PDA

View Full Version : Arny's

TimZag
01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I was told that Arny's is closing down for good in the near future. Bummer.

TheBeast
01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
This is the last weekend for Arny's. I would be there if I could get out of my stuff this weekend.
It's sad to think that I'll never have another shot at being able to eat an entire Arny's Combo.

Birddog
01-24-2008, 06:09 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.arnysdiner.com/logo_a2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.arnysdiner.com/history.htm&h=152&w=302&sz=9&hl=en&start=121&sig2=RyDhz_nK7p7uTqF67tH4gw&tbnid=5TKbXQOEZHkYkM:&tbnh=58&tbnw=116&ei=yJuYR47mFpeMigHTsIHWCQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddairy%2Bfreeze%2Bspokane%26start%3D12 0%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

This history is incorrect BTW, ZagNative, Gamagin, or JHoop could shed more light, but it didn't even exist in 1949, and I'm pretty sure the Martire's were still in Italy
Birddog

TheBeast
01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.arnysdiner.com/logo_a2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.arnysdiner.com/history.htm&h=152&w=302&sz=9&hl=en&start=121&sig2=RyDhz_nK7p7uTqF67tH4gw&tbnid=5TKbXQOEZHkYkM:&tbnh=58&tbnw=116&ei=yJuYR47mFpeMigHTsIHWCQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddairy%2Bfreeze%2Bspokane%26start%3D12 0%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

This history is incorrect BTW, ZagNative, Gamagin, or JHoop could shed more light, but it didn't even exist in 1949, and I'm pretty sure the Martire's were still in Italy
Birddog

I'm telling Jo on you.

zagzealot
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know why? Real estate deal (I can imagine Starbucks would be chomping at the bit for more parking or a drive thru)? Or is the restaurant not doing well? I tell ya, we were there about 3 months ago and had less than impressive food and service.

sdzag
01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
RIP Arny's

Many memories, Loved the Linebacker, I just did a moment of silence.

lothar98zag
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
didn't a former owner open another place in town? maybe the food there is similar...

former1dog
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Arny's will forever be the spot where my buddy told me a story so funny that I snorted a malted milkshake out of my nose.

RIP Arny's. :(

zag69
01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh wow....the Double Whammy. I used to love those, ate 'em all the time.

That reminds me, I have an angiogram scheduled for next Friday. Eh, it was worth it.

BobZag
01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Bummer. A tasty grouping of eateries around there. David's, Pete's, Pita Pit, Jack & Dan's, good stuff. Arny's will be missed.

ZagNative
01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
My first memories of the place would be in the late '50's, when it was (Mike's) Dairy Freeze. I would die for a Stroboli back in those days, although the $.19 Zips burger was more in line with the budgets of me and my Holy Names buddies. I still can literally taste those old-time Strombolis. Last time I had one, it didn't seem anywhere near as good. (But, then, I can remember how much better the tomatoes my mom used to buy by the flat from farmers markets on East Sprague used to taste in those days too.)

JIHoops and Gamagin might know more about the history, living closer to the place than I did.

I still had burgers for lunch often at Arny's when I worked on West Cataldo four or five years ago.

Gosh, where do we go now for an Arny-style burger? I'm hungry for one this minute! Ain't going out in the snow and cold, though.

madzag
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Bummer. The chocolate shake and french toast combo was the perfect hangover cure :)

gamagin
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
ZN summoned me to this thread.

there are a lot of questions about Arny's on this thread. I think I have a few answers.

The Dairy Freeze, now Arny's, was built about 1950 by Frankie Almond (sp?). He lived next door, where the pita pit is now.

Almond ran the Dairy Freeze for 2-3 years and then sold to Mike Aquino, about 1952.

Mike nurtured, built up and ran the Dairy Freeze until about 1958-1959. Aquino moved out to east trent where he bought the Burger Royale, about 2 blocks east of the now gone restaurant, Town and country. The aquino family may still own the Burger Royale. I don't know. Mike, jr., who was the owner-operator, died a couple of years ago and I lost track.

Mike Aquino is the man who invented the famous Stromboli (ham, good, fresh, Italian, provolone cheese and a generous splash of "secret" Italian sauce w/hamburger bits & onions in it ladeled into a half a loaf of french bread right over the meat and cheese. The wax paper holding this hot, heavy piece of heaven could barely contain the ooze bubbling out all over. A toothpick kept the concoction from exploding out of the paper.

A stromboli would produce an oily, hot skid mark on your clothing with each bite. It pretty much caused the same thing to happen again, on the way out.

It woud turn your breath into the odor of baby spit up (I mean, hot provolone) and could ruin a perfectly good date in the process.

You had to be going steady to eat one on a real date. And you both had to eat one, or share one, or else the powerful, addictive "magic" of the stromboli would leave the non participating person sniffing around as if someone had had a serious accident. Or problem.

In other words, the experience, taste and after taste, was fabulous. As long as you were the person eating one.

If you happened to be sporting a six pack inside your stomach after a night of being cool, well, the stromboli really found a home down there amongst the hops. It settled the savage beast. Most of the time.

Mike Aquino also created and named the double whammy. Double burger, double cheese,bacon, on half a french loaf, and due to popular demand, for a small bit more of spare change, you could get it smothered in stromboli sauce, too.

BLISS ! !

I understand Dick's drive inn, Spokane, still pays the Aquino family a small amount each year for the right to sell its version of the double whammy.

Mike sold the Freeze to Ray Martire, a young man whom Aquino had sponsored as an immigrant from Italy, about 1958. Ray and Dora ran the Freeze until about 1985, had a huge following and served at least two generations of St. Al's, GU and GPrep students, second generation devotees, the same as Mike had done.

Ray turned the Freeze over to his son, Frankie for a year or so, before it was sold to Pat Jeppeson and partners about 1989.

A few older brothers of mine worked for the original owner, Frank Almond, two others worked for Mike and I worked for Mike and a little bit with Ray. I cleaned, mopped up, took out the garbage & chopped onions for food and a little money under the table.

Jeppeson (who did about a dozen similar projects around Spokane) kept the Dairy Freeze footprint, but remodeled the store completely, then reopend as Arny's.

He also secured the rights to sell the whammy and the Stromboli (i don't think either ever measured up to the real deal; also the real deal was available at aquino's burger royal, so anyone could compare). Jeppeson & Co., ran Arny's as a three-meal-a-day joint for several years before it became a breakfast and lunch only diner. Somewhere in there Jeppeson sold.

The current owner, the one closing, is a couple who decided to get out at least a year ago when (I think) the husband got a job out of state. It has been for sale at least a year. Several deals to sell it fell through. The wife stayed back and was running the diner.

I don't know how many owners have been at Arny's, but I would guess at least three.

So what happens next ? I don't know but I can find out quickly.

The property is owned by John Stockton, who bought it from the Martires or Jeppeson. JS also owns the property from Arny's to Boone, including starbucks, davids and what was the clinic (Pia pit).

Now that you know that, the options are either JS will scrape (which would mean he bought out the owner's business and needs more parking), or the business was sold to a new operator who will try and make a go of it w/JS as the landlord.

That said, Jack and Dan's now serves a full menu of food, the pita pit is behind Arny's, Starbucks and a bagle shop are across the parking lot they all share, Pete's Pizza is across the street, so is the bulldog, which serves a good burger, and a Thai restaurant is south of Jack and Dan's.

In sum, there is alot of competition in a small space. More is on the way as GU plans to build a 600 space carpark across the street (southwest corner boone and hamilton--the whole block) from David's. When finished, there will be commercial retail bays all along the Hamilton side with, presumably, plenty of parking for customers.

But even with all the competition, none of those places, so far, serves breakfast. So there may yet be an unfilled niche in Arny's for another generation, or more, of neighborhood afficianados.

We'll see. And I'll know soon & report back.

Questions ?

best regards,

TheBeast
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
All I know is that I'm going to miss being harassed for being "out of sorts" when I go in on weekend mornings during my short visits to Spokane. A couple years ago I was in town for a long weekend visiting friends and was getting the usual treatment from Jo when the other waitress piped up and tore into me, too. My bleary eyed response?
"I know we just met, but it feels like you've been hating me for years."

Oh, and my senior year, one of my friends would get his hands on some of the of the steak and ingredients that Arny's used in their Philly Cheesesteaks. We ate like kings! Oh wow! Now my mouth is watering...

I'm really gonna miss that place. Not too many places like it in the world these days, food, service, and other.

Birddog
01-25-2008, 06:00 AM
"Meet me at the Freeze" could have been fightin' words or just an invite to have a burger and coke. I believe also that Mike Acquino was the one who introduced grilled offerings at the Freeze, prior to that it was strictly a soft ice cream, shake, etc operation. Diversification was key to success. Locals could always go through the back door and sit around on the freezers BSing over their Cherry Cokes, occasionally helping out when needed. Gamagin is right about the Stromboli smell. The back room always smelled like spoiled milk and stinking cheese with a whiff of special sauce thrown in.

OK old timers, remember Mikes old yellow Model T or was it a Model A Ford with the Dairy Freeze logo and info painted on the sides? I think he may used it at Burger Royal too.

Birddog

ZagNative
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Gamagin, Wow! That right there is a masterpiece. Shouldn't this thread go in the Blue & White? And shouldn't GUBoards and/or the Gonzaga community hire a keeper for Gamagin so he doesn't step off a curb in front of a beer truck someday and take all that great St. Al's/Gonzaga neighborhood history with him?

Thanks so much for a superb offering, Gamagin, and to all of the rest of the posters on this thread who gave so much of the flavor of the place to the rest of us.

Zagineer
01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
How sad to hear Stomboli's.... errr.....Arny's is closing.

Back in my day ('67-'71), it went by the name of Stromboli's. But the bond is stronger than just my GU years. I went to school with Mike Aquino's niece as a classmate in grade school at St. Pascal and in high school at West Valley in the Spokane Valley. (Louise. At least my old memory recalls her as Mike's niece and not his daughter, but I could be mistaken at my age.)

During high school, the Burger Royale was the place to go for great burgers and fried chicken.

So many GU memories of going to Stromboli's at 11:00 pm on a school night after 4 hours in the Crosby Library (yeah, yeah yeah. I needed to. I was in the School of Engineering). Nothing like ordering a Double Whammy to go, taking it back to Dooley to team up with a couple cold brews from the dorm room frig (which was an old Coke vending machine my roommate and I picked up in salvage).

Joey's is now Jack & Dan's. The Bubble Inn is gone. You can't get a Polish Sausage with hot mustard at the Bulldog anymore. Arny's (Stromboli's) is no more. What is the world coming to?

At least there is one constant. Zag BBall lives on from the Big Sky into the WCC!

MedZag
01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
We used to go once a week for a late breakfast. Ultimate hangover killer.

I still remember the time with a couple of buddies of mine when at 3am after an especially excessive night of drinking we decided we wanted to go to Arny's. We waited the 3 hours, helping each other fight to urge to pass out, and showed up at 6am for breakfast. Jo gave us so much crap for it, but it was totally worth it.

Anyone know whats going to happen with the diner/property?

Birddog
01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Back in my day ('67-'71), it went by the name of Stromboli's.

You're right in a sense, it was only students at GU that called the place Stroms (the more frequently used name in my memory). This came about because somebody started the story that the owners were named Stromboli when in fact it was still owned by Ray and Dora Martire. See Gamagins ownership timeline. As a Freshman I got in a heated argument with a Sophomore about this and despite my explaining that I grew up a long city block from the store and practically kitty corner from the Martires the sophomore didn't believe me. I think that this "urban legend" of sorts may have come about because another popular spot, Domini's Tavern downtown served sandwiches which were quite popular. At least once a week someone would make a "Dom's run" from our dorm for some sandwiches. If I remember correctly, you had to charge 9 people a buck and that would get the person making the run theirs for free. The owners of Domini's were indeed named Domini. Many other establishments copied the Domini's type of sandwich. Joey's was not one of them. Instead IIRC, they had an intercom to Strom's, (The Freeze etc) across the street. They'd make your order for a "Dubbla Wham" and then Ray would call back when the order was ready. You just slipped off your stool for a moment and walked across the street and back hardly missing a beat.

Birddog

Dogtownkid
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
When I returned to Spokane after many years in foreign parts (California, for one), I could hardly wait to go to Arny's for a Stromboli. What a disappointment! It wasn't the same. The tang was missing from the sauce, and the "French bread" --or whatever that stuff was--didn't taste the same. It wasn't as chewy.

I guess Thomas Wolfe was right when he said that you can't go home again.

UberZagFan
02-01-2008, 08:29 AM
What a bummer! 229Sinto will be very disappointed. An Arny's breakfast the following morning after a late night at Jack & Dan's was a must.

And Uber agrees this thread should be in Mae's Blue & White Cafe forum.

GoBulldogs
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
The sign on Arny's says it will open in Spring when she gets back from vacation....hope this is true.

gamagin
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
From my source, a good one.

The lady who owns Arny's, the business (name, recipes, rest. equipment and lease) but not the property, has closed the doors.

The restaurant is for sale, the property (building and land) is not.

Should you or I buy it (it started out for sale at $150k many months ago but got no takers, so presumably it would be much less), one of us could reopen as Arny's, or change it like it was changed from the Dairy Freeze to Arny's.

So the fate of this building as Arny's will be completely up to whoever steps up and buys the business.

That's as far as this deal has gone to date. It's wide open.

TheBeast
02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
From my source, a good one.

The lady who owns Arny's, the business (name, recipes, rest. equipment and lease) but not the property, has closed the doors.

The restaurant is for sale, the property (building and land) is not.

Should you or I buy it (it started out for sale at $150k many months ago but got no takers, so presumably it would be much less), one of us could reopen as Arny's, or change it like it was changed from the Dairy Freeze to Arny's.

So the fate of this building as Arny's will be completely up to whoever steps up and buys the business.

That's as far as this deal has gone to date. It's wide open.

I will move to Spokane and operate it. I am dead serious if anyone wants to invest. I'm pretty cheap, too.

Zag 77
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Ray Martire,80, who ran the Dairy Freeze, says GU owns the land and building. He suspects in the long run they probably will raze the place since the other GU properties on that corner are already short on parking. GU would never let him expand, so one night a drunk crashed his car into the back wall, and he added on a couple of feet when they fixed the wall.

He says he enjoyed great years running the Freeze and entertained a couple of generations of GU and G-Prep kids with his stories. He says it was actually a stage for him and selling the food was a sidelight.

One of his favorite stoies comes from the days when Catholics could not eat meat on any Friday, which was bad for his Friday night business. He just would set his clock 30 minutes fast to get the kids in for a midnight burger to break their fast.

He also tells some great stories where he would break up fights by the Prep kids in the lot by inviting them them in for a free burger and Coke.

gamagin
02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
the land and building.

As stated above, John Stockton owns it, along with the buildings that now house the Pita Pit, Starbucks & the bagel shop, and David's Pizza.

gamagin
02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
The lady who owned the business and the lease on Arny's has walked away. this means its for lease, as is.

The advantage is a qualified person couldl potentially get in there for a lot less than it would take to buy an existing, running business, then lease the building.

The disadvantages might be the lady left with or sold off much of the equipment etc., perhaps the recipes, like for the stromboli & double whammy (or rights to the names, if that is the case) with her.

I don't know the answers, or just how much it would take to ramp the business back up.

I did ask an excellent source if there were any plans to scrape the site for parking. The answer was no, there are no such plans at this time.

The hope is for a new operator to take over Arny's, or remodel it and do whatever that person might have in mind at that location to make a go of it.

The property is managed by Greg Byrd of Byrd Real Estate Group, spokane.

gamagin
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I saw the sign this week. Construction workers are busy remodeling the exterior and I would presume, the inside as well. the arny's signs are gone.

Wolffy's was a 3-4 store chain that I thought had disappeared from the spokane scene a few years ago.

I am not sure if there is another outlet besides this one, but there used to be Wolffy's outlets near Francis and Wall on the North side (in front of the Safeway store), and across the street from the Longhorn on Argonne in the valley (inside an old A & W rootbeer restaurant).

However, Wollfy's no longer exists at either site, so I don't know if this is a "new" Wolffy's w/new owners or what. But I will find out of one of you doesn't beat me to it.

However, Wolffy's is/was essentially a hamburger joint. Don't know if they plan to serve breakfast like Arny's did.

Stay tuned.

TheBeast
03-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, there goes my grand plan.

jhoop
03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Ray, a good friend, is wrong about who owns the land and building.

As stated above, John Stockton owns it, along with the buildings that now house the Pita Pit, Starbucks & the bagel shop, and David's Pizza.

When Ray owned the business the real estate was owned by the Jesuits through their real estate arm known as Pioneer Education. Because it was the Jesuits, the common belief was that Gonzaga University owned the property. As a practical matter I believe the major decisions concerning the property had major input from the GU administration. The Jebbies also owned everything south to Boone as well as Jack & Dan's across Hamilton and everything south to and including the Vietnamese restaurant (it's not Thai). John Stockton subsequently bought all of the aformentioned real estate toward the end of his pro career.

gamagin
04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I stopped and looked at the ongoing remodel at what will become Wolffy's and it looks extensive. From electrical on the roof all the way through the inside.

When it opened as the Dairy Freeze, it was a square building with glass running the length of Hamilton and for about 10-15 feet back on the sharp and parking lot sides. the rest of the building was cinder block. Patrons were served at an order window facing hamilton. the back of the store was for supplies and for prep work.

the public was not allowed in the back, but many locals began walking into the back to visit with Mike Aquino, and later Ray Martire, but generally, there never was public access.

When Pat Jeppeson purchased the business from Frankie Martire, Ray's son (see the history above), he remodeled it to look like his version of a 50's drive-in, named it Arny's and transformed it into the breakfast and lunch business, adding inside seating and the drive-through window.

Just from looking at what is being done now, so far, it looks like the transformation will mostly involve updating the electrical, perhaps re doing the roof and then spiffing the inside, repairing & painting the exterior and, finally, changing the name.

In the past, I have been in Wolffy's that essentially were transformed out of failed previous businesses, like a former A & W, and not much was changed, except a swicth to their menu.

With the emergence of a popular Rocket drive inn across the street from the new GU housing development (at the sw corner of Sharp & Ruby), my guess is Wolffy's will attempt to get some of that same atmosphere and business going on the nw corner of Hamilton and sharp, about 8 blocks away.

I have been attempting to get more info, but so far, I haven't been able to talk to anyone but workers, who don't know much about the final product and look.

But soon, I expect only the shadow of Arny's as many of you remember it.

And no sign whatsoever of the old Dairy Freeze, except maybe a little stromboli sauce entombed between the cracks of the asphalt parking lot, accompanied by a pungent smell of onions emanating from the chopper in the back room.

In my memory and in my youth. forever.

zagzealot
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Wolffy's = peanut butter shakes = big time yummy!

eastsideballer
04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
As much as I can understand the sentiments that have gone along with the history of this eatery i cant help but think that the latest lady that ran that place chased off her share of customers. While i like to banter with the best of them, she was just plain rude most of the time. If that attitude comes with fantastic service or stellar food i can deal, but when she is charging 10+ dollars for a breakfast that doesnt live up to what Franks can deliver then delete a bit of the meanness and offer a smile or something for goodness sake.
I know this wont be well received with the masses but from someone that is forced to eat on the town more than his share with clients, there comes a time to blend the overall ambiance with a quality meal.

gamagin
04-22-2008, 06:48 PM
the last owner went out of business because the service and product and hours became sketchy. and i, too, stopped going there along with alot of other folks.

the history of the place and the good times, and better owners and food, however, remain as warm spots in my heart and mind.

regards,

Birddog
04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
peanut butter shakes

Peanut Butter shakes, my favorite! The only shake that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

MedZag
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Hopefully more will learn of the amazing hidden garden on division that is Kalico Kitchen.

75Zag
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a very dim recollection of a restaurant on Boone directly across the street from the Ad Building which was called "Packy's" or perhaps "Packy's Pack Out". Am I dreaming, or did such a place exist? Seems it was open all night or nearly all night, and they sold some of the great gut bomb food of the generation, including a "Student Stuffer" made with cube steak, and a "Blitz" made with split polish sausage. Would have been between 71 and 76. Is my beer poisoned brain creating this oasis of happy memories, or did it really exist?

gamagin
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
It started life as Fallon's (run by the Fallon family) and became Packy's under a couple of different folk's. The first one was named Packy (Boyle, I think).
The last incarnation was was run by a former classmate of mine at St. Al's, Bill Oxreider. Bill was a whale of a football player, was all city at st. al's and Gonzaga prep, went into the Marines during Vietnam and came home with a chest full of medals and serious, debilitating wounds as well.

I don't know when Packy left (or died, perhaps) and Bill took over. I suspect it was Bill that fed you. He was quite a cook. Big, heavyset and overweight with curly blonde (turning gray) hair. and a loud laugh and good sense of humor, too.

Fallon's/Packy's final use was as a structure was as the GU post office before the building was leveled and is now part of the school's entrance roughly in front of the Russel theatre.

across the street (west and a little south) from Fallon's/Packy's was Mae's Blue & white Cafe, for which this GU Board site is named.

It was also known as Dutch's and the Irish-Dutch Inn, because it was owned and run by Dutch Ryan and his very Irish wife, Mae Ryan. After Dutch died, Mae ran it for another 15-20 years, then turned it over to a daughter who ran it for several years after Mae.

I wrote about Dutch's (as we called it) a year or two ago and the piece is somewhere in this board's archives, fwiw.

Hope that helps.

RenoZag
04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
I travelled to Packy's from the fall of 75 to Spring of 79 for many late-night cheeseburgers w/ fries. Better class of grease than Zips and there were some cool pinball machines too.

Oxreider could be very chatty, especially in the post-lunch lull, when you could grab a cup of Joe and pick almost any seat in the joint. Bill was a barrel-chested guy. . .when Kevin James made it big on TV, his countenance reminded me of Bill.

Birddog
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Packy's was originally called Packy's Pantry IIRC, As Gamagin stated, it was called Fallon's before that. I think the full name was Fallon's Daily Lunch, and it was right next to the alley. When Packy took over the pinball machines became more noteworthy. Both Fallon's and the Blue and White served 3 squares a day in the early days, there was no COG back then. Some of the students would buy meal tickets (at least at the Blue and White) and have them punched as they took meals. This practice lasted after the COG was built, but quickly declined. By the time I was attending GU, 65-69, I don't think they sold them, unless maybe to some Law students, as all undergrads except Spokane students were required to live on campus and take meals there too.

a13coach
04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I have a very dim recollection of a restaurant on Boone directly across the street from the Ad Building which was called "Packy's" or perhaps "Packy's Pack Out". Am I dreaming, or did such a place exist? Seems it was open all night or nearly all night, and they sold some of the great gut bomb food of the generation, including a "Student Stuffer" made with cube steak, and a "Blitz" made with split polish sausage. Would have been between 71 and 76. Is my beer poisoned brain creating this oasis of happy memories, or did it really exist?

I remember Packy's well. As Gamagin said it was north of Campion hall just across the alley. And my favorite was the Blitz, a polish sausage sliced down the middle, grilled, and served with all the fixings, mustard, chopped onions, pickles even a barbecue sauce if my memory serves me. I remember the pinball machines and some of the first video arcade games (this was 1980-83), Astroids, Galaga!
I am pretty sure though that the last guy to run it was a Tony Ferraro, whose family also used to have Ferraro's donoughts up on N. Division at the top of the hill near Northtown. I remember having to hang around late one spring and the last night before he closed down for the summer Tony closed the doors early and brought a bottle of whiskey to share with the few of us that stopped in for a last Packy's run of the school year.

gamagin
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
You could be, and probably are, right that Ferraro was the last. I only went in there occasionally, with my kids, for the fries & the pinballs, when Ox was running it. My kids love this guy, and that joint.

Ox was himself a big kid and seemed to thoroughly enjoy his customers.

In the small world category, Ferraro's family was brought to Spokane from Italy by Ray Martire, who was brought (sponsored) by Mike Aquino, the latter two of Dairy Freeze fame. I believe the Ferraros and Martires were cousins.

Ferraro used to work at the Dairy Freeze as a young kid, as did other members of his family.

Besides his donut business (quite a few outlets at one time), I believe Ferraro purchased the Steer Inn hamburger joints from another fine Catholic, Terry Corrigan, and still owns them, unless his kids are now involved.

a13coach
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Gamagin,
Your are correct. I just found this bit on the web.

The Steer Inn qualifies as an underrated Spokane landmark.
It started 55 years ago as a Division Street walk-up burger hut and slowly morphed into an eat-in, drive-thru restaurant that tends to get lost amid the 5 gazillion fast food joints that have opened in the years since along the faux-freeway strip.
"Since I've been here, there's been so many chains coming through, and I've been worried about every one," said Pat Ferraro, who took over the North Division location more than two decades ago (his brother, Tony, owns the second location at 3547 N. Market St.). "But to be here for 24 years against all these invaders from other places, I must be doing something right."

http://www.spokane7.com/food/stories/?ID=7952

ZAGLAWQB
11-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Law alum, 77-80: I thought Packy's was open when I began in the fall of 77 and closed within a year or so...??

RenoZag
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Undergrad Fall 75 - Spring 79: Pakie's was open at least for that time frame.

TheBeast
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I was thinking about making a trip to Spokane this weekend. Then I remembered Arny's is no more. :(

sonuvazag
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
It's Wolfy's now. Worth a try.

TheBeast
08-06-2010, 06:33 PM
It's Wolfy's now. Worth a try.

No. I fear change.