PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Thoughts

MDS03
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
After watching the Memphis game, I wonder why we are signing players like Poling and Gibbs. I don't doubt for one second that they are good players, but are they the type of athletes that can compete against a Memphis or Kansas? I guess that will remain to be seen, but in my opinion Gonzaga should make a great (not good) big man their #1 priority.

ZagNut08
01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
hind sight is 20/20, eh?

nobody complained about getting a verbal from poling when he was a ***** recruit and the highest ranked player to ever commit to us

getting skilled big men is a very difficult challenge, size is rare, so even decently talented big men will be recruited by more bcs schools than a wing with the same talent for their position

applezag
01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Remember, we also have Goodson (sp?) coming in, and he is incredibly quick. Pargo couldn't contain him when he played with the guys. As for Poling, he's a couple of years off, but if we had a solid post scorer today it would have helped a bunch. When he puts some weight on, I think Poling will be able to score inside. I haven't watched Gibbs much except for highlights (which I don't put a lot of stock in--call that the PMac principle), so I can't really comment on him.

Agreed that we need to be looking at big men--but I would also say that most teams in America face that issue.

WRHUradio
01-26-2008, 10:19 AM
First off- How many Bigs in every recruiting class exist that you can consider high-level back to basket, mean streak rebounders with the body/size to match? About less than 15 players...

So the answer is to get one of those you better be named UNC, Kansas and a couple others....OR recruit them really early and hope you find a late bloomer at the HS level that is an early bloomer at the college level. BCS conf schools will still recruit late blooming 6'9+ stiffs because the think they can get a good 2yrs out of them, in the correct cycle you can get good production on a yearly basis from your big spots despite not having a Rivals.com stud at the spot.

The bone you can absolutely pick with Few is the going after perimeter oriented bigs that prefer the outside like Josh and perhaps Poling versus going after the 5-feet and in bigs (Kuso/Dorsey types)...but then you run into the issue of those kind of guys not being able to fit into the flex offense.

Also remember that Joey Dorsey is 23yrs old, but at the same time if Josh had his mentality that would be a very fine player.

The same can be said for Gibbs...Few is choosing high skill level vs athlete but low skill level.....Athlete + Skill level is a Rivals 5 star kid that is also very limited....you don't play a program like Memphis more than about 4x a year that has stud athletes with high skill levels combined with aggressive I'm-going-to-kick-your-ass mentality.

BroncoZAG615
01-26-2008, 10:21 AM
I have to totally agree with ZN08. The true center is such a dying breed these days. There are so few big men who are back to the basekt, post move players. Oden could do it but he was a truly special talent. We had one in JP. Guys like Hibbert, Thabeet, and other acclaimed big men still have glaring flaws.

Its difficult to throw that much height and weight around and always be consistent. Much like JP, we need to develop someone, I'm thinking of Sacre. He's young and has the body. He needs to develop some control and low post game but he's got time to do so.

TexasZagFan
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
WHRU said...

Also remember that Joey Dorsey is 23yrs old, but at the same time if Josh had his mentality that would be a very fine player.

23? How in the heck did that happen? Err...wait a second, that's the average age of the typical BYU........

....sophomore! :lmao:

ZagAccountant
01-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I havent heard anything about any jc big men for possible recruits. We need to tap that source I think. I mean look at the level of batista, and even kuso(to a lesser extent). I'd love to see another jc big man come in with the class for next year if anyone leaves and if we lose out on taylor(crossing my fingers that we land him).

Reborn
01-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I felt Josh and Kuso held their own down low, and definately did not hurt the Zags.

Few does a great job with the guys he brings in at the 5 so I wouldn't worry about it.....

MDS03
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm not arguing the difficulty in getting a great big man. But looking at the future: 1 more year w/Josh, 3 w/Sacre, 2 w/Foster and Poling coming - can we say with much confidence that there is at least a consistent scorer inside? I say no. It could happen with development for those guys, but all I am saying is that I'm a little surprised at Few & co.'s commits considering this scenario.

Maybe coach Jack has a big Aussie up his sleeve. Who knows? Remember, Turiaf came out of the blue...

Bulldog
01-26-2008, 10:31 AM
JP Batista -------wish we had a big guy like him now. He was fearless and had a soft shooting touch. We have some guys that could do what he did, just need the confidence and drive.