PDA

View Full Version : Memphis-Pepperdine game thoughts.

jim77
01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The first half of the game looked like a relatively even affair. The Tigers would trap nearly every time Pepperdine brought the ball up the court. Most times Pepperdine would narrowly escape the trap. Once Pepperdine would break the trap they were allowed to set their offense without the pressure of say a Tenneesse team. The pepperdine player would see a hole and bolt forward to get to the hoop....there would be a Tiger waiting(almost inviting) the pepp player to challenge him. The Memphis player(usually Dozier or Dorsey) would either disrupt the shot (which usually missed) or would block it. Then a funny thing happened....the Tigers would bolt down the floor leaving 1(sometimes 2) players to get the rebound.....this caused Pepperdine to DOMINATE on the offensive boards. I could not believe the O-boards that Pep was getting.

On offense the Tigers don't run anything to sophisticated(they don't need to) they will penetrate if given a crack and are not shy about taking it to the hole....they have absolutely no midrange game whatsoever. (with 4 Kobe's..who needs one) For the most part they love to get buckets off of transition. At one point Coach C had seen enough...he promptly replaced all 5 starts at one time. As halftime arrived I sat there thinking: These guys aren't that good.....then the 2nd half Happened!:)

The Memphis tigers are like a boxer who throws lots of body punches early....cause in the second half the other team really starts to feel them.(and slows down) The 2nd half started and Pepperdine looked like they'd just gone 10 rounds with a body puncher except...that puncher was now throwing big head shots. Before the horn sounded There was a near 40 point diference and the Tigers had the look of...NEXT!!!!!

Conclusions: 1. The Zags need more than 1 ball handler to get it over center court...2 or 3 would be better. If not, we will turn it over 20 plus times.

2. We need to follow our own shots on offense as Memphis likes to leave early for the break. I think we can do major damage on the boards...If nothing else it will make them keep players back thus slowing their transition game down a bit.

3. Substitutions.....these guys can go 12 rounds....HARD! This team will gobble up a tired or coasting team. We need to keep our guys fresh....Sure glad we have depth.

4. We need to challenge their big men and foul when appropriate....Dorsey is weak at the line.

5. I was surprised at how much space Memphis gave Pepp to launch 3's...we will make them pay dearly for that. I suspect they will get closer to our guys knowing we can drain 3's.....the pick and pop/ screens will work against these guys.

6. Douglas-Roberts, Dozier, are really the big guns....with Dozier able to can 3's. Dozier is the best player on the team....the fella can do it all.

7. The Memphis tigers are #1 for a reason.....these guys play hard all day long and mentallly defeat teams with their great athletes. They simply overwhelm teams....and they will also have a LIVE crowd come Saturday. We will see what our guys are made of from a great team.....

GUinSTL
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
nice analysis. well said.
~B

Thomas_Sutpen
01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
The first half of the game looked like a relatively even affair. The Tigers would trap nearly every time Pepperdine brought the ball up the court. Most times Pepperdine would narrowly escape the trap.

Conclusions: 1. The Zags need more than 1 ball handler to get it over center court...2 or 3 would be better. If not, we will turn it over 20 plus times.

Nice post.

My thoughts on the trap--we cannot break the trap halfway--re: USD, when Bouldin was left on his own a couple of times and turned it over--we should run, run, run, and push past the trap into easy transition baskets as much as possible. You're right on about multiple ball-handlers. Don't wait for the trap--push the ball.

Goshzagit
01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
A concise and excellent breakdown of their style of play. Your breakdown of the Memphis-Pepp game was a more accurate analysis than anything I've read thus far.

Far better than J. Bilas stating, "If Memphis stops Bouldin from scoring or passing, Gonzaga will be in for a long afternoon." Well, you don't say Jay? I would have to agree that if you stop the LEADING scorer from scoring and/or passing on any team, they would most likely lose. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

ZagMania
01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Interesting bit about offensive rebounds against Memphis. Do we crash the boards to prevent them from fast breaking or do we play it like WSU and get everybody back to stop the transition game.

The first choice seems a little risky because if we send guys that aren't consistently getting offensive rebounds they will just run anyways and we'll be in worse shape. However, not crashing the boards means we will have to stop them in the half court and be able to stop their dribble penetration. After the first 10 minutes, if we aren't able to do this I think crashing the boards and taking our chances in transition is worth it.

TigerBill
01-25-2008, 04:15 PM
That's a great analysis and I enjoyed reading it. In fact, you hit so many nails on the head that, if I didn't know better, I'd think you might actually be a Tiger fan in Bulldog's clothing. ;)

The only thing I'd disagree with is your point about Dozier. He's certainly been a major contributor for us this season, and has really played with passion and aggression against stiff competition, but he still has an unfortunate habit of disappearing once every few nights.

He's in Calipari's doghouse right now after terrible performances against Tulsa and Rice, and was publicly chastised on the post-game show Wednesday night. Thankfully, Shawn Taggart (our transfer from Iowa State) has filled in admirably during Dozer's struggles, and has actually shown brief flashes that he may in fact be the better player once he learns the system.

BobZag
01-25-2008, 04:43 PM
The first half of the game looked like a relatively even affair. The Tigers would trap nearly every time Pepperdine brought the ball up the court. Most times Pepperdine would narrowly escape the trap. Once Pepperdine would break the trap they were allowed to set their offense without the pressure of say a Tenneesse team. The pepperdine player would see a hole and bolt forward to get to the hoop....there would be a Tiger waiting(almost inviting) the pepp player to challenge him. The Memphis player(usually Dozier or Dorsey) would either disrupt the shot (which usually missed) or would block it. Then a funny thing happened....the Tigers would bolt down the floor leaving 1(sometimes 2) players to get the rebound.....this caused Pepperdine to DOMINATE on the offensive boards. I could not believe the O-boards that Pep was getting.

On offense the Tigers don't run anything to sophisticated(they don't need to) they will penetrate if given a crack and are not shy about taking it to the hole....they have absolutely no midrange game whatsoever. (with 4 Kobe's..who needs one) For the most part they love to get buckets off of transition. At one point Coach C had seen enough...he promptly replaced all 5 starts at one time. As halftime arrived I sat there thinking: These guys aren't that good.....then the 2nd half Happened!:)

The Memphis tigers are like a boxer who throws lots of body punches early....cause in the second half the other team really starts to feel them.(and slows down) The 2nd half started and Pepperdine looked like they'd just gone 10 rounds with a body puncher except...that puncher was now throwing big head shots. Before the horn sounded There was a near 40 point diference and the Tigers had the look of...NEXT!!!!!

2. We need to follow our own shots on offense as Memphis likes to leave early for the break. I think we can do major damage on the boards...If nothing else it will make them keep players back thus slowing their transition game down a bit.

3. Substitutions.....these guys can go 12 rounds....HARD! This team will gobble up a tired or coasting team. We need to keep our guys fresh....Sure glad we have depth.

4. We need to challenge their big men and foul when appropriate....Dorsey is weak at the line.

5. I was surprised at how much space Memphis gave Pepp to launch 3's...we will make them pay dearly for that. I suspect they will get closer to our guys knowing we can drain 3's.....the pick and pop/ screens will work against these guys.

6. Douglas-Roberts, Dozier, are really the big guns....with Dozier able to can 3's. Dozier is the best player on the team....the fella can do it all.

7. The Memphis tigers are #1 for a reason.....these guys play hard all day long and mentallly defeat teams with their great athletes. They simply overwhelm teams....and they will also have a LIVE crowd come Saturday. We will see what our guys are made of from a great team.....

In what was once known as Zaire, I believe. "The Rumble in the Jungle." A young George Foreman throws one monstrous punch after another while Ali hangs tough, surviving on the ropes. It looks like it's going to be a knock-out, for sure. Certainly nobody can withstand punches that pack enough power to literally lift Joe Frazier off the carpet! Ali not only survives, he has lulled an overconfident #1 ranked slugger into a bad mistake, into a false sense of superiority, and Ali knocks out a weary Foreman.

Either that, or, Secretariat vs Sham in the Belmont Stakes.

Let us hope Gonzaga = Ali and Secretariat. :)

maineblackbear
01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Luv ya BZ, but Sham? Look, Foreman was a great fighter, who got out-thought by the greatest mental boxer of the sport. However, he was a great athlete who managed to redevelop his persona and character (after the Zaire fight--which incidently was also the fight that 'made' Don King-- he put it together)

BUT-- Foreman was the better fighter-- the better athlete. He was the man. I am not sure if you are relating GU or Memphis to Foreman but neither will walk into this game so arrogant that they will leave nothing for the later rounds-- remember the in-fight analysis from Archie Moore "My man George, he's got nothing left (this was round five when everyone including the announcers were still calling the fight as if it were even) and then there is round eight-- the most beautiful sequence of sport I have ever seen- and coming from a guy that HATES boxing...

But Sham? Come on... he hung tough for 3/4 of a mile-- Secretariat opens up and he quits--dead. Literally--Sham never raced again. He did become a better sire than Secretariat (except for Lady's Secret and one brilliant flash from General Assembly (the Travers) but I would not compare EITHER team to either a boxer who did not put the gloves on for fifteen years (seriously, Foreman did not fight again until the mid-eighties even though he became a heavyweight champion at 48) or to a horse that never raced again....

Both teams will improve and fight and I believe both teams will be in the round of 16 at the NCAAs.

Love ya BZ-- but your rhetoric outstripped your analysis....

Ali Bumbaya

mbb

gamagin
01-25-2008, 07:25 PM
And I like the point, too. I don't agree Ali was the lesser athlete of anyone he ever fought. He was the greatest. Ever.

Ali was much older, however, and had a couple million hits to his head when the young turk, Foreman, thought he could just pound away and win. With arms like stumps, however, George wore himself out. Brilliant.

Foreman was 24, Ali 32. great fight. watched it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf64ZCYVcEI

maineblackbear
01-25-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks for posting gamegin-- seriously-- you posted one of my favorite sports moments of all times-- the other three are Secretariat in the Belmont ("moving like a tremendous machine"), GU v. Fla, and Jimmy Connors v. Aaron Krickstein US Open 1990-- (I was going to work-- on a Sunday, no less-- put my shoes on in the third set--maybe an hour later I took them off again-- said to hell with work and it still took another hour for the match to conclude-- one of the greatest individual performances of all time--matching Kellen Winslow's game against the Dolphins)--

anyway, much nostalgia--mbb

gamagin
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
you are welcome. Your note reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in some time. Your note indicated you are/were horse racing fan.

I was once in Kentucky and met an elderly gentleman who, it turned out, had owned two derby winners in his lifetime. I don't remember their names, but he was introduced to me by my business partner. He asked where I was from.

"Spokane," I said. and he said, "Spokane ? Do you know if the horse by that name that won the Kentucky derby was from there?"

I said I didn't even know there was such a horse by that name and I'd never heard it had won.

He walked over to a bar in his place, picked up a drink glass which had on it all the winners of the most famous race in history.

And sure enough, Spokane won the 15th running of the Kentucky Derby in 1899.

maineblackbear
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
i feel like a dick even posting this but Spokane won the Derby in 1889!-- when the Derby was still a 1- 1/2 miles-- Spokane set the Derby record at 2:34.9 rather than the 1.1/4 miles that it is currently....................... Seriously think about Secretariat's 2:24 flat---- that is at one length per one fifth of second (the Daily Racing Form measurement until 1999) is over 59 lengths better than Spokane's (it was 31 between Secretariat and Twice a Prince in the 1973 Belmont)-- seriously- ten seconds-- think about what you can accomplish in ten seconds-- ten full seconds-- a smart person could pour themselves a beer and then turn back to the video in that time.........

ANYWAY-- all of you should know that Spokane won the Derby in the same year as the great Spokane Fire . . . . . . .