PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few Not Happy with Gray's Shooting Percentage?

ZagNative
01-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Pretty good opening line from Howie Stallwick's (http://www.theolympian.com/sports/story/338434.html) story about the Memphis game in the Olympian today:

Tough chore awaits Zags at Memphis

Howie Stalwick
for the olympian

Steven Gray has been shooting the ball remarkably well for the Gonzaga Bulldogs, and his coach is not very happy about it.

Fifty-eight percent (shooting) is too high. That means we're not getting him enough shots," Mark Few complained as the Bulldogs prepared for a Saturday road stop at top-ranked Memphis (9 a.m., ESPN).

The ever-demanding Few can take solace in the fact that Gray is actually shooting "only" 55 percent from the field, including "just" 52 percent on 3-pointers. The freshman guard out of Bainbridge High is nailing 90 percent of his free throws and averaging 8.8 points since recovering from surgery on his broken right (shooting) hand and missing Gonzaga's first 10 games.

"He's been terrific," Few said. "It's a shame we didn't have him earlier or we probably woundn't have dumped a couple of those games."

The 15-4 Bulldogs are 8-1 with Gray in the lineup, and 4-1 with Gray starting. The Bulldogs have won six in a row, and Gray led Gonzaga with season highs of 16 points and five steals in Monday's win over San Francisco.

"I'm starting to understand my role a little bit more," said Gray, the 2006-07 Washington high school player of the year. "Just try to play defense and put pressure on the ball, and handle shots. Be the third ball handler to help Jeremy (Pargo) and Matt (Bouldin)."

Gray has always been an acclaimed shooter, and he's also earned high marks for his defense at Gonzaga. The Bulldogs place great value on defenders who disrupt offensive flow by deflecting balls, and Gray tips more passes than an all-pro cornerback.

"He's been uncanny," Few said.

"He did a terrific job working on his defense when he was injured, because he couldn't shoot," associate head coach Leon Rice said.

Gray and all the Bulldogs will have to be at their best at both ends of the floor Saturday. Memphis (18-0) is loaded with quickness, athleticism, size, experience and depth.

Gray's game lacks some of the flash and dash offered by the Tigers, but the soft-spoken youngster hopes to make some noise down South, in a manner of speaking.

"He's not a real vocal kid, but he's a good listener," Rice said.

"He just gives you a nod and kinda goes out there and does it," Few said.
Read the rest of Howie's excellent story here (http://www.theolympian.com/sports/story/338434.html).

SWZag
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Great story, thanks.

Great way to look at a high shooting percentage. I'd love this to take hold and see him shoot more. I love his game and his attitude!

SWZag

Ziggy
01-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Can someone with a higher BB IQ explain that to me!:confused:

VinnyZag
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure there's anything more to it than what Few said ... basically, if he's that good a shooter he ought to be shooting more, which inevitably would drive his percentage down.

MedZag
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Can someone with a higher BB IQ explain that to me!:confused:

Nobody shoots those high of percentages if they take the shot regularly, even if they have perfect shot mechanics (Ray Allen has one of the purest releases I've ever seen and only shoots 45 from the floor and 39 from 3). The fact that Gray's averages are so high indicates he's taking the shot fairly rarely and only if he has a REALLY good look. But the numbers also indicate he's a very very good shooter. So the idea would be to give him more shots. But the more shots he takes, the less likely he is to keep his average above 50%. But that doesnt matter - its a law of averages and we would win out with points scored by "Gray's average going down."

Thats kinda a cumbersome description of what Few means, hopefully that helps.

Ziggy
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Nobody shoots those high of percentages if they take the shot regularly, even if they have perfect shot mechanics (Ray Allen has one of the purest releases I've ever seen and only shoots 45 from the floor and 39 from 3). The fact that Gray's averages are so high indicates he's taking the shot fairly rarely and only if he has a REALLY good look. But the numbers also indicate he's a very very good shooter. So the idea would be to give him more shots. But the more shots he takes, the less likely he is to keep his average above 50%. But that doesnt matter - its a law of averages and we would win out with points scored by "Gray's average going down."

Thanks MedZag , that does clear up the "tongue and cheek" mad of Few for me. I wasn't sure how to take it since the punch line wasn't revealed for us in the article. Also, thank you for your civil response unlike the anonymous bung hole who neg repped me for an honest question where I stated my lack of understanding in the first place.

zagfan07
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I bet we'll see more of the offense run through Gray against Memphis Saturday. He's not one to get rattled easily and we could definately use his outside shooting ability in this one. I'd like to see Pargo get into the lane and look for the kickout three for Gray or Bouldin. I haven't seen anyone really step up and stop Pargo from getting to the rim when he wants to. With that spin move, he could really do some damage and possibly get Rose into some early foul trouble.

SWZag
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree Zagfan07. Grey's shooting would open up the middle and let Heytvelt have a little breathing room against Memphis' bigs.

I have a feeling that if Dorsey or Dozier starts taking control, we may see Foster in there changing their shots. Remember what he did against Baines and Wazzu? I think we may see some Foster, which I would love.

Any thoughts on that?

SWZag

lothar98zag
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I agree Zagfan07. Grey's shooting would open up the middle and let Heytvelt have a little breathing room against Memphis' bigs.

I have a feeling that if Dorsey or Dozier starts taking control, we may see Foster in there changing their shots. Remember what he did against Baines and Wazzu? I think we may see some Foster, which I would love.

Any thoughts on that?

SWZag
I think Foster's back issues + minimal playing time = redshirt (no more games this year)

lothar98zag
01-25-2008, 12:12 PM

for example -

player A takes 20% of a team's shots and makes 60%
player B also takes 20% and makes 40%

you want your team to score more, so it would follow that you want player A shooting more. but more shots usually mean some bad shots are taken.

so if things work out right, the stats would adjust to something like...

player A 30% of shots and make 55%
player B 10% of shots and still makes 40% (maybe better since less bad shots, in theory, are taken)

in conclusion the point of the whole thing is the team as a whole makes a higher % of shots. Few obviously would like more shots for SG to come in place of shots by the worst shooting players.

Fonebone
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Lothar, that was a very very good explination. If you are not teaching in some capacity, formal or informal, then you missed your calling.

malmer7
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I think we can all agree that if Grey gets more shots (which most can agree that he should), his shooting percentage will eventually drop a certain degree. That being said, this kid reminds me of Bankhead from beyond the arc - I never thought I'd see a guy as consistent as Bankhead but Grey seems to be close at least - add that in with great athleticism (something poor Kyle lacked slightly), above average defense, and a veteran's demeanor and you've got a start, I see nothing but upside with Grey!

Reborn
01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
What has been surprising me is that Few doesn't play Gray in the last 5 minutes of the games. Mabybe he's the missing piece. Maybe Few will try him this weekend in those ending minutes in which we have looked so bad. Plus he's an excellent free throw shooter and defender. If Few thinks that highly of Gray he'd be in in last minutes of the game. That's when you always play your best players.............

Ziggy
01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
for example -

player A takes 20% of a team's shots and makes 60%
player B also takes 20% and makes 40%

you want your team to score more, so it would follow that you want player A shooting more. but more shots usually mean some bad shots are taken.

so if things work out right, the stats would adjust to something like...

player A 30% of shots and make 55%
player B 10% of shots and still makes 40% (maybe better since less bad shots, in theory, are taken)

in conclusion the point of the whole thing is the team as a whole makes a higher % of shots. Few obviously would like more shots for SG to come in place of shots by the worst shooting players.

Appreciate the education lothar98zag! Examples like that were, are and always will be why I come to this forum.