PDA

View Full Version : Free Snow!!!!

Bulldog
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Free snow, you haul. Please contact me for additional information.

In all seriousness, if this weather keeps up I would imagine they will cancel the game tomorrow night.

gamagin
01-27-2008, 01:58 PM
<< In all seriousness, if this weather keeps up I would imagine they will cancel the game tomorrow night.>>

unless the airport is closed (doubtful) the game will be on. If they happen to be taking a bus, that might be a problem.

the snow is expected to subside through tonight. However, the snow turned to rain may wind up as ice tonight. but that presents a problem for mon mornining commutes, not necessarily the arterials by game time, imo.

It's called winter. Happens every year about this time.

MickMick
01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I have used the snowblower twice on my driveway today. I guess I am shooting for number three. Been awhile since I have seen it snow like this.

Bulldog
01-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Gamagin--you sound a little testy. Isn't that kid doing a very good job of shoveling your sidewalk? :)

BobZag
01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd pay for a 60 degree Pineapple Express about now.

MDABE80
01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm in LA for the week. It's not snowing here:) Nuclear Medicine looks good though.........can't get outside anyway. Thought you all would like to know.....lol.

sittingon50
01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Abe just gave me an idea as to where you can haul your snow!;)

ZagNative
01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
What? Are you thinking up a nice surprise for Abe to find when he gets home from LA and opens to door to his house?

gamagin
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
<< Gamagin--you sound a little testy. Isn't that kid doing a very good job of shoveling your sidewalk? >>

the fellow doing my walks 6-7 times today complained the whole way, wanted to take several naps and finally, begrudgingly finished the job one last time about 6 p.m..

A real pain in the . . . .

oh, wait, that was me .

TheZagPhish
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
<< Gamagin--you sound a little testy. Isn't that kid doing a very good job of shoveling your sidewalk? >>

the fellow doing my walks 6-7 times today comlained the whole way, wanted to take several naps and finally, begrudgingly finsihed the job on last time about 6 p.m..

A real pain in the . . . .

oh, wait, that was me .

:clap:

zagporvida
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
From news reports Spokane has not had this type of snow since 1993. The law school is closed but no word on undergrad. I think I recall they closed school that time but besides ice storm in 1997 they never close GU.

MedZag
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Reminds me of my freshman year when we got 9 inches. Luckily, I lived in C/M and a drunken expedition to the Kennel for the game was more than within reason.

Bocco
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
There are some of us that were around GU in 68-9 when there was 44" of snow on the ground, and I don't remember any games being cancelled or rescheduled. Parking may be a greater pain tomorrow than ususal, but I suspect there will be a game tomorrow, and if there is one way or another I'll be there.

GonzagaLove
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
What is Spokane looking at in inches of snow?

Zag365
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
There are some of us that were around GU in 68-9 when there was 44" of snow on the ground, and I don't remember any games being cancelled or rescheduled.

I don't remember any shutdown then either, we just thought it was a little more snow than usual, although you could make a few bucks shoveling off roofs of big homes on South Hill.

gamagin
01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Clear and Still

Clear up to our arses and still coming.

hondo46
01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Very good Gamagin.

zagirl2k
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
From news reports Spokane has not had this type of snow since 1993. The law school is closed but no word on undergrad. I think I recall they closed school that time but besides ice storm in 1997 they never close GU.

There were some good times the days they closed GU during the Ice Storm. I think it was Nov. 96 though because I am almost positive I was in C/M during that time. We keep checking our voicemail to see if classes were canceled and would celebrate when we got the message that they were. We only lost power for a day or 2. We were in a lot better shape than most of the rest of the city. It was an eerie sight with no power (and therefore no neon) on Division. It was quite the welcome to winter for this California girl! Everyone came back from Thanksgiving break with new flashlights and batteries from the relatives.

I think this little guy probably sums up the situation in Spokane right now.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/winter-146.gif

Zagpower
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
What is Spokane looking at in inches of snow?

We've had 17 inches in Liberty Lake over the weekend according to the news.

TheZagPhish
01-27-2008, 09:43 PM
There were some good times the days they closed GU during the Ice Storm. I think it was Nov. 96 though...

Twas indeed.

I went to my first Phish show during that ice storm -- November 22, 1996. At the Arena. Only 5,000 people made it, but boy did Phish play a special show.

Birddog
01-28-2008, 06:37 AM
There are some of us that were around GU in 68-9 when there was 44" of snow on the ground

We didn't get a single Chinook from sometime in November to about April that year. There was so much snow that the City of Spokane had to quit dumping it in the river after clearing streets because the water was rising above flood levels.

Birddog

ZagNative
01-28-2008, 06:55 AM
From the SR (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=227182):

The record for a single-day snowfall in Spokane was 12.7 inches Jan. 21, 1954, in records going back to 1881. The most snow to fall in a single month came in January 1950 with 56.9 inches. And the deepest snowpack ever in Spokane came in February 1969 when 42 inches piled up on the ground.

Motorists that winter could not see over massive snow piles at intersections, so they attached stick flags to their cars to warn one another of their approaches.

Yup, I remember all those winters, including January 1950, when I was in second grade. I remember walking to school (second grade) through tunnels of snow over my head - no wonder, with 56.9 inches falling that January!

And remember those red stick flags attached to cars to signal their approach from behind the snow banks? And we marked our driveways with red flags so the snow plows would give us a break? I don't think the snow plow drivers feel they have time to do that any more. Dang!

So do you suppose our freshmen are wondering what the heck they've gotten themselves into? Well, Steven and Rob should know that Steven's old home town of Chimacum called a snow day today, and Vancouver, B.C. has snow too. I think that Austin's home town is safe from the ravages of winter so far, though.

Birddog
01-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Even more popular in my recollection was the little orange Union 76 styrofoam balls that you put on your antenna. It was a great marketing move.

Birddog

Bulldog
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Sure glad the snow stopped as it really cold out now and my wife has been complaining for 24 hours. I guess i will let her come in now and rest up in case she has to get out push the rig out of a snow berm tonight on the way to the game.

Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!

ZagNative
01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Even more popular in my recollection was the little orange Union 76 styrofoam balls that you put on your antenna. It was a great marketing move.

Birddog

Absolutely! How could I have forgotten that? My mom had one of those on the enormous land whale she drove!

TexasZagFan
01-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Here's a decent picture of a Texas Snowman...

http://www.easycarts.net/ecarts/TShirtsNTexas/images/Snowmanbig.JPG

Bocco
01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Suspect right now there is somewhere around 24" on the ground, so another 20"-24" and the world will look like '68-'69. Not too sure I would like to see that again, it was one thing living in Lincoln and walking around campus and the GU neighborhood, and quite another thing to actually have to be driving around in it.