PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's Day After Memphis Blog

ZagNative
01-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Spokesman-Review's Jim Meehan (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6984)

--Memphis scored 61 of its 81 points off turnovers, fastbreaks and second chances. Game, set, match. The Tigers are extremely athletic and play to their strengths. They had eight dunks by four different players.

Point guard Derrick Rose, who had three turnovers in the first five minutes before finding his groove, had a couple of impressive jams. Not sure if I've seen anyone this season faster from basket to basket with the ball than Rose, and he's surrounded by finishers on the break.

--Jeremy Pargo put together one of the best games of his career, continuing a solid stretch of late. He had 25 points, 7 assists, two steals and only 2 turnovers while sitting out just a few seconds late when reserves were inserted to commit fouls.

In GU's last 13 games, Pargo has 86 assists and 39 turnovers. His 25 points were more than his combined total over the previous four games (24).

"He's got a lot of heart and he’s as tough as they come," GU coach Mark Few said. "Usually the bigger the game, the better he is. He has a lot of pride and he’s not going to back down from anybody.

"There were stretches where he was basically the only one we had that was really in attack mode, but then Kuso gave us some great minutes and I thought Micah did a nice job and Pendo was out there battling."

--Few on his post-game address to the team, which basically captured this game: "I told them for 32-33 minutes, we played them even or better than even. It was just withstanding those two runs. That’s why they’re where they are and we’re where we are. They’re playing a full 40 and we have to get to their level."
Read the rest of Jim's blog here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6984).

rawkmandale
01-27-2008, 09:30 AM
--For all the talk about Memphis' depth, it wasn't much of a factor Saturday. Four of the five Tigers' starters played 31 minutes or more. Memphis' bench played 45 minutes; Gonzaga's played 56. Memphis essentially went eight deep as a ninth player, Willie Kemp, logged only two minutes.

--Memphis scored 61 of its 81 points off turnovers, fastbreaks and second chances. Game, set, match. The Tigers are extremely athletic and play to their strengths. They had eight dunks by four different players.

Point guard Derrick Rose, who had three turnovers in the first five minutes before finding his groove, had a couple of impressive jams. Not sure if I've seen anyone this season faster from basket to basket with the ball than Rose, and he's surrounded by finishers on the break.

--Jeremy Pargo put together one of the best games of his career, continuing a solid stretch of late. He had 25 points, 7 assists, two steals and only 2 turnovers while sitting out just a few seconds late when reserves were inserted to commit fouls.

In GU's last 13 games, Pargo has 86 assists and 39 turnovers. His 25 points were more than his combined total over the previous four games (24).

"He's got a lot of heart and he’s as tough as they come," GU coach Mark Few said. "Usually the bigger the game, the better he is. He has a lot of pride and he’s not going to back down from anybody.

"There were stretches where he was basically the only one we had that was really in attack mode, but then Kuso gave us some great minutes and I thought Micah did a nice job and Pendo was out there battling."

--GU's posts Josh Heytvelt and Abdullahi Kuso had decent numbers. Heytvelt hit two 3s and finished with 13 points and 7 boards. Kuso added four points, five rebounds and two blocks before fouling out in 14 minutes.

But Gonzaga was roughed up on the boards (40-28). Rebounding numbers were down from season averages for Pargo, Bouldin, Pendergraft, Downs and Daye.

"That's what they do," Heytvelt said. "They run the floor and rebound. That's how they win their games. They don't run a lot of plays. They play with a whole lot of energy."

Heytvelt (bronchitis) said he is feeling better and his energy level was improved from Monday's game.

--Few on Matt Bouldin: "We're trying to get him (to follow) the John Wooden 'Be quick, but don't hurry.' He just got going a little too fast, which they (the Tigers) can do with that type of athleticism and speed. When we could get him calmed down he had some effective minutes."

--Few on his post-game address to the team, which basically captured this game: "I told them for 32-33 minutes, we played them even or better than even. It was just withstanding those two runs. That’s why they’re where they are and we’re where we are. They’re playing a full 40 and we have to get to their level."

Added Bouldin: "Their transition game is unreal. We had a few lapses where they really made us pay."

--Bouldin wasn't the only Zag to struggle against Memphis' adhesive defense. Freshmen Steve Gray and Austin Daye had little impact.

Earlier in the week, Few was asked if he worried that his team might be too amped to play No. 1. He responded that GU has played against numerous marquee programs so it shouldn't be a problem, but he did add, "we'll see how the freshmen react."

Gray was 1 of 4 with a couple of turnovers in 20 minutes. He struggled early with two turnovers in 11 first-half minutes before settling down somewhat in the second. Daye picked up four fouls in eight minutes and missed his only shot attempt.

--Gonzaga has suffered from slow starts from time to time this season and the Zags had another one Saturday, falling behind 10-0.

"We have a tendency to do that," Pargo said. "That's one of the things I've said before that we need to tighten it up. We can’t keep letting that happen or we’re going to be home really early this year."

--Shooting percentages: GU 46.6, Memphis 46.7.

--Few said he's surprised Chris Douglas-Roberts hasn't received more publicity as a national player of the year candidate. CDR had three dunks and played stellar defense on Bouldin.

--Didn't see him, but heard ex-Zag Dan Dickau
was able to attend the second half of GU-Memphis. Dickau's Clippers lost to the Memphis Grizzlies in OT later Saturday at the FedExForum.

rawkmandale
01-27-2008, 09:35 AM
This is by far the best summary of the game that I have read, including the important contributions by Kuso, and many other solid observations, including the potential National POY consideration for Chris Douglas-Roberts. Very thoughtful observations, and shows that Few sees exactly what is going on out there.

MickMick
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
This is by far the best summary of the game that I have read, including the important contributions by Kuso, and many other solid observations, including the potential National POY consideration for Chris Douglas-Roberts. Very thoughtful observations, and shows that Few sees exactly what is going on out there.

I agree with you and disagree with the other thread out there. The one that claims that Bennett sees things that Few doesn't.

Few sees everything going on out there. He sees things that we don't. He see things in practice. He see things in games. He sees things in opponents.

BobZag
01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Two items that encourage me--

1. Micah is gaining the staff's trust, and that is a very good thing, it could lead to Micah becoming more of a scoring factor.

2. Matt learning John Wooden's "Be quick but don't hurry." When Bouldin solves good defensive players, with help from screens and such, it'll help the team in a big way vs big teams.

About everything (concerns, etc.) discussed on this board is well-known and recognized by coaches and players.