PDA

View Full Version : This, that and the other

BobZag
01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Hobbs small forward Jeff Taylor is one of the top unsigned prospects in the 2008 class. The 6-foot-7, 185-pound wing officially visited UNLV, Gonzaga and Texas in September, but decided to wait until the spring to decide on a future destination. Last weekend, Taylor took the fourth of five official visits to Nashville to check out Vanderbilt.

The Zags will fly out to Memphis early Friday morning, stop in Texas to watch Meech, then up to Memphis.

An interesting Q&A with Josh in today's S-R. He's lost 15 lbs from bronchitis and peeps are wondering why he hasn't played better. Much more in the Q&A. Good job, Jim Meehan.

roxdoc
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
In the article Josh says his foot is 100%.

UberZagFan
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
An interesting Q&A with Josh in today's S-R. He's lost 15 lbs from bronchitis and peeps are wondering why he hasn't played better. Much more in the Q&A. Good job, Jim Meehan.

No wonder.

former1dog
01-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Wow, that's surprising. I thought he just didn't care.

lothar98zag
01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
The Zags will fly out to Memphis early Friday morning, stop in Texas to watch Meech, then up to Memphis.

The whole team to Texas or just the coaches?

Are they going to see him play in a game Friday night and then travel to Memphis for the early Sat game?

Hopefully they're just going to say "Hi" or watch him play a 2pm game...

Oh well, I guess the coaches know best...

Rubbadub
01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
In the last press conference, Calipari told reporters GU was flying into Memphis today...this must have been a last minute decision.

UberZagFan
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey they got their own jet now..they can fly around wherever they want and whenever they want!

ZagNative
01-24-2008, 11:13 AM
The whole team to Texas or just the coaches?

Are they going to see him play in a game Friday night and then travel to Memphis for the early Sat game?

Hopefully they're just going to say "Hi" or watch him play a 2pm game...

Oh well, I guess the coaches know best...
Meech's game is a 7:00 pm game (5:00 pm pst). I'm definitely going to be listening to the game on tsrnsports.com (http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broadcast-Schedule-2007.htm). They show the start time for the show at 6:35 pm. Must be a pre-game show.

Goshzagit
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Taylor took the fourth of five official visits to Nashville to check out Vanderbilt.

As much as I want Taylor in a Zag uniform, this visit is not the best news for Gonzaga. I recently had the pleasure of stepping foot on Vanderbilt's campus. The good news for GU is how similar our Universities are in respect to student-body, campus size, academics, athletics, and each having a small campus community located in a large urban environment. Their city back drop being Nashville TN, which happens to be a lovely city and a great place to live, work, play. Overall, I was floored by the majestic beauty and charm of Vandy's campus and architecture. The campus is truly something to admire and behold. The school is also private and affiliated with the Episcopal church. Vanderbilt is routinely considered a top-tier university in US, along the lines of Notre Dame, Georgetown, etc.

They are D1 in all sports and a part of the South Eastern Conference(SEC). They have a loyal fan base whom seem knowledgeable and passionate about their Commodores. The facilities appear to be top-notch, and its both a football and basketball school, unlike others schools in the SEC. Their Basketball team is ranked in the Top-15 this season and making major noise in leading the SEC and are a virtual lock to make the big-dance. Not the best time to be comparing Gonzaga with Vanderbilt, if you ask me.

Let's hope Coach Few has worked his recruiting magic once again, because after visiting Vanderbilt for the first time, its unlike any other school I've visited, besides Gonzaga of course. I have a feeling its going to be between us and them. On the bright side, Taylor seems to be searching for small, close-knit campus communities with great reputations in academics and athletics. That could be us!! :D

antbanks
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Hobbs small forward Jeff Taylor is one of the top unsigned prospects in the 2008 class. The 6-foot-7, 185-pound wing officially visited UNLV, Gonzaga and Texas in September, but decided to wait until the spring to decide on a future destination. Last weekend, Taylor took the fourth of five official visits to Nashville to check out Vanderbilt.

An interesting Q&A with Josh in today's S-R. He's lost 15 lbs from bronchitis and peeps are wondering why he hasn't played better. Much more in the Q&A. Good job, Jim Meehan.where are you getting the information about Jeff Taylor from, just wonderind because i have heard nothing about him visiting all those schools, from what i know he has just been to Texas and Texas Tech so far

antbanks
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
there was also a Texas A & M scout at Jeffs last game on tuesday scouting Jeff

ZagNative
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Here's more, this from the Louisville Courier-Journal (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2008/01/another-uk-target.html):

Thursday, January 24, 2008
Another UK target?
It seems like a new name (OK, sometimes two or even more) of a basketball prospect that is being targeted by the University of Kentucky pops up on a daily basis these days.

And the latest is Jeff Taylor.

The 6-foot-7, 195-pound scoring machine from Hobbs (N.M.) had been recruited by Billy Gillispie when he was at Texas A&M and now the Wildcats have been in contact.

"They were recruiting him hard when they were at A&M and some when they first took the (UK) job," Hobbs coach Russ Gilmore said. "Then, they backed off and now they're back on again. I would say it's semi right now."

Taylor, who averages 28 points a game for a 17-2 team, has taken visits to Vanderbilt, Texas, UNLV and Gonzaga. He's keeping his fifth visit open for right now.

"He's still open," Gilmore said. "They do keep in touch. I talked with (UK assistant) Jeremy (Cox) a couple of weeks ago and I know they have talked with Jeff. He'll call me periodically. They were out here before Christmas."

Taylor also has offers from Texas Tech, New Mexico and Nebraska among others. He was averaging 32 points a game before he injured his ankle in the first quarter of a game. Since his return, Taylor has scored 36, 31 and 31 points.

"He's 6-7 and a real athletic, slasher type of player," Gilmore said. "He's real athletic."

BobZag
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
It's a portion of an article/update on Rivals' Texas site.