PDA

View Full Version : Continue Memphis Series ... ?

Akzag
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
I know what I think ... but the question came up on the Memphis board - What do Zag fans think of the series ... ? After a sizable quantity of posters have voted here, I'll link the poll to the Memphis board.

That being said, here are some odds and ends.

We are 0-3 against the Tigers with three games of the four game series played - next year's game is in K2. I haven't researched it, but I can't think of the last team to beat us three times in a row. Illinois? Pepperdine of the 90's? We did defeat Memphis there back in the Richie-Matt days. So 1-3 over the last decade.

If a new series is inked, do we keep the same format ? (@ a "neutral" + @ true home in both cities) ?

Or ...

1) Do we go true home and home only ... (x2)

2) Seattle - Nashville (or other Tenn locale) - Spokane - Memphis

[For the sake of accuracy, "More Cowbell !!!" shall be assumed on this poll.]

mendiant
01-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I would like to see it go to true home - true home..but it won't happen.

I understand wanting to have a "home-ish" game at the arena...gives others a chance to go to a game.

I would want that if I weren't a ticket holder.

I like this match up...it's never boring, it has featured some March-like intensity, and therefore it is a nice exercise for team, coaches and fans.

I think we did ok against a #1.

I just see the guys getting better each game on.

spudzag
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Absolutely, great series.

kclubfounder
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
If both programs stay this strong and continue to dominate their conferences this game will gain more and more national exposure. The only reason to stop it is if one of the programs falls - and hopefully that won't happen in my lifetime (at least in the case of Gonzaga).

TheZagPhish
01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
We've so much in common that it's good for calibration. I just like Memphis, their approach and execution. I also think that the late January placement does the Zags a world of good during conference play.

Yeah, absolutely, keep it going - we need more opportunities to win!

VanZagar
01-26-2008, 02:30 PM
How not? We need quality opponents to fill out our schedule as long as the conference stays weak. Teams from tough conferences mostly want home cooked cupcakes to fill out theirs. A home and home agreement (even a pseudo one) with a top tier team is not something that is easily replaced.

Rangerzag
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Without doubt, continue.

This series of games is what the bracketbusters only wishes to be but can't get the horses to achieve. Memphis and the Zags are the horses !!

Reborn
01-26-2008, 02:37 PM
We want to win 'em all. We hate losing. Home and home would be nice but I like the game in the arena because I can get to see it. :) This is a game that 1,000's should see. We would have beat them this in in arena I think. Callipari kind of thought so too. I think these are two class acts with classy coaches and programs. Therefore, the best basketball has to offer. I hope that this series leads us into other series with othere great teams...like Tennessee. I hope we keep that series as well. I agree with one of the posters who said that he liked these OOC games near the end of the season. I agree. Especialy the tougher ones.

kitzbuel
01-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Great series that needs to continue, but GU should have enough clout now to get this done on even terms.

Nevtelen
01-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Definitely continue. Both teams need each other because of their leagues. It's a win-win. We had better win next year, though - 0-4 is not acceptable. (I'm still bitter about last year's loss, which should have been a Zags W).

Akzag
01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
"poll closes in a couple hours" - Bump!

(thank you for your participation - Ak)

lothar98zag
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Definitely continue. Both teams need each other because of their leagues. It's a win-win. We had better win next year, though - 0-4 is not acceptable. (I'm still bitter about last year's loss, which should have been a Zags W).
+1

gomemphistigers1
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
hmmm...

i thought i heard Cal say the game next year will be in Seattle...

if i remember, we play at FedExForum x2, Spokane Arena x1, and Seattle x1.

i would like to see the series keep going...but i doubt Cal will bring Memphis into a 6,000 seat arena. (Rice/Tulane excluded)

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

MickMick
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
hmmm...

i thought i heard Cal say the game next year will be in Seattle...

if i remember, we play at FedExForum x2, Spokane Arena x1, and Seattle x1.

i would like to see the series keep going...but i doubt Cal will bring Memphis into a 6,000 seat arena. (Rice/Tulane excluded)

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

Next year the Zags get UConn in Seattle. I don't know if the Spokane Arena venue is occupied for next season.

UAB pulled out of a tentative agreement because they thought they would play in Seattle this season. They discovered that our Spokane Arena venue (Ronald McDonald House benefit game that Memphis played in last year) and the Battle in Seattle had no vacancy. When confronted with the idea of playing in the Kennel on GU campus, they backed out.

NorthWestZag
01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
For the sake of argument, I do NOT think we should renew this series.

1. Why should our annual Ronald McDonald game be against Memphis every other year? There are plenty of great teams out there, lets mix it up a little bit. What I love about the Battle in Seattle is that we get a different, new team every year. We could do the same in our Spokane game. Sure I love playing high profile teams like Memphis, but why not try for a pac-10 team like Oregon or USC? If we renew the series, that means the 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013 Ronald McDonald games will be against the same team.

2. We are getting shafted on the home and home. What if Romar wanted a Hec-Ed/Spokane Arena home and home? We would tell him to stick it you-know-where. Why do we agree to give Memphis two true home games and we have to play in the arena? We have established ourselves as a good enough program to play a MAC/FedEx home and home.

Now if we get a true home and home, I am all for it. Otherwise we kill it and live to fight another day.

MickMick
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
For the sake of argument, I do NOT think we should renew this series.

1. Why should our annual Ronald McDonald game be against Memphis every other year? There are plenty of great teams out there, lets mix it up a little bit. What I love about the Battle in Seattle is that we get a different, new team every year. We could do the same in our Spokane game. Sure I love playing high profile teams like Memphis, but why not try for a pac-10 team like Oregon or USC? If we renew the series, that means the 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013 Ronald McDonald games will be against the same team.

2. We are getting shafted on the home and home. What if Romar wanted a Hec-Ed/Spokane Arena home and home? We would tell him to stick it you-know-where. Why do we agree to give Memphis two true home games and we have to play in the arena? We have established ourselves as a good enough program to play a MAC/FedEx home and home.

Now if we get a true home and home, I am all for it. Otherwise we kill it and live to fight another day.

Good points, but for the forseeable future, a win over Memphis is a gauranteed "marquee win". For the Zags, there are only 2-5 schools in the entire nation that are worth such an agreement at this time.

UNC, Memphis, and possibly UCLA/Duke/Kansas.

teCh0010
01-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Next year the Zags get UConn in Seattle. I don't know if the Spokane Arena venue is occupied for next season.

UAB pulled out of a tentative agreement because they thought they would play in Seattle this season. They discovered that our Spokane Arena venue (Ronald McDonald House benefit game that Memphis played in last year) and the Battle in Seattle had no vacancy. When confronted with the idea of playing in the Kennel on GU campus, they backed out.

As a Memphis fan I want the team to play in K2 in Jan. or Feb. I want the team to play tough games in front of very hostile crowds.

It will prepare us for the tournament when we get the shaft and have to play a lower seeded team in front of their crowd just like Texas AM last year in front of 20+ thousand of their fans and UCLA in Oakland the year before.

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
you are right
it is best for the players to experience this
it helps them develop what they need to advance into the NBA
I wish more people thought like you and Coach Few