• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagfan07
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

New Bracketology

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

GU remains as a 6 seed at-large bid with a first round matchup against Syracuse. If we can win the rest of our games, I see us ending up as high as a 4 seed. The teams around that ranking right now have been losing lately and I think we could sneak in there, especially with a win at St. Mary's. Here's to the Zags running the table the rest of the way!!!
    GU Class of '07

• FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

A 6 seed? I don't see it

Not to blast my favorite team, but where are the marquee wins? UConn seems to be about it, and that isn't saying a whole lot. I'm still not convinced the Zags are a tourney team unless they get to the WCC Final. Even with a sweep of St. Mary's (my god, now we're counting on a WCC foe to BOOST our RPI?), I foresee an 8 or 9 seed.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• D Hark 2003
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

I hope we get a 10 seed. We have always done really well from that spot. I dont like where 8-9 seeds are placed, right by the #1
      GO ZAGS

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Re:

You don't need marquee wins to be a 5 or 6 seed. You need them to be in the top seeds lines, though. What you need are quality wins. If Gonzaga can beat St. Mary's twice, they'll probably have at least 5 top 50 RPI wins on their resume, and possibly 10 top 100 wins.

2006, 3 seed: 3 top 50 wins
        2005, 3 seed: 5 top 50 wins
        2004, 2 seed: 2 top 50 wins
        2002, 6 seed: 2 top 50 wins

History suggests that a 5 or 6 seed is not out of reach, even if Gonzaga drops one game to SMC. I don't know about a 4....that might require running the table.

The Memphis loss could end up being the best example of a "quality loss" that any tourney team has...especially if Tennessee ends up getting blasted when they play at Memphis later this season. Keep in mind that St. Joe's and Western KY are going to have a real chance to win their conferences as well. GU was minus 2 starters in two of their losses.....

The goal for Gonzaga is get a seed somewhere in the 5-6 range. Avoid the top two seed lines the first weekend.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2007

If we were to be a six seed, I would hope that we would be in the West or Midwest bracket. I looked and there weren't really any 1st and 2nd round games in the Northwest. But the first and second rounds in the West and Midwest are played in Washington D.C., while in the South region (Where they hve us now) it's played in Little Rock. I'm pretty sure we have more fans on the East Coast than in Arkansas. I know I'd go. However, at this point, I just want to be in the Dance.
          "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

The team you draw and how you match up with them is vastly more important than seeding. I would take a nine seed with a good match up over a 5 seed with a bad match up any day (Please don't give us Butler). Seeding is something nice to talk about on message boards. A brief day or two of prestige until the teams hit the court.

Yes...the Zags can match up better to some higher seeds than selected lower seeds.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

I like the #6 seed. I've wanted the #3-#6 seed all along. Was hoping at first for a #3, but really what's the difference? #6 is great. I love the bracket we're in now. The only problem is how many times that will change between now and March? I love the match ups we'd have if we won...Texas in 2nd round, and then WSU in the Sweet 16 and Memphis in Elite 8. Now that would be a perfect path to the Final 4, imo.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ZagMania
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

A 6 seed is definitely possible, but we can't afford to have a lapse and let a bad WCC team beat us. A loss to any team besides St. Mary's will destroy our RPI and drop us down quite a bit. The reason we would get around a 6 seed right now is that while we don't have any great wins we don't have any bad losses (besides maybe Texas Tech).

Comment

• Butler Guy
                  Kennel Club
                  • Apr 2007

Hmm, I don't know about that

Keep in mind that St. Joe's and Western KY are going to have a real chance to win their conferences as well.
                  Maybe WKU, but South Alabama has been clearly superior thus far. As for St Joes? They don't have much of a prayer. Xavier, Rhode Island, Duquense, and probably Dayton as well, will finish higher in the A10. Maybe UMASS too?

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

St. Joe's has more than a prayer

As for St Joes? They don't have much of a prayer. Xavier, Rhode Island, Duquense, and probably Dayton as well, will finish higher in the A10. Maybe UMASS too?
                    I wouldn't agree that they don't have a prayer BG. St. Joe's has already beaten UMass twice, and Dayton is really struggling. Dayton has lost three in a row, and they got blasted by Richmond last week. The problem for St. Joe's is that Xavier is the only school among the supposed A-10 elite that they get to face at home. The Hawks have to travel to Rhode Island, Duquense and Dayton, and they also have to face Xavier on the road. The Hawks only A-10 loss was at Charlotte, and it was a nail biter. Xavier is probably the most talented, but they got blasted at Temple, who St. Joe's beat at Temple on Saturday. I saw that game, I think St. Joe's is a better team since Gonzaga played them. That being said, they do face an uphill battle with their A-10 sked compared to some of the other teams.

I still think that WKU is the most talented team in the Sun Belt (I have seen South Alabama play), but unfortunately, the Sun Belt is shaping up as a one bid league. It could go either way. The A-10 is a multi-bid league, and unless the Hawks collapse, I think they're on their way to a NCAA tourney bid. They'll probably need to win a couple of those key road games though.

Comment

• 75Zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Western KY

I have it on very good authority that the WKY coach has been told by his AD that if he does not take his team to the NCAAs he is unemployed as of April 1. WKY has a good program, and I really hope they can do what needs to be done to get to the next level.
                      Do not go gentle into that good night,
                      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X