PDA

View Full Version : Memphis anxiety

HOOTER
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
It's about 40 Hrs. until game time, and the anxiety has fully set in. It's that nervous uneasy feeling that inevitably set's in before a big game, except this time it's amplified due to the magnitude of this particular game. It's not that I doubt Gonzaga's ability to win, I'm just excited almost to the point of hysteria. I keep telling myself that it's unhealthy to get so emotionally involved in a basketball game, but I just can't help it. If your experiencing the same type of mental torment, I'd love to hear about it.

BobZag
01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.vividlight.com/40/images/02%20Gold%20Finch%20Relax.jpg

Akzag
01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Rather be anxious than cocky like the team was going into Chicago to face Illinois a few years ago ...

(this would be a good time for the staff to bust out that game tape - different kids, true, but they simply must be ready to ball ...)

BobZag
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Always best to have some butterflies. Mix in some pride, some anger, some focus, some determination..............

But Hooter, you gotta hang tough for a little longer. :)

gamagin
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
a glass of white wine, my favorite Michael Bolton or Barry White CD playing "random selection," and a good, long, soothing soak and helps me release my anger over how evil, mean, stupid, inconsiderate and selfish men can really be . . . . I just relax and l-e-t A-l-l the bitterness, disappointment & anger just drift away with the soft music and tiny bubbles . . . .

OOPs ! wrong thread !

ZagNative
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Speaking of wrong thread, your expertise (i.e., advanced age and excellent recall) is needed over on the Arny's (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=152426#post152426)thread, Gamagin.

P.S. I would never have pegged you as being so sensitive, Gamagin. You are a man of many facets!

HOOTER
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
a glass of white wine, my favorite Michael Bolton or Barry White CD playing

I'm giving cold brew and the Oregon vs. UCLA game a try, but I haven't been able to shake it so far.

MedZag
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
The game anxiety has been replaced by the realization that I have to know all of this by next wednesday:

http://www.finaljudgement.net/hell.jpg

ZaggyStardust
01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Throw in that tape or DVD of the North Carolina game from last year.... The one where we started out 0-12 or something gawd-awful.... Then watch Bouldin to Kuso for 8 straight points and then watch the giant killers come alive.. From about the 7 minutes left of the first half through the first 10 of the second half was about the most perfect B'ball the Zag's have played in the past few years. That game always reminds me of how Zag Pride and Determination can overcome any foe!!!!!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

ZagsGoZags
01-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that game was like a dream
and near the end, when I was preparing myself emotionally for a possible NC comback, we continued strong

it was beautiful

ZagMania
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Throw in that tape or DVD of the North Carolina game from last year.... The one where we started out 0-12 or something gawd-awful.... Then watch Bouldin to Kuso for 8 straight points and then watch the giant killers come alive.. From about the 7 minutes left of the first half through the first 10 of the second half was about the most perfect B'ball the Zag's have played in the past few years. That game always reminds me of how Zag Pride and Determination can overcome any foe!!!!!!!

Oh man, that start was brutal. The Zags came out playing so well at the beginning of last season and my hopes were dashed when we fell down very early to UNC. Then the Bouldin to Kuso connection came alive. Man that was a fun game.

Birddog
01-25-2008, 04:42 AM
The 28 pt lead over Texas was almost as fun to watch as the game vs UNC. I'd love to see the Zags click like that again, it's been awhile vs a major competitor. There is something to be said about putting a whuppin' on somebody. BTW, I think Memphis is way more beatable than Kansas. That Kansas team is verrrry good.

Birddog

FrosTbear
01-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Always best to have some butterflies. Mix in some pride, some anger, some focus, some determination..............

OK BZ I think I'm having the same problem as HOOTER my butterflies flew away two hours ago and I think I am left with the pride and focus. But it does help practicing yelling at the TV with a large amount of determination.

RenoZag
01-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Less than 25 hours to go. . .

rennis
01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Less than 25 hours to go. . .

if you need to settle your nerves just watch the Memphis/Uconn games in this thread:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=9021

If UConn can play with 'em, so can we.

gotigergo
01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm just excited almost to the point of hysteria. I keep telling myself that it's unhealthy to get so emotionally involved in a basketball game, but I just can't help it. If your experiencing the same type of mental torment, I'd love to hear about it.

Hooter, I'm a Memphis fan and feel the exact same way...looks like it's going to be a fun game.:)

HOOTER
01-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Just under 12 Hrs. to go. It's going to be tough to sleep tonight.

Zag4Hire
01-25-2008, 08:17 PM
G-O-N-Z-A-G-A GO GONZAGA!

I have never awaited such an early start as now.

One note: Have we have ever had such a deep bench in the last few years as now? That makes me confident with foul trouble. Not many teams can pull a Downs, Daye, Sacre, etc. off the bench in trouble let alone match the talent level.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh man, that start was brutal. The Zags came out playing so well at the beginning of last season and my hopes were dashed when we fell down very early to UNC. Then the Bouldin to Kuso connection came alive. Man that was a fun game.

This game is on my iPod.

HOOTER
01-26-2008, 11:27 AM
My anxiety has been replaced with pride and just a hint of sadness. It was a heck of a game and I guess, in hindsight, my anxiety was unnecessary, although it will return come the next big game.