PDA

View Full Version : GU Fans Smolder under Mushroom Cloud

Section 116
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I havent' seen this one posted yet. If so I apologize. This is from the Monday Portland Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/117246390350470.xml&coll=7

Monday, February 26, 2007
BOAZ HERZOG
SPOKANE -- There was shock. There was anger. There was disappointment.

But two weeks after a shroud of disgrace enveloped this city of 200,000, hope remains.

For fans of Gonzaga basketball who have come to expect success year after year from their team, there is no other option. With no major pro sports franchise in the Northwest this side of the Cascades, Gonzaga is about as good as it gets.

Which is why the stunning news of two Bulldogs basketball players' arrest on an accusation of drug charges -- and the barrage of negative media publicity that followed -- stung.

Two days after the arrest, Gonzaga lost on its home court for the first time in four years. And five days after that, it lost to then-No. 8 Memphis at Spokane Arena, giving the Bulldogs their first two-game losing streak in their hometown since 1995 -- and, more important, putting the team at risk of missing the NCAA Tournament.

Despite the unthinkable, however, the team's die-hard fans lined up in freezing temperatures for Gonzaga's next home game, last Monday against Portland. The students arrived hours before tipoff, some before dawn with lounge chairs and sleeping bags to stay warm, to secure a good seat in the student section. They lined up in similar fashion a week earlier to secure tickets, a limited number of which are always free and set aside each week for students....

tobizag
02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
"Everything happens for a reason," said senior guard Derek Raivio, a Vancouver native. "Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. It's a sad way for a blessing to be. But we just gotta move on. It's a new day tomorrow. We just gotta keep plugging and chugging."boherzog@gmail.com

I hadn't seen this quote before, but I love what Derek has to say here. It's a great attitude to have.

On a side note, I was one of the students who was appalled by the Facebook club that was started.

I started my own that deals with being a positive and faithful Zag fan, and I now have over 500 members...pimping my facebook, oh well.

Great words Derek!

Ibellibie
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I started my own that deals with being a positive and faithful Zag fan, and I now have over 500 members...pimping my facebook, oh well.

Pretty positive I saw that group. I was planning on joining until I saw that it was only open to Gonzaga students and alumni. Any chance you would change that? If not, that's cool too!

tobizag
02-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Ibellibie -

I've gotten several alum asking if I could open the group to everyone, but unfortunately when I started the group, I didn't think of it. Now, it is impossible to change. Sorry! :(

--tobizag

bulldogshawn
02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Just clicked to me who you are tobi, pretty sure I'm in that group... it's a good one indeed. Makes sense now why things are going from here to that group so quickly!

tobizag
02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
sssshhhh...don't tell anyone my sources...;)

Ibellibie
02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Not a problem! :)

I just clicked over to check out the wall on the group--your username now makes sense. Facebook is too funny.