PDA

View Full Version : Portland's flight canceled tonight

ZagNative
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Per KHQ. Going to try again in the morning.

bmaczag
01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Here's to a break in the weather tomorrow for the Pilots. Nobody wants the game postponed.
I see it already, Tuesday's postgame headline... "Pilots can't land in Spokane." Any others come to mind? Let's give the headline writers at the SR a little help.

ZagNative
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Here's to a break in the weather tomorrow for the Pilots. Nobody wants the game postponed.
I see it already, Tuesday's postgame headline... "Pilots can't land in Spokane." Any others come to mind? Let's give the headline writers at the SR a little help.

:D I like that!

RenoZag
01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Pilots Wings Clipped By Weather

PilotNut
01-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Just an FYI... "Pilots" refers to River Pilots, not Airplane Pilots... so it should probably be a frozen water reference... ;)

bmaczag
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Just having a little fun PilotNut. Didn't mean to offend anyone. We've all seen the Riverboat steering wheel that you guys used to use as your logo. How does "Ice Cold Pilots Go Down" sound instead?

Thomas_Sutpen
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Per KHQ. Going to try again in the morning.

What? No booster-funded jet for the Pilots?

Parity, anyone?

PilotNut
01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
No offense taken, just pointing it out.

So the weather report sounds bad again for the morning in Spokane... and there may be snow here too... ugh.

Ziggy
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM
The weather is so fickle. Here in the Snowy Methow (just ask Pendo) we got ten (10) flakes
yesterday and none today ; clear and cold right now. Snow? What snow?
Hope it breaks for you guys over there tonight so we can be about our business!

ZagNative
01-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Very early in Spokane, there's just been a trace of snow here overnight, so it looks pretty good for landing at GEG this a.m.

FAA site (http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp) shows only minimal general flight weather-related delays for GEG and PDX, as I read it.

roxdoc
01-28-2008, 06:48 AM
The 9:50 and 11:10 from Portland both show as on time this morning. Minor delays on a couple of Seattle flights. Sunny and blue sky. A real winter wonderland.

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Any news on if the Pilots were able to get off the ground this morning? I need this game to get my mind off the missed opportunity at Memphis. And man I can't wait for St. Mary's.

kitzbuel
01-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Just an FYI... "Pilots" refers to River Pilots, not Airplane Pilots... so it should probably be a frozen water reference... ;)
D'oh! And all this time I thought Portland was a major aviation and aeronautical technology hub!

ZagNative
01-28-2008, 07:28 AM
The 9:50 and 11:10 from Portland both show as on time this morning. Minor delays on a couple of Seattle flights. Sunny and blue sky. A real winter wonderland.
I agree with the winter wonderland part, but we on Spokane's south hill must rely on reports of blue sky from our friends in the at river level. This view from my porch shows blue in the sky I don't yet see with the naked eye:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Family/January282008Snowyday20073.jpg

Y'all come! It's balmy and sunny in the 'Kan ... or so they tell me ...

zagzealot
01-28-2008, 07:28 AM
D'oh! And all this time I thought Portland was a major aviation and aeronautical technology hub!

That's ok Kitz, I thought they were named after a pen.

zag69
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the great photo, ZN...is there a car buried in there somewhere? I have a sister living in Browne's Addition and snowplows regularly bury cars parked on the residential streets there.

I was a senior at GU in '69 and don't recall the snow being that deep...I would have been driving my VW bus to school from the valley, so maybe Trent and Mission weren't as bad as higher elevation areas. And maybe it was just tall enough for me to see over the berms.

We have snow on the Oregon coast this morning, under sunny skies.

Nevtelen
01-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Back when I lived in Browne's a few years ago, that was my biggest pet peeve - how the plows always piled up snow at the end of the driveway/ plowed in cars parked on the streets. It was like Mad Max or something trying to punch through all that stuff when you needed to get out...

Over here in Seattle, the city seems halfway shut down over the skiff we got... as per usual.

ZagNative
01-28-2008, 09:01 AM
...is there a car buried in there somewhere? I have a sister living in Browne's Addition and snowplows regularly bury cars parked on the residential streets there.

Yup, that's my neighbor's van. Gosh, it looks like there's at least a foot and a half of snow atop it.

The neighborhood this morning has that great busy feel you get in Spokane after a big snowfall, and it's just kind of fun to stick my head out the door and cheer on the shovelers and, on this rare occasion, a passing skier:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Family/January282008Snowyday2017withskier.jpg

I'm thinking I need to add at least another $10 for my guy to shovel out that berm of snow the snow plow left from the last pass through, and then they'll just be plowing it back in again when they eventually make it past today.

roxdoc
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
And some forecasters are saying we could get up to another 15 inches before the week is out!

Akzag
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
lmao

TheZagPhish
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
The neighborhood this morning has that great busy feel you get in Spokane after a big snowfall, and it's just kind of fun to stick my head out the door and cheer on the shovelers and, on this rare occasion, a passing skier

Judging from the look of that neighborhood, I'd guess that we're within 10 blocks of each other, ZN. Manito and Cannon parks are awfully Rockwell-esque in this weather -- kids ice skating on the pond, sledding, steaming hot chocolate and coffee being poured out of thermoses... Good stuff.