
st marys has been the 2nd best program in the WCC for the last 5 years or so and it is good to see them getting some national recognition.

I am glad that the rivalry for the top spot in the conference has come as a product of a non GU team building a great program...and not as a product of GU's program declining.

Hopefully the 2 or 3 games we play against St. Marys turn some heads towards the WCC. Should be fun!

S.U. Chieftain
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
actually...if you "google" the name GAEL you come up with this guy:
HENRY GAEL http://z.about.com/d/lost/1/0/U/K/-/-/Michael.jpg

zagco
01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Zagco is always hoping that someday, as our coaching staff improves, we will be able to recruit at the level we were recruiting back in the late 1990s. Zagco knows it's rare to get that kind of perennial Sweet 16/Elite 8 talent, but he really yearns for the constant intensity, shooting skills, and chippiness that those great, great teams had.

ZagMania
01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
yay for Henry Gael and Lost! Just a couple more days until the new season comes on.

kitzbuel
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
actually...if you "google" the name GAEL you come up with this guy:
HENRY GAEL http://z.about.com/d/lost/1/0/U/K/-/-/Michael.jpg

So, is that what God looks like?

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Bobzag was being sarcastic, I know I was.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
This is the official spit your drink on your keyboard thread.

You are killin me Kitzbuel

lothar98zag
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
As anyone with any knowledge of college basketball knows the gaels are the most over rated team in college basketball. They beat oregon at HOME. OREGON was 11th then, but we have all seen how suspect they really are recently. Get out of here with this cream of the WCC B*ll Sh*t! You all know who is #1 and we will see it as soon as we face the gaels. I congratulate them on only having two losses, but if you look at their schedule they have not played anyone good except for the two teams they lost to, and Oregon, who maybe a tourney team and may not. We have all seen the ducks struggle lately. I have no clue why bobzag would be swinging from the gaels balls this year but it makes me think he really doesnt know much about hoop.
:eek:

primal23
01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Well I will respectfully disagree with you BZ, SMC has played no one, save Oregon and they arent that great imo, and at home. SMC would get blown out of the water if they ever played Memphis at Memphis. It would not be close.

GaelBaller
01-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Well I will respectfully disagree with you BZ, SMC has played no one, save Oregon and they arent that great imo, and at home. SMC would get blown out of the water if they ever played Memphis at Memphis. It would not be close.

I guess you have a pretty selective memory. Ever hear of Drake? Yea, the #16 AP Drake Bulldogs.

Seton Hall, San Diego St. and Ohio are hardly bad teams either.

primal23
01-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok I stand corrected guess we find out how good both teams are next week.

lothar98zag
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Zag fans on this board make outlandish statements regarding GU w/o doing research, is it really that surprising that similar false statements would be made about a team that they don't follow religiously ?

McZag
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Bob - you have had some good ones over the years and this is one of the best. As we all know rankings mean everything. The committee should ignore RPI, SOS and focus only on the rankings. Classic. :lmao:

MedZag
01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Sacre has his hair in corn rows now. We're DOOMED.

odeasmcgu
01-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Dear Gonzaga fans,

I went to SMC for undergrad, and now attend GU for law school. Although I will always love my undergrad first, I have always had respect for Gonzaga (even when high school) and feel proud to be a part of your school.
With that said, where are the old Zags? The classic underdogs that were the darlings of college basketball in the late 90s and early 21st century, the team that you couldn't help but cheer for. I remember watching Matt Santangelo and Richie Fraham beat UW in Seattle. The point is things have gone to your guy's heads. Where do you get off believing that its so unfair or unjust that SMC is ranked ahead of you?
You should be happy that the Gaels are making some noise to bring more prestige to the conference. Don't you want to have some sort of rivalry during conference play. I recall several Zags consistently saying that someone in the WCC should step up and make the commitment. Now the Gaels are attempting to answer the call and you say that our ranking isn't justified.
My hope is the Gaels never get the over sized head MANY NEW BULLDOGS HAVE should we attain the "basketball prestige" you have earned...

FYI: a Gael is a Celtic Knight.

bigblahla
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Dear odeasmcgu,

I don't think the Gael fans will have to worry about that. But don't worry we'll be glad to help punch your ticket to the NIT.

Go!! Zags!!!

kylasdad
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
With that said, where are the old Zags? The classic underdogs that were the darlings of college basketball in the late 90s and early 21st century, the team that you couldn't help but cheer for. I remember watching Matt Santangelo and Richie Fraham beat UW in Seattle. The point is things have gone to your guy's heads. Where do you get off believing that its so unfair or unjust that SMC is ranked ahead of you?

The words of a few do not represent the whole

When a team wins consistently for a decade, they and their fan-base will change. Some things for the better, some things for the worse.

Good for the celtic knights, they are having a great season. I for one am very excited for the game. It will be a tough game.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Dear Gonzaga fans,

I went to SMC for undergrad, and now attend GU for law school. Although I will always love my undergrad first, I have always had respect for Gonzaga (even when high school) and feel proud to be a part of your school.
You should be happy that the Gaels are making some noise to bring more prestige to the conference. Don't you want to have some sort of rivalry during conference play. I recall several Zags consistently saying that someone in the WCC should step up and make the commitment. Now the Gaels are attempting to answer the call and you say that our ranking isn't justified.
My hope is the Gaels never get the over sized head MANY NEW BULLDOGS HAVE should we attain the "basketball prestige" you have earned...

Those darlings went away with the glass slippers.

It works both ways. After years of beating good BCS teams, dominating the home floor, and consistently representing the WCC in post season, many WCC fans wait eagerly to pounce on every Zag misfortune. When they do so, what type of reaction do you think they will get? Not all, but a few are reaping what they sow. Those that try to keep it civil are caught in the middle. This isn't unique to college sports. Check out any message board of your choosing.

Zags can never go back to being darlings if for no other reason than you can't be perceived as a darling and a bully at the same time.

alaskazagnut
01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
is the only thing keeping St Marys moving up in the polls. The same thing has helped us in years past. But with 2 more losses to Gonzaga and maybe even to San diego, the "Celtic Knights" will be on the bubble for the big dance. I hope they get in.

Bobzag's post is strictly tongue in cheek.

Once and Future Zag
01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
FYI: Gaels are most emphatically NOT "Celtic Knights"

Gaels really should be wearing cuir bouille - maybe a little mail - and using short swords and javelins (and other spears). Really they were notsomuch with the plate armor, lances, etc...

http://www.godisagael.com/images/giag_new.jpg

:-)

ETA: man that's a wide image.

Nevtelen
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Dear SMC Fans et al:

In all honesty, St Mary's does have a good team this year I think. They have won some great games and played tough opponents and should be respected. GU fans (me included) have wanted exactly this - another WCC team stepping up and making noise - for years. I really think it's great what SMC has done and really respect their program (minus Samhan). I've been pulling for them in every OOC and conference matchup they've played. I was actually pretty excited to watch them beat Oregon. Mills is clearly the real deal, as is Simpson and the rest of the team seem solid. But...

Come on! This is the conference foe we've wanted for a looooong time! In the Top 25! The Zags are playing for some revenge next Mon! There is some serious smack to be talked this week!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Way to set it off, BZ!!!

JAGzag
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
So, is that what God looks like?

OMG! I don't care what you say, that there is funny! :lmao:

Psychozag
01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
If God had a name, what would it be
And would you call it to his face
If you were faced with him in all his glory
What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

If God had a face what would it look like
And would you want to see
If seeing meant that you would have to believe
In things like heaven and in jesus and the saints and all the prophets

And yeah yeah god is great yeah yeah god is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
He's trying to make his way home
Back up to heaven all alone
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the pope maybe in rome

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if god was one of us
Just trying to make his way home
Like a holy rolling stone
Back up to heaven all alone
Just trying to make his way home
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the pope maybe in rome

ZagSlug
01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Uh....maybe 2 people in this thread don't think SMC is that good while the rest do.

Some people just don't like Samhan and dislike SMC.

Consider it the Travis Neisen Effect.

Once and Future Zag
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
In all honesty, St Mary's does have a good team this year I think. They have won some great games and played tough opponents and should be respected. GU fans (me included) have wanted exactly this - another WCC team stepping up and making noise - for years. I really think it's great what SMC has done and really respect their program (minus Samhan). I've been pulling for them in every OOC and conference matchup they've played. I was actually pretty excited to watch them beat Oregon. Mills is clearly the real deal, as is Simpson and the rest of the team seem solid. But...

Come on! This is the conference foe we've wanted for a looooong time! In the Top 25! The Zags are playing for some revenge next Mon! There is some serious smack to be talked this week!!!

Well said. I've watched a few games, and the team looks good (except for Samhan - at least he lost the silly 'hawk... now if the Golden gets rid of his)

alaskazagnut
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Can people please remind me why I don't like Samhan? I seem to remember him being a serious whiny cry-baby during our games.

ZagsGoZags
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
hey Bobzag
it worked
thanks for getting us all riled up
I am so glad SMC is still ranked highly, it gives us something to key on

Once and Future Zag
01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Can people please remind me why I don't like Samhan? I seem to remember him being a serious whiny cry-baby during our games.

Yelling F--- You at the Gonzaga crowd/bench pretty much did it for me.

That and his in-the-paint play is just shy of goon-aggressive IMO. He's effective, but just seems kinda nasty.

I'm sure if he was a Zag we'd be all over his hustle and toughness... but he's not a Zag - hence nasty and brutish :-)

Ziggy
01-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Amongst other things, alaskazagnut, I recall him making some move he thought was hot and then displayed his lack of class with some obscene gesture to the fans on our home court. Not to mention the humongous man-boobs which he since has tamed. Others might remember more egregious events.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Gaels going down to USD.

ZagSlug
01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
and will USD storm the court if they win?

How many times a year do we have the storm the court discussion?

ZagSlug
01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
USD wins,......

SMC is 1-3 when ranked?

treehorn
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Congratulations to Coach Grier on beating the best team in the WCC, and the number 21 team in the country.

OZZag
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Gaels gone against USD Samhan did nothing in the secind half......

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Man I was actually pulling for the Gaels. Now they won't be ranked Monday Night. I feel good for Grier though. Okay now I'm ready for these Gael fans to come back and say something. No matter how much we would like to see a WCC team push us, they might always just be our "little brother".

bigblahla
01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Congrats to Coaches Grier and Bankhead.

All is right in the universe as Zags alone on top of the WCC.

Go!! Zags!!!

zag buddy
01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I look forward to the day when three teams in the wcc go to the dance. Of corse there will have to be a lot of good press for the other two schools and that's a good thing.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Life is easy standing on the mountain. Let's see how well SMC can crawl out of a hole. Remember last year when WCC fans claimed that SCU "gift wrapped" the conference title to us.

Yea....that is the hole I'm talking about. Nothing is "given" to you. It is all about climbing out of the hole. The teams with the mettle show up at the end of the day.

primal23
01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Upon further review, thanks to a SMC fan, I have been corrected, and they do have some impressive wins. The only thing I see is that they by and large seem to be at home. Also, I like the program, Bennett(sp?) is a heck of a classy coach, and so are all the players save Samhan. Also wanted to point out that the same could, and probably was said about GU with AMMO. As much as I liked watching him, he was an ass at times. So I apologize for my previous ignorance, and am pleased to have been corrected. :o

kitzbuel
01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Here is to Grier, still hooking up the Zags!

pbriz
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I am just waiting to hear what Gaelgyrl has to say.

This is what I have to say to her:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. HA!

(I usually don't do this, but she drives me crazy. And I don't like Samhan)

RenoZag
01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, that nice full page portrait in Sports Illustrated last week sure paid dividends, didn't it ??

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. . . Oy! Oy! Oy !

sullyzag66
01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Better double the Vegemite order.

Ziggy
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Anybody seen Gaelballer in the last few minutes? Hmmm, he must be eating crow somewhere. Well after you're done Gb be sure and give us your spin...:p

Ziggy
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, that nice full page portrait in Sports Illustrated last week sure paid dividends, didn't it ??

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. . .

Elite runners know it as the SI Curse. Hey ask Adam and JJ, they'll tell you!

sdzag
01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Bobzag,
You hurt me deap? When a zag goes into Moraga with Zag faithful, he wants support from the board, not negative! BZ you cut me deep! We will try to move on this weekend. BZ you use to be our hope in sunny San Diego now you are fallen Hero!

sdzag
01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Just Kidding, We in San Diego will love BZ for life but would like a little more concern for St. Mary's. They are a good team and need to be aware! I think I will be at the first of three defeats of St.Mary's. I also will be the first one to raise the overrated flag. So lets go zags!

kylasdad
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I think a "Gael" force wind blew the "Celtic Knight" fans away from our board!!;)

alaskazagnut
01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
and most of me likes that SMC lost. But I really wanted them to be ranked when we played them. They still would have a pretty good RPI also. Now we might have to beat them twice to win the conference outright and maintain integrity. St Mary's let down the Zags and the entire conference with this loss as far as national recognition goes.

GoZags
01-28-2008, 09:16 PM
and most of me likes that SMC lost. But I really wanted them to be ranked when we played them. They still would have a pretty good RPI also. Now we might have to beat them twice to win the conference outright and maintain integrity. St Mary's let down the Zags and the entire conference with this loss as far as national recognition goes.

I hope they can get by Portland on Saturday. Wouldn't want to face a team with 2 WCC losses on Monday in Moraga.

ZagsGoZags
01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Dear oseas.. thanks for your post I have had some of your feelings this year also

I must say, though, as a fairly consistent reader on this blog, that (as many have already said) over 90% of the contributors have shared your opinion -- good feelings towards SMC, welcoming them to the higher level, thanking them for some good competition within the WCC, happy for the WCC to get some more national attention, etc. Good will for the most part, with the polite exception of still hoping GU wins.

I think Bob zag and Gaelgyrl have introjected some sass, spunk, and in-your-face remarks which has got the home crowd working up to the big game saturday.

Personally, I hope the SMC team does well, beating everyone from here on out, except us of course, and playing in the Big Dance. The only think I do not like is samham, he was a poor sport last year, hot dogging it and making faces like a child brat an inappropriate times

alaskazagnut
01-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I know we are better than SMC in every facet except team cohesiveness. I would bet that SMC would trade any of their 2 other victories for this nest game GU top priority.

There is no post season if you cannot beat the Zags in the WCC!!!!!

Gaelgyrl
01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
I think Bob zag and Gaelgyrl have introjected some sass, spunk, and in-your-face remarks which has got the home crowd working up to the big game saturday.

Exactly dead on point, Go Zags! Thank God someone hasn't taken this so seriously! It's amazing to see just how easily riled up the GU board gets just because a Gael says that Gonzaga is BEATABLE.......I think this is maybe my 7th post and already it's off with her head! Can't someone on your board have a different opinion as long as it's presented in a respectful manor?

At any rate, on any given night a good team is just that: beatable. What I do not understand is 1) why Zags take it so personally and 2) in retaliation, begin to make comments into personal potshots. It then becomes the messenger, not the message.

I'm a fan of the game, just like everyone else. Ribbing and making fun is part of the game. It's funny to me that the gestures that Samhan made him oh so hated. Even Gaels agree that he is ONE player who had a terrible lapse of good judgment. He made a mistake and knows what he did was wrong.

With that said, please enlighten me why the Kennel fans hateful Brokeback remarks directed at Kickert last year are acceptable. Did your entire collective Kennel have a "lapse of good judgment"? Is that why Spitzer had to take responsibility for the school and write an official letter of apology to SMC? Funny how that incident never seems to get brought up and discussed.

It's a new season. I'm not here to rehash the past or make personal attacks; just looking for a good game. Ribbing the rivalry by injecting a little spunk and sass is part of being a rival fan :)

alaskazagnut
01-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Obviously we like to feed on the many opinions here. But regardless of where our allegience lies, at least we end up on top tonight!!! Next monday will be the WCC defining moment. It will define the next 2 months until the WCC tournament.

Gaelgyrl, any wagers on our game next monday???

100 that we beat the spread.

100 reputation points that is!!

JAGzag
01-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Man I was actually pulling for the Gaels. Now they won't be ranked Monday Night.

Same here!

bigblahla
01-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Gaelgyrl,

The Brokeback comments were in poor taste but meant in jest, college kids razzing an opposing player and nothing more. Bad judgement yes, but it was the media that blew it out of proportion.

Samhan on the other hand said "F*** ***" to the whole Zag nation and yeah I kind of think we take that personal.

As far as wanting another team in the WCC to do well, that team, for me, handed your guys their lunch last night. Grier and Bankhead may be at USD but we are family. I know they want to beat the Zags but they still are family.

As far as the Gaels go you've got a good team but now you know as MickMick addressed previouly in this thread about falling off the mountain and climbing back up, if you think it's going to get easier for the Gaels you're wrong.

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Can't someone on your board have a different opinion as long as it's presented in a respectful manor?

At any rate, on any given night a good team is just that: beatable. What I do not understand is 1) why Zags take it so personally and 2) in retaliation, begin to make comments into personal potshots. It then becomes the messenger, not the message.

( Insert reference to Brokeback Mountain incident here )

It's a new season. I'm not here to rehash the past or make personal attacks; just looking for a good game. Ribbing the rivalry by injecting a little spunk and sass is part of being a rival fan :)

It's your manner in our manor that will lead to more potshots. . .you complain about Samhan & Kickert's treatment LAST YEAR and in the next breath, claim you aren't here to rehash the past. . .

Don't complain about getting stung after you poke the hornet's nest.

McZag
01-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Dear Gonzaga fans,

I hope at some point you truly enjoy enough success to believe in your team and know they can be more than passing darlings. Of course your team will need to become darlings first but if you are lucky enough to advance to 4 Sweet 16's in 8 years you will feel anything but cute and cuddly. We know. We've done it.

That said we have been desperately waiting for parity in the WCC and what SMC is doing and USD is doing is exactly what we need. I always thought eventually P-dine and SCU would rise to try to knock us off the top but am thrilled none the less that SMC and USD are making strides. The day when the WCC gets 2-3 bids consistently in the dance will be a day we can all look forward to and strive toward.

Thanks for participating on our baord. I will be rooting for the Gaels when they are not playing the Zags. Good luck the rest of the way.

treehorn
01-29-2008, 05:46 AM
With that said, please enlighten me why the Kennel fans hateful Brokeback remarks directed at Kickert last year are acceptable. Did your entire collective Kennel have a "lapse of good judgment"? Is that why Spitzer had to take responsibility for the school and write an official letter of apology to SMC? Funny how that incident never seems to get brought up and discussed.

We all felt terrible when the pictures on the Internet of Daniel Kickert drunkenly kissing his teammate resulted in the KC's Brokeback chant. Daniel's sexual orientation is his personal business. He should not have to face such treatment in the Kennel just because he happens to be gay or bi or whatever.

It would be almost as bad if the KC were to chant "Mansiere" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mansiere) when Omar Samhan takes the court in Spokane.

And I am sure we can expect our center to be treated respectfully by the Gael fans when GU visits Moraga, right?

zagfan07
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM

His bra size puts Pamela Anderson to shame. And the whole F-U thing and flipping off the GU bench down in Moraga last year.

T-bonedazag
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
wow so it really looks like SMC is the class of the conference being in second place

ZaggyStardust
01-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Exactly dead on point, Go Zags! Thank God someone hasn't taken this so seriously! It's amazing to see just how easily riled up the GU board gets just because a Gael says that Gonzaga is BEATABLE.......I think this is maybe my 7th post and already it's off with her head! Can't someone on your board have a different opinion as long as it's presented in a respectful manor?

Maybe, Gaelgyrl, it's because everyone knows you aren't the "respectful fan" you profess to be.... Wasn't this written by you on the SCU board? Yeah, I'd say that shows all sorts of respect for Gonzaga Fans and Spokane as a whole!

Support the WCC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, let me get this straight, Broncofan - you're condoning the Brokeback comments by a few (probably local) Gonzaga students who have probably never been outside of the citylimits of Spokane?

Have you ever been to the Kennel? The best thing I can say about that place is seeing it in my rear view mirror as we drove back to Seattle. The Bulldog games are the best entertainment they have in town. In fact, last year when we went to see the Gaels play there, the next best thing in town on that Saturday night was the Monster truck show next door. There were actually local fans in the stands asking where St. Mary's was (and I guarantee you that they would have asked where Santa Clara was as well) even as they held the game programs in their hand. Very sad.

So, do you really think we took those Brokeback comments for real? They were sadly made by some very young and unworldly individuals. Do you honestly think that some of those people in Spokane will ever travel to Australia and understand the people and culture there? Need I say more? We just considered the source and thanked God that we didn't live there.

Ever heard Adam Morrison give an interview after playing in the bay area? "Can't wait to get the hell out of there" - yeah, Adam, the bay area: the most culturally diverse, technologically-based and business driven place on the whole freaking planet. Yes, please leave as quickly as possible.

As for SCU and SMC and dare I say most other WCC colleges on the far west coast - thank your lucky stars that you went to a college in the heart of western civilization culture and diversity. Having a community like Berkeley so close is a good thing, especially if you have traveled anywhere else in the United States where you can see a difference. I can speak from personal experience because I lived in Boise for 2 years (after graduation and luckily living in the bay area all of my life) and it was the same type of attitude I felt being in Spokane. Be grateful that you went to a college located in a part of the country with some worldly culture and tolerance.

So, your question: why do I care? Because trash talking is nothing more than a sign of pure ignorance. Period. I will go out on a limb and bet that your Mother taught you: If you if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Words of wisdom. You have an education seeded in tradition and Christian values - use it.

Edited by: tomgyrl31 at: 12/28/07 3:01 am

zag944
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Great find Stardust!

wow, talk about snooty

lawzag
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM

my reasons for intensely disliking Samhan:

flippin' off the KC 2 years ago & yelling "f*** you" to the crowd last year.
(shows he's a poor sport and a cry-baby.)

plus his appearance is just slovenly...... :D

El Voce
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Stardust -- Nicely played!

ZaggyStardust
01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Stardust -- Nicely played!

;) ;) ;)

TheZagPhish
01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
:roll:

It's amazing how some effete big metropolis mindsets choose to see Spokane residents. I encounter this all the time working in Seattle (where I always put on a tie with my overalls and take the straw out of my teeth).

It must be surprising to some that anyone here was sophisticated enough to get a ball club together.

Generalizations are typically the currency of youth and inexperience.

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Gaelgyrl,
you are not imagining things if you think you can get dissed by disagreeing, or dissed by saying a negative criticism of the zags in this board. It is a problem we have, IMO, and discuss frequently.

Last year when sanham had scored a lay-in, and was running back down the court, he made mocking faces at the crowd, like a grade schooler putting thumbs in ears and wagging fingers. It makes me not like him, but I certainly like the rest of your team, and hope you do well this season and next.

Actually I was not on the board yet last year when the brokeback incident occurred, but I know it was discussed a lot where I work, and in a sharply critical way. Much of the community was embarrassed, and I am glad to know there was an official apology.

The ZAGS have a mighty tradition of clean-cut, sportsmanlike play, with the same kind of school and community to back them. I hope we continue in that tradition we are all so proud of up here (in the land of deep snow).

ZagSlug
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
The irony of the Kickert thing was that it was done at USF about 2 weeks before the game in Spokane and nobody made a big deal about it. Maybe they were not loud enough, I don't know...... but there was a poster talking about that cheer and seeming quite proud of it before SMC ever made it to Spokane.

We all know how the Bay Area is the most civilized and diverse part of the country and would never do such a thing.

I am one of those people that find the pregame posturing between anonymous people on the internet annoying, all attacks and no substance. I know some people like it but it starts to invade thread after thread that has nothing to do with smack talk.

D Hark 2003
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I told you all that the Gayls were overrated! Lost to USD. i cant believe that people actually had that team in the top 25... They should have their votes permanently removed.

UberZagFan
01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Can't someone on your board have a different opinion as long as it's presented in a respectful manor?

That's crazy talk. Crazy, Uber says.

TheZagPhish
01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
That's crazy talk. Crazy, Uber says.

A respectful manor:
http://www.lookaroundireland.com/imgages/castles/large/AdareManor.jpg

Psychozag
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
We get the "Spokane sucks" thing from the Bay Area just the same as we got it from the Husky fans. I always think...aren't we talking about our basketball teams here? I guess once we have won the basketball argument, then all they have left is "ya, well Spokane sucks". Strawman fallacy. It's the equivalent of "I don't care because you are a poopy head".

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
A respectful manor:
http://www.lookaroundireland.com/imgages/castles/large/AdareManor.jpg

Bruce Wayne not included. . .:p

PeninsulaDog
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Of the many great reasons for living in the Bay Area, I have never considered Berkeley's proximity as a benefit. (Although Berkeley has perhaps the world's only grove of smelly hippy-laden trees, that alone isn't enough of a draw for me.) Folks, I live with this attitude every day of my life: I am constantly reminded how wonderfully diverse and tolerant and mulitcultural and enlightened and evolved the people of the Bay Area are. As if there are uniform sensibilities shared by the entire 5 million people here. The vast expanse of the United States between the coasts is, for cultural elites (snobs) like the Gael poster, simply the "flyover" inhabited by the unwashed neanderthals.

ZagSlug
01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Agreed Peninsula, don't get the Berkeley thing. Every village has its share of idiots including Spokane and Moraga.

I did go to school in Santa Cruz which has hippies that smell like a different type of plant.

hockeyzag
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Gaelgyrl Quote: "the bay area: the most culturally diverse, technologically-based and business driven place on the whole freaking planet."

http://www.kristophersimmons.com/videos/images/south_park-smug_alert.gif

The Bay Area, the Smuggiest city on the whole freaking planet!

zaguarxj
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
If the smug cloud from GaelGirl's post combines with the smug cloud from George Clooney's acceptance speech, it will combine and form a smug super-cell which will threaten the entire bay area. We've got to get all the Zag fans out of there before it's too late.

ZagSlug
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
You are aware that the Bay Area is considered a "mega region" and not a city?

You aren't planning on evacuating us to the SuperDome are you?

zaguarxj
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
You aren't planning on evacuating us to the SuperDome are you?

If that's where the closest monster truck rally is being held, it'll have to do...

p.s. I know! Santa Clara is in Cuba!!!

Reborn
01-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Go BZ go. Who do you pick now Bob?

ClownRoyalZag
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Of the many great reasons for living in the Bay Area, I have never considered Berkeley's proximity as a benefit. (Although Berkeley has perhaps the world's only grove of smelly hippy-laden trees, that alone isn't enough of a draw for me.) Folks, I live with this attitude every day of my life: I am constantly reminded how wonderfully diverse and tolerant and mulitcultural and enlightened and evolved the people of the Bay Area are. As if there are uniform sensibilities shared by the entire 5 million people here. The vast expanse of the United States between the coasts is, for cultural elites (snobs) like the Gael poster, simply the "flyover" inhabited by the unwashed neanderthals.

You should have alot of time each day to savor the moments of living in the Bay Area. Whether it is stuck in traffic on 17, 80, 280, 580, 680, 780, etc. there is always a few hours each day to gather your thoughts and then post such elegantly. :p

pbriz
01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Gonzaga, Spokane, etc is made up of hicks according to Gaelgyrl. She should explain this.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1univmas_w_brief.php

Yes we are #3, St. Mary's at #11

ZagsGoZags
01-30-2008, 01:30 AM
I think Berkeley is truly unique
it is always in the political avant guarde, though nearly all of their advocations fizzle, it is still a good weather vane

for an important academic topic, burying yourself in this library for a day or two will produce more than any library I have ever heard of or experienced

plus the campus, if you have ever walked around on it, feels like the Big Time Campus of the World

I would not say its stores or shops are unique, because many other locales in the Bay Area are artsy-fartsy also, but it may be tops in number of deep academic bookstores

It also houses many of the great powerhouse departments of many academic fields of study. It is always in the top ten for overall research productivity

westcoasthoops101
01-30-2008, 03:16 AM
The Bay Area is one of the greatest places in the world.

PeninsulaDog
01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I think Berkeley is truly unique
it is always in the political avant guarde, though nearly all of their advocations fizzle, it is still a good weather vane

for an important academic topic, burying yourself in this library for a day or two will produce more than any library I have ever heard of or experienced

plus the campus, if you have ever walked around on it, feels like the Big Time Campus of the World

I would not say its stores or shops are unique, because many other locales in the Bay Area are artsy-fartsy also, but it may be tops in number of deep academic bookstores

It also houses many of the great powerhouse departments of many academic fields of study. It is always in the top ten for overall research productivity

No argument from me -- UC Berkeley is among the world's great universities. It just happens to have the misfortune of being located in a city that has a lot of really awful people: http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_8127493

zagfan07
01-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Gonzaga, Spokane, etc is made up of hicks according to Gaelgyrl. She should explain this.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1univmas_w_brief.php

Yes we are #3, St. Mary's at #11

One of my favoirte Student section chants of all time was yelling "Safe-ty School" to the St. Mary's students a few years back at the WCC tourney. That got them going a little.

SteelCityZag
01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Berkeley is not the home of Saint Mary's College. Moraga is.

Me thinks that the Gaels who are criticizing Spokane are attaching themselves to "Berkeley" and the "Bay Area" because of feeling that the little ole backwater that is Moraga (which plenty of people in Berkeley would have to consult a map if they wanted to drive there, is just a little inadequate.

Additionally, isn't characterizing an entire group of people whom you've never met as backwards and not open minded kind of the wrong type of behavior for someone from the culturally diverse and foreward thinking Bay Area?

###...meet kettle.

beatsc
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Once and Future Zag;155634]Yelling F--- You at the Gonzaga crowd/bench pretty much did it for me.QUOTE]

Just so everyone is on the same page. Omar directed his concerns at the last SMC home game specifically at the Gonzaga coaching staff.

All you dogs can relax. He wasn't flipping off your mom.

If you are planning to come down to the bay area for the Monday game, let me know and I will buy you a beer. You Zags are a lot like us down south. We like to have a good time with our buddies.

Good Luck!

beatsc

hockeyzag
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh great, thanks for the clarification. We were way off, Omar is a real standup guy.

beatsc
01-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey, its going to be a great game. We both have good teams. However, I think the Zags are the best team in the league.

I am pretty sure I have enough material to go toe to toe with you about your team and coaching staff. But that is all BS. Don't you think?

My offer still stands.

Good luck to your ball club.

beatsc

rennis
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
I am pretty sure I have enough material to go toe to toe with you about your team and coaching staff. But that is all BS. Don't you think?

Pretty sure if any GU player was caught by the coaches giving the opposing coaches the finger (or equivalent) that player would sit the rest of the game...as a start to their punishment.

not sure how you see our players' behaviors equal given that theory.

zagfan07
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
I agree SC, St. Mary's has had a fantastic year thus far. It's been nice to hear something from the media about the WCC other than the coaching situations in the conference. If I was going to the game, I'd take you up on that offer for a beer. All of this stuff on the board is just a way of getting the GU fans riled up for the game on Monday. I'm sure Omar isn't the total jerk he seems to be from watching St. Mary's games, but when he flips off the GU bench and starts cursing at the coaching staff and players, we as fans take it personal. I'm sure your fan base would do the same. Here's to a great game on Monday, I think its going to be fun to watch. Best of luck the rest of the way, unless you're playing GU of course. :D