PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Memphis game, that nobody will care about.

beatProgram
01-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Rebounding. End of story.

Memphis had double the offensive boards, and beat GU on the glass 39-25 overall.

You can't give a team like Mephis the opportunities to beat you with athleticism in transition and give them more consecutive possessions.

There were a lot of balls coming off the rim where GU did a great job locking down the Tigers in a half-court set; forcing them to take a bad shot. They'd miss, and then nobody would box out, worse than that were the dozens of times I didn't even see a GU player put there arms up to so much as make a play for the ball.

Not being able to establish position against better bigger players is certainly one thing, but to not even attempt the contest for the loose-ball is something else entirely.

MedZag
01-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Josh has been developing a bad habit of "swatting" at rebounds trying to tip it away from opposing players, instead of positioning his body properly in order to get two whole hands on it.

HOOTER
01-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Your right beat, we don't care.;) Just playin'. :D

The Zag's have almost always been able to out rebound their opponents. I expected Gonzaga to get out rebounded today but not by that much. I'm sure coach Few will correct this issue and I'd be surprised if they get out rebounded again this season.

applezag
01-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree that this was really the element of the game that most contributed to the loss for the Zags. There were some very poor demonstrations of defensive rebounding. A lot of guys watching the ball leave the shooters hand and following it to the hoop with their eyes instead of attacking the offensive players to box them out. This was especially bad when GU was in the zone and when they had to help on drive. This is a challenge to all teams in that situation, but there were times when it didn't even look like they were thinking about it. They just need to find someone, anyone, and put a body on them. Memphis is an outstanding offensive rebounding team that gets a lot of opportunities to do this because they shoot a lot from the outside, but GU can do much, much better in slowing that down.

If there was any one phase of the game that could be easily fixed from today it was defensive rebounding.

Spike94
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
I have to agree. I tried to point this out earlier in another thread but was first given bad rep, then told I was looking at things half empty. More specifically it was offencive rebounds off of missed free throws. I counted three or four times when Memphis missed a free throw then got the rebound and put back. If we win the rebound battle this game or at least make it somewhat even, we win this game. That being said I will go to bed tonight happy in knowing that St. Mary's is nothing like Memphis. I watched them tonight against USF, and the Southern Illinois game and if things play out like they look, we should take care of SMC without a doubt. We will be fine. And I will always be proud to be a ZAG.