PDA

View Full Version : The "Much Love to PMAC" thread...

FuManShoes
02-11-2007, 07:32 PM
He took three shots in that time, so he's not being gun-shy. Guess he doesn't really have a role in the current rotation. Is that because there's no Josh to anchor a 4-guard lineup or because Few just doesn't think PMAC can help out there? Sorry to see him become the odd-man out. Though, I suppose he's had his chances....

kylasdad
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I was at the game and was very surprised to see PMac take a few shots early in the game. I was encouraged. But there were two specific times where he seemed giddy and turned the ball over traveling. After the first time Few immediately said, "Pierre, calm down."

lothar98zag
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
W/ PMAC being the last one off the bench before Saturday's game, I just don't see his minutes going up when GU needs as much height on the floor as possible*. He can sub out DR or Pargo, but if he comes in for anyone else the team loses too much height, IMHO. And since DR & Pargo need to be on the floor as much as possible for the team to do well...

For better or worse it all adds up to PMAC not getting very many minutes.

*not Burgess or Foster - I think it has become obvious that unless there's extreme foul trouble these two won't see meaningful minutes this season.

former1dog
02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
[This threads for you, You Reach I Teach]

Solid contribution which deserves some recognition in the form of his own thread.

john montana
02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
didn't see the game but i'm glad to hear he played well. i might not think he should be getting a ton of minutes, but i'm thrilled he contributed to a huge win last night!

good job pmac, hope this helps your confidence and you continue contributing.

Asotin
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Someone should dig up the link to the canadian hs dunk comp that p-mac was in. I always enjoy watching that one.

Sidetrack: What ever happened to Bekkering (sp?)?

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Things didn't work out for Henry at EWU; he's now playing for the University of Calgary Dinos.

Little sister Janelle, who turned down a scholly from Stanford, is redshirting at GU after tearing an ACL in pre-season practice. She'll be a huge contributor on the women's team next year.

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Few's willingness to allow GU to be more aggressive on defense allowed PMAC to excel in last night's game. I'd sure like to see that continue into the tourney.

Zaghuatanejo
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Someone should dig up the link to the canadian hs dunk comp that p-mac was in. I always enjoy watching that one.

Sidetrack: What ever happened to Bekkering (sp?)?

Here you go. Only a little bit of P-Mac though, mostly Bekkering
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHALbUSnYB0

sanfranzagsguy20
02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
i thought pmac came up huge when we really needed him...personally i was surprised that he was so sharp because, let's face it, he never plays...none of us really know what the reason is, but in any event he helped his case for more pt with gamer performances like last night...but one night's performance doesnt warrant him his starting spot back or anything close...if he can come off the bench like last night and be a disruptive defender he can be very valuable to us in the postseason....but ill believe it when i see it...he's shown little to no confidence and consistency thus far this year

brasszag
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I think it's mostly that he went out there and was aggressive in putting up a shot immediatly (from what I recall of the game over the radio)

Few doesn't care if you miss shots, he cares if you don't take the shots you do have.

As long as PMAC does that - he's going to get his PT.

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 12:03 PM
One thing that I wanted to add on the PMAC discussion. During the game, one of the announcers made the comparison to Erroll. He said something to the effect that PMAC's contribution to the team can come from his defensive abilities and that he didn't need to be a scorer. Wonder if Few heard that? Does anyone ever recall EK being pulled for passing up an open look? Just curious.

I suppose the difference is that Few knows in his heart that PMAC can be a scorer and just wants PMAC to know the same.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's to a eight man rotation! Just in the nick of time!

DenDiegoZag
02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
He was agressive, confident, and seemed to know exactly where to be on the court. Everyone sitting around us at the game seemed to comment at one point or another about how well he seemed to be playing. He looked better than he has all year. Way to go PMAC!

bigblahla
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
DeRogatis didn't go off in the first half until PMAC was pulled. In the 2nd half when he came in I specifically watched him shadow DeRogatis off the ball. He got hit, shoved and still kept enough in his face that DeRogatis never got a good look. The offense was gravy, his defense was awesome. PMAC deserves more pt from this performance.

Go!! Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Had to settle for the KGA internet radio broadcast (by the way, why isn't Richard Fox on the air anymore.....just the play-by-play guy by his lonesome. Hope Richard hasn't been out and about in Cheney lately :-).
Sounds like PMac came into the game confident and as is apt to happen, his feeling confident translated into playing confident. I'd love to know to what we might attribute this re-discovered confidence (at least for last night's game), but seeing PMac playing to his ability and having fun doing it is enough for me! I too think an eight man rotation w a confident PMac is essential for tourney success.
Can't help but daydream about the proverbial three point shooting team capable of knocking any team out....we have a Few proven 3 ball threats: DRav, Downs, Bouldin....w the three P's - Pargo, Pendo, PMac - also capable of getting hot from three-land. IMAGINE.....a 10-13 seeding pitting us against a heavy favorite in the 2nd round only to have the Zags shoot the lights out from long range and slide safely into the Sweet 16!

lothar98zag
02-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Fox only does radio for the home games.

youreachiteach
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Some coaches beleive in Offense, some others beleive in Defense. The smart one's beleive in a combination of both.

ReluctantSpokie
02-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Derogatis became a nonfactor when P-Mac was on him. I was screaming at the TV when we were in the 2-3 without him... lead to a 13-0 San Diego run to end the half.

He was much more aggressive last night but he did pass up on one wide open three in the second half. Few seemed to have a longer leash with P-Mac, I wonder if that had to do with the fact that Raivio was under the weather.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Some coaches beleive in Offense, some others beleive in Defense. The smart one's beleive in a combination of both.

And this relates to the Much Love to PMac thread because.......

zzzjag
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
We arrived early and watched the shoot around, PMac was looking so good that my son said, "Dad, why isn't PMac playing more". This lead to several high 5s for us as he came in and injected his much needed energy on the D and O-Fence-ive (majerus) end.

Previous posts were dead on regarding his guarding of DeRogatis (sp?). I really liked the 1-3-1 press where he was the point disrupting USD's ability to get into their half court prior to 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock before it was broken.

Way to go!

RebornZag
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Right on guys....I think everyone is celebrating the victory last night, AND celebrating PMAC finally playing like PMAC...I agree with everything you guys said. The team needed him tonight for sure, and man did he step up and deliver. He came right in and hit that 3, and I'm like..."All right. PMAC may do it tonight." Raivio must have been sicker then a dog. PMAC had the energy tonight. He was brilliant. If he returns to that kind of a game, he will help the Zags so much. I think he will too. I could see how happy he was last night. I think the Zags are peaking at the right time, and that, afterall, means a lot in this game

madness
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Baby steps, baby steps...

PMAC is building back his game and rising like the PHOENIX...on Monday...

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Bump Bump Bump

youreachiteach
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I hope Few thinks the same way...

jigga5
04-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok its my first post here but I have been reading for awhile. Im a big GU fan and Im from Canada so i take particular interest in PMAC, THEO , and Sacre. But from reading the past couple of days BobZag has hinted in his posts that Pmac is not going to be here next year. I donno if this is whether he is transferring, loosing his schollie, or maybe even leaving GU and finishing his bball career (he grads soon). I was wondering if any insiders can shed some light on this topic or provide details to when the information regarding PMAC will be released. Thanks.

MDABE80
04-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Dunno about the information that MIGHT be released but I hope he has a wonderful senior season!

btzag
04-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, hope he is still around and think he would be a fantastic back-up this year but at GU's level some tough decisions have to be made at times...

BobZag
04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Gonzaga University junior Pierre Marie Altidor-Cespedes and sophomore Dave Burgess will not return to the Bulldogs men’s basketball team next season, head coach Mark Few confirmed Tuesday.

“Both are going to pursue opportunities elsewhere. We wish them the best in their future endeavors,” Few said.

Altidor-Cespedes, who came to the Bulldogs from Montreal, Quebec, where he prepped at Champlain St. Lambert, appeared in all 34 games for the Bulldogs this past season with 14 starts. He averaged 3.2 ppg, 1.6 rpg and 1.2 assists/game. He scored a season-high 14 points against Baylor University, his lone double-digit output of the season. His career high was 17 points at Pepperdine University as a sophomore. He will graduate in May with a degree in broadcasting and electronic media. He has told members of the Gonzaga coaching staff he may pursue a professional career overseas.

Burgess, who came to the Bulldogs in January of 2005 from Brigham Young University, wasn’t eligible under NCAA transfer rules until the end of the first semester last December, and his debut was delayed while rehabilitating a knee sprain suffered early in fall camp. His first appearance for the Bulldogs was Jan. 3 at the University of Virginia. He appeared in six games, averaging 1.0 ppg and 1.3 rpg.

Godzilla
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Thats sad. Pmac was an all around player and a great guy. :(

meadgrad02
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
i sure wasn't hoping that PMAC would leave. I really liked the guy, and loved what he brought to the defensive end. He could really contribute on the offensive end to when he had the confidence to, but i think that was taken away from him early in the season. I wish him the very best in all that he does in the future. Goodnight Canada.

gamagin
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
and thanks for the memories.

He reminded me many times of a thoroughbred race horse in that he seemed to have more speed, power, athleticism, strength and determination than his mind could handle.

TuckC
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry if this is allready posted, but Pierce just sent out news that in fact Burgess and Cespedes are gone. Cespedes will be a missed senior.

Akzag
04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
You really scanned those first five threads, didn't you?:horse:

former1dog
04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
FYI - Tuckc, I merged your thread into the already existing thread.

Zagster
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you have a favorite Pmac moment? Like his 3 pointer with 1.1 seconds to go from the right corner to give a a win over USF and a perfect 14-0 season record last year?

freezer12
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Wasn't that at USD? I'm pretty sure it was. I'll let the GU fans straighten this out.

lothar98zag
04-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Wasn't that at USD? I'm pretty sure it was. I'll let the GU fans straighten this out.
Errol Knight hit the winner vs USD

4EVERaZAG
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
My favorite P-MAC moment his game winner on Senior night last year at K2. Don't want to brag but actually called it before it happened knowing that Adam would probably get double teamed. Also enjoyed the three-pointer then steal and dunk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSLCo3q79xA

Good luck P-MAC wherever you go and whatever you do. Thanks for the memories

NorthWestZag
04-17-2007, 04:14 PM
How about in the 2nd half of the UW game this year?

UW is hinting at a comeback when PMAC steals the ball, monster slam dunk, and seals the game.

Nevtelen
04-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Definitely the 5 pts in about 15 secs vs UW this year. Beautiful 3, steal, dunk. Aw yeah. That was fantastic.

lothar98zag
04-17-2007, 04:29 PM
For me I think it's his 1st career start.

GonzagaLove
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
I for one will really miss PMAC. He is a kid with a lot of talent and a big heart. For a coaching staff who seemed determined to reward their veteran players (Mallon) with playing time, even if better players were available (Downs), this seems very odd. I hope PMAC made this decision without pressure from the staff, who I believe have failed him. I wish him the best of luck and a great Senior year. Good luck PMAC and thanks for the memories.

Zag 77
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
It is to his credit that he is graduating in 3 years. Not many non-athletes can accomplish that, let alone a student-athlete in a very time-consuming sport.

Hopefully he can make a few bucks overseas before he joins the rest of us in the world of PTA meetings and mowing the lawn.

Who know, maybe he may end up doing some broadcasting involving GU basketball someday.

23dpg
04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
It is to his credit that he is graduating in 3 years. Not many non-athletes can accomplish that, let alone a student-athlete in a very time-consuming sport..

I have always liked PMAC, now I like him even more. He and to some extent Mallon get picked on somewhat about their bball skills. I am more impressed the the student athlete than the athletic student.

4EVERaZAG
04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
It is sad for me to see a player such as Pierre go, some say that we won't miss him and maybe that is the case on the court. But as a student and as a Zag the loss is great. We lose a player of great character after a year where many of are players' characters were put into question. He was underrated, undervalued and underused and I am not the least bit suprised he chose to leave. Pierre was never concerned about himself or getting his own shots a trully unselfish player. He always tried to set-up his teammates by either driving through defenders and dishing to teammates, or passing to the open guy. When you pile up a bunch of "me first" basketball players it can tend to build up unhealthy rivalries between players and can drive teams apart (see Kobe and Shaq). (I'm not saying that will be the case with next year's Zags.) But to me Pmac's attitude was a breath of fresh air and he will be missed. I'm sad that we were only able to see flashes of his brilliance on the court and am happy at the hope that he maybe able to shine somewhere else.

RebornZag
04-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I didn't know PMAC personally so I am not attached to him like others here. It is indeed sad though. I remember the first, and only, time I entered K2. My son and I walked by the GU players warming up and I saw this absolutely gorgeous jump shot, and said so to my son. We watched 3 or 4 balls and traced them to the shooter....PMAC. In my opinion he had one of the prettiest shots I've ever seen.

God only knows why he couldn't hit those shots in games, even when wide open. I totally disagree with those who think PMAC didn't get a chance at GU. My God he started his first two years, and again was a starter at the beginning of this year. I got tired of Few saying (in interviews) that PMAC needs to take those wide open shots. I regret the blindness of loyal fans who say Few didn't encourage him enough. Last year that's all he did. It was totally obvious that by this year he had completely lost his confidence.

I respect PMAC for making a very tough decision. His ability to see the reality
of his role on the Zags team, and respond in the best way for the team, says it all I think. And I really respect that. I think that he was able to see the reality, that he was taking up a scholarship that someone, who Could help the Zags, could use.

When it became known that Ira Brown was coming to GU we all began to speculate about what was going to happen because we knew that we were 2 scholarships over our limit. Was Ira going to pay his own way? Was Foster going to play somewhere else? In the beginning I think most of us thought it'd be Foster and Burgess who would leave. But as the season progressed, and we saw Foster save a game for us (and I think saw his real potential), I know I began to think it would be PMAC, and began hoping Foster would stay. And then I heard the good news that G man shared about how good of a player he thought Foster could be. I have always felt the same, and now that G man is working with Will, I am hoping that Will is moving forward toward creating some playing minutes for himself.

I believe the bottom line is that the coaches believe that Daye and Gray will take all the minutes that PMAC would have played (which by the end of the season was between 5-10 minutes a game). All GU fans want to see The Zags improve, and sometimes painful decisions need to be made. I have appreciated all the wonderful things that fans have said about PMAC, and who he is in his character. This is a great example of that kind of character coming forward and doing what (I believe) is needed for the Zags to improve. I hope we all support him and support the coaching staff as well, who had the courage and integrety to do what they believe is best for the team.

GonzagaLove
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
"God only knows why he couldn't hit those shots in games, even when wide open."

MAYBE BECAUSE HE KNEW HE WOULD GET THE HOOK IF HE MISSED.

"I respect PMAC for making a very tough decision."

WHO SAID IT WAS HIS DECISION? WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD A SENIOR WANT TO TRANSFER TO A NEW SCHOOL FOR HIS LAST YEAR?

"I believe the bottom line is that the coaches believe that Daye and Gray will take all the minutes that PMAC would have played (which by the end of the season was between 5-10 minutes a game)."

FOR A COACHING STAFF WHO SEEMED DETERMINED TO REWARD VETERAN PLAYERS (MALLON) WITH PLAYING TIME, EVEN IF BETTER PLAYERS WERE AVAILABLE (DOWNS), THIS SEEMS VERY ODD.

"All GU fans want to see The Zags improve, and sometimes painful decisions need to be made."

NOT ALL GU FANS ARE HAPPY ABOUT THIS. I WOULD GUESS MOST ARE NOT. WE ALL WANT TO SEE THE ZAGS IMPROVE, BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF A PLAYER WHO HAS REPRESENTED AND PERFORMED SO ADMIRABLY FOR OUR SCHOOL. PMAC SHOULD HAVE ENDED HIS CAREER ON SENIOR NIGHT AS A ZAG. GU AND THE COACHING STAFF HAVE FAILED PMAC. IMHO.

GonzagaLove
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
In another thread you say,

"I think if we needed another pt guard Few would have kept PMAC. We already have two Pt guards."

In this thread you say,

"I respect PMAC for making a very tough decision."

So did few cut PMAC, or did he leave on his own? I don't know is an acceptable answer.

RidintheDempster
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I hope the case is not that he was pushed out. I for one will follow his future, and wish him all the best. One of my favorite zags, and that's for sure. In my opinion he never really got the chance to shine. If he would have averaged 30 plus minutes for 3 or 4 consecutive games during this year we probably would not be discussing this right now. We would be considering him as one of our top returning players. Now he doesn't get a senior night, and so we will never know.

Vanzagger
04-17-2007, 09:55 PM
good luck P!

vz

Nevtelen
04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I certainly don't beleive that PMAC was pushed out. Either the staff knew of this decision early on in the year (or at least the possibility of it) or they had other contingincy plans for where the other schollie was going to come from. No way was his hand forced. The staff has stood by players that have been able to contribue much less than PMAC would have (such as, say, Doudney after his injury).

OTOH, I really have never understood the people who say that the staff failed PMAC (there have been others, too, GonzagaLove, I'm not singling you out specifically). The guy was a starter last year and averaged 20 mins a game. He averaged 16 mins a game this year and started for a while. If he had the ability to flourish in GU's system, it would have happened. I have no more idea of why he didn't become a stand-out at GU than the next fan, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the staff psychologically sabotaging him or anything. Maybe he just needs a different system to play to his strengths - somewhere that uses a lot of defensive pressure as well as an up-tempo attack, somewhere he'll be asked to distribute instead of score, which he was clearly never very comfortable with.

Whatever his future holds - another D-I program or overseas ball or whatever - I'll cheer for him.

upan8th
04-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Pierre is graduating in May, isn't he? What's the deal here? Why would he choose to play an additional year when his PT was steadily reduced in the latter part of the previous season? Pro ball in a myriad of venues awaits him next fall. Failing that, his many admirerers in the GU community will exercise their considerable clout to land him at least a game color commentator's gig somewhere in the "Inland Empire" next season, won't they? After PMac's gracing of the March picture in GU's '07 calendar, anything less would be unseemly.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I've had to listen to my wife and sister-in-law telling me just how good looking that kid is for the past couple of years. Kinda grates on a man's ego after a while. In fact, I threatened to shave my head and was told that I have a bony, ugly, angular skinny white-guy head, but if I looked like Pmac I could shave it....man that hurts. Hence, my sparse but still present head of hair - damn you Pmac!

In all seriousness, I wish him the best in life, I have no doubt he'll succeed.

bigblahla
04-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Big Thanks from bigblahla. Good Luck in all you do.
Go!! Zags!!!

thickman1
04-18-2007, 05:19 AM
It really stinks that he's leaving. I remember how excited I was when GU signed him out of Montreal. I couldn't wait until he suited up for the team. When you watch him play free and easy he was a joy to watch. The hard part was whenever he made a mistake - or thought he made a mistake - he was looking toward the bench almost waiting for the hook to pull him off the court. I just don't think he ever meshed with Coach Few.

Pierre exemplifies what GU should be about. A high character guy who did whatever was asked of him on the court and off of it he got his degree. I wish him nothing but success this next year. You can bet that I'll now be following three teams this next season. GU, WSU, and PMAC's U.

Zagheel
04-18-2007, 05:54 AM
...To PMAC from all of Zagheel's friends and family. Like others have stated above, PMAC greatly benefitted the University both on and off the court. Thank you, PMAC, and best of luck in your future journeys.

Couglarz
04-18-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if that's a word but it seems to be a quality big time programs have to possess. Both GU and WSU have two players leave the program and in both cases the coaches (Bennett and Few) state that the players were not forced out. OK, fine, but also in both cases the same head coaches had already offered scholarships to more players than they had available schollies to hand out.

Certainly there had to be some sort of encouragement by Few and Bennett to the players to leave. Or is the position of Few that P-Mac fell on his sword for the betterment of Gonzaga basketball so there was a spot for Gray or Daye? That's a bit much to swallow. .

You can be diplomatic and state you had discussions with all the players about their futures and two of them chose to transfer in the hopes of more playing time of other opportunities.

But to say these decisions to leave are strictly player choices is disingenuous

applezag
04-18-2007, 06:55 AM
I share the sentiment of others and do not feel good about the PMac situation. I wish things could have worked out better on the basketball court for him. However, I disagree with several of the points raised on this thread.

First, PMac worked hard on and off the court and was rewarded with a top notch education--finishing his degree in three years. He was given his scholarship because he was a gifted basketball player out of high school. Basketball players get their way paid because they further the success of the program. I think PMac did this in many ways, but in the end it just didn't work out with him on the court. For whatever reason, he never seemed to conform to what the coaches expected of him. I am not sure exactly what conversations led to his leaving, but I would imagine it was a matter of Few telling him that he was just not going to play next year, and it would probably be best, if he wanted to play, for him to transfer. I am not sure if it came to him getting the boot. Overall, I think GU and PMac are square, even if it doesn't feel good how it ended. He got a great degree in exchange for playing basketball for a great program. GU does not owe PMac anything more.

As for the assertion that the coaching staff failed PMac, I have to disagree. That is not to say that another staff may have found a way to make it work with PMac, but coaching staffs are not going to make it work with every player 100% of the time. Someone said that PMac was afraid to shoot because he'd get pulled if he missed. This was simply not true. PMac got pulled many times for NOT shooting at all. His tentativeness and struggles passing the ball in the half court (especially into the post) were what kept him out of games. The only thing I would criticize the staff on a little, is that if they valued the defensive end a little more they would have tolerated some of these things from PMac because he gave so much on the other end. Surely, we've had plenty of dogs on the defensive end stay on the floor because of their offense over the years.

The one tough question in all of this that I have a hard time answering, though, is this: what does it say when we keep Heytvelt and Theo around but send PMac packing? I don't blame the staff for making the decision that they have made, but when you put those two realities up against one another, it just doesn't look right.

brasszag
04-18-2007, 06:57 AM
OK, fine, but also in both cases the same head coaches had already offered scholarships to more players than they had available schollies to hand out.

Don't discount the possibility that they offered the "extra"schollies because they knew that they would have them available. We're not privy to the discussions PMAC had with Few. As in the Doudney situation, he's shown enough loyalty to his players in the past that I think that it's more in character that he offered the schollies to new guys becuase PMAC (and Burgess presumably) had informed him that they would not be back.

I don't know Bennett, but I would not be surprised if something similar happened there as well.

zagco
04-18-2007, 07:00 AM
I, for one, never felt PMAC was used or developed appropriately. I am also completely mystified by the whole Burgess thing. This does not surprise me a bit. Things have been a mess for awhile, and it appears over the last few months its started shaking out in a very public way.

I am desperately glad we have at least one major coaching change. Other changes are needed, such as having a Jesuit return to the bench. We need to get off our collective high horses and get back to playing basketball like we mean it.

TheZagPhish
04-18-2007, 07:33 AM
My sister-in-law is mad crazy for P-Mac, wanting him to marry her and whatnot. I approached Pierre at one point and told him that his hand was wanted by a cute, smart girl in Seattle. He beamed and said, "I'd have to be CRAZY to marry someone I've never met!"

He has been a gregarious, funny goofball as well as a hard worker, devoted Zag and smooth player. We will certainly miss him.

Au revoir, Pierre! Bonne chance.

Robzagnut
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
>I have no more idea of why he didn't become a stand-out at GU

Great on defense, great in transition, tentative on offense. You can't be tentative in GU's offense. That was his 'kiss of death'. Every year we wondered why he wouldn't shoot more and take charge on offense. The coaches must have been going crazy thinking the same thing. If you don't have confidence in yourself, how can the coaches have confidence in you?

GU is now in serious need of a Point Guard. I hope and pray that nothing happens to Pargo or Bouldin (or both) next year. If Pargo goes pro next year there will be a freshman backing up Bouldin unless Few can find someone in the juco ranks.

Maybe this could be used as a recruiting tool. "Hey kid, you want to play PG for 8-12 minutes next year as a freshman?"

Priority #1 - Point Guard
Priority #2 - Point Guard/Combo Guard

lawzag
04-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Probably my fav P-Mac moment has to be this year's UW game (the steal & the dunk), although he has shown so many flashes of brilliance during the last 3 years that it's hard to pick just one.

From a woman's perspective, I agree with the comments previously made - he is cute & charming & a totally class act. Keep flashing that darlin' smile P-Mac!! ;)

The GU faithful will miss him,:mecry: but I am sure that a young man who has shown his strength of character & the smarts to finish his degree before moving on will be a success no matter what he chooses to do with his future!

gamagin
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
<< zagco wrote : The one tough question in all of this that I have a hard time answering, though, is this: what does it say when we keep Heytvelt and Theo around but send PMac packing? I don't blame the staff for making the decision that they have made, but when you put those two realities up against one another, it just doesn't look right.>>

reality says PMAC and Burgess had one season left and JH and TD have more than that.

PMAC for whatever reasons didn't reach critical mass for this program in the time alotted. Burgess has a health & development problem.

As managers of a 15-man team, there isn't room to continue working with athletes who may need 2-3 more year to get up to speed.

The problems, serious though they may be, with JH and TD, are not about basketball development and time and ability. they are personal. And they are manageable, in theory.

I would add that the only true test of whether this PMAC/Burgess deal is mutual would involve either of these athletes speaking up. Nothing could prevent that if they chose to do so.

few has a really good rep as a straight shooter.

these guys may not like what they heard as reasons Few & co., decided to give up on them, but I am reasonably sure they heard it from him first and have accepted them as facts of life.

In addition, they have options elsewhere with real potential for them. Neither was thrown under the bus, by all indications.

So everyone moves on. That's about as clean as it gets in the business of basketball, as far as I can tell.

jayray
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
PMAC SHOULD HAVE ENDED HIS CAREER ON SENIOR NIGHT AS A ZAG. GU AND THE COACHING STAFF HAVE FAILED PMAC. IMHO.

This is the one thing that was robbed from PMAC. He put in the time and paid the price to get the 'senior privileges' that Few normally shows for all seniors who put in their time. You kinda knew deep down that PMAC would not be given the same respect as past seniors. We all know that senior night is a big deal - and PMAC does not get to experience this. Not going to speculate on anything behind the scenes, I'm sure there is more to this than I know. I will however say the coaching staff really blew it not being able to polish the diamond in the rough they had.

jayray
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
So everyone moves on. That's about as clean as it gets in the business of basketball, as far as I can tell.

Its been stated on this board time and again that these are kids we are dealing with here. This is not business - it is kids in college playing extra-curricular activities.

brasszag
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
This is the one thing that was robbed from PMAC. He put in the time and paid the price to get the 'senior privileges' that Few normally shows for all seniors who put in their time. You kinda knew deep down that PMAC would not be given the same respect as past seniors. We all know that senior night is a big deal - and PMAC does not get to experience this. Not going to speculate on anything behind the scenes, I'm sure there is more to this than I know. I will however say the coaching staff really blew it not being able to polish the diamond in the rough they had.

You seem really willing to jump on Few for a player that clearly (based on what I read in interviews - even in past years - with Few) didn't respond to the staff's coaching in the way they wanted. Why?

PMAC was not robbed by anyone but himself in this. Sad (because he's got a ton of still as yet unrealized potential), but true.

ZagNut08
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
The USF moment was great since I was at the game, and the place errupted.

And like everyone else, the UW game this year...jaw still drops when I see his one step dunk in the key.

Glad he was part of our program...always wish we could have seen his skills fully utilized (although a lot was him not unleashing in)...but best of luck with whatever you do

sonuvazag
04-18-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't feel the urge to be critical of anyone here including those of you expressing your regrets and frustrations.

Something this reminds me of, personally: I had a situation when I was 13 where I couldn't get the play time I wanted on an AAU team. When I did complain/ask for time, things didn't go right. I didn't have the sense of freedom on the court to do of what I was capable. Everyone knew I was better than what was being shown, but no one could explain it.

Finally, I quit and the experience of freedom was overwhelming. The next week I scored a career high 22 points (at the time:D ) as a 7th grader at the 8th grade level for the St. Charles Wildcats. Things kept getting better. I hope the same for PMAC.

Go St. Charles! Go Zags. Go PMAC. Gone but not forgotten.

gamagin
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
<< Jayray: Its been stated on this board time and again that these are kids we are dealing with here. This is not business - it is kids in college playing extra-curricular activities. >>

It hopefully is business with a soul. but please, it's a business.

If you follow the money, it takes a multimillion dollar commitment and continued millions to keep this sport alive -- especially at this level. the Mac center was what, $25M ? NONE of it school or student money, if I recall. All donations and tix sales, corporate sponsorships, tv contracts etc. All business.

there aren't enough bake sales to support this extracurricular activity.

that doesn't excuse, imo, doing things right. honorably. in a christian way, so to speak, and in keeping with the teachings of the jesuits, etc.

right now, I believe that is being done. I hope it continues for a long time.

zaguarxj
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
By graduating in 3 years, PMAC has demonstrated that he has his priorities in the right order. Maybe he didn't shine as brightly on the court as we had hoped, but maybe that's because he made education his first priority. It can't be easy to play Div I hoops and complete your degree in 4 years, let alone 3.

Congratulations on completing your degree, PMAC, and thank you for your contributions to GU hoops. You will be missed.

JAGzag
04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
By graduating in 3 years, PMAC has demonstrated that he has his priorities in the right order. Maybe he didn't shine as brightly on the court as we had hoped, but maybe that's because he made education his first priority. It can't be easy to play Div I hoops and complete your degree in 4 years, let alone 3.

Congratulations on completing your degree, PMAC, and thank you for your contributions to GU hoops. You will be missed.

I'll probably get some heat for this, but how much of this approach do we really want to take/admit. Personally, I agree with the student-athlete perspective, but to say he had his priorities straight in getting a degree in 3, under performing on the court, then leaving early - where would that leave our program? We'd end up sounding bitter like USD in arguing "our athletes graduate" versus our argument of "our athletes can beat up your athletes!"

brasszag
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
How about, he clearly never neglected his studies :-)

I suspect the "under-performing" is a temperament thing - just not quite the right overall chemistry at GU for him to shine as we all wanted him to do. In any case, at the very, very, very least PMAC never jeopardized a season with extracurricular mayhem, or jeopardized GU's number of schollies (ala Fazekas).

In net he did a lot more positive than not in his time at GU.

kylasdad
04-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Holy Crap. If you don't know the situation between Pmac and the Coaches, how in the .... can you rip Few for "Firing Pmac?"

Back off, when and if we hear that there is something deeper than Pmac leaving on his own accord, then resume bashing the people you know nothing about. Maybe they deserve it maybe they don't. Let a little time pass and allow more facts come to the table before you pass judgement. :confused:

TheBeast
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Wish this wasn't happening. I loved watching him play.
I wish him nothing but the best!

MiamiZags
04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
4EVER.. well said.

I must say my favorite moment was in his freshman year:
He made a baseline move and threw it down 2 handed in traffic. So much potential at that point had me rather excited. Good luck PMAC-- loved your game.

skan72
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, and I'm not picking on zaguarxj it's just his post was close at hand, but he didn't actually graduate from university in three years because in Canada he was attending a CEGEP school which is a college, although when transferring out it doesn't count against eligibility and I am not sure why it doesn't, it just doesn't. But he was definitely taking college/university course while at St.Lambert Champlain so he did take the four years of courses that are required, he did not do it in a shortened and highly improbable three years.

Zag79
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
PMAC was not robbed by anyone but himself in this. Sad (because he's got a ton of still as yet unrealized potential), but true

hate to spill the beans brass but few had the programs shortest leash on pmac. he should have played more, period. there is nothing he did or didnt do on the court to receive the treatment he did. especially in comparison to other players. short leash, not the right fit, early exit.

TrueLiz
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I loved his interview after the USF game last year. He was so nonchalant about it, in a good way. He just sounded as if it was something he had to do, but didn't sound egotistical either. I liked the way he went about his business. It's too bad it wasn't working out for him this last year, but I wish him luck wherever he goes.

NJZag
04-19-2007, 11:02 AM
http://preventiontraining.samhsa.gov/cti05/IMG00008.GIF

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/01260/basketball-animation.gif

Favorite game: Lewes, Delaware :000tens:

His future as a Zag was still all ahead of him then. I'll miss him. Best of luck to Pierre, since there's still a lot of future left.

youreachiteach
04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Things will be made clearer at a much later date.

PMac loved everything about Spokane and Gonzaga.

billyberu
04-19-2007, 07:52 PM
My favorite PMAC moment was when I was in Iraq in Dec. of '04 and I was able to catch a glimpse of the game against GA Tech (I think). I was really looking forward to watching himn play, but considering where I was didn't think it was going to happen that year. Well, I was doing a little work 3/7 Cav and they had ESPN on their TV and lo and behold the Zags were on and PMAC was playing. I couldn't stay long as I had a lot of work to do that day, but it was a nice diversion. Thanks PMAC, for your dedication as a Zag! :)

ZigZagSoCal
04-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks Pierre!

SpudDawg
04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Wishing you nothing but the best ...

ZagNative
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Charleston Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/MU+Sports/2007110264)

November 2, 2007
Herd coach has successful men's debut
By Michael Dailey
Daily Mail sportswriter

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall University's men's basketball program ushered in a new era at the Henderson Center on Thursday evening.

Point Pleasant native Donnie Jones began his first stint as a head coach on a winning note by guiding the Thundering Herd to an 84-67 exhibition win over Fairmont State.

But the quiet, steady play of transfer point guard Pierre-Marie Altidor Cespedes was also comforting for the first-year coach.

Altidor Cespedes, a senior transfer from Gonzaga, has practiced with his teammates for less than a month, but his three seasons of extensive varsity playing time were evident against the Falcons.

The 6-foot, 181 pound senior guard, who appeared in 98 games for Gonzaga in the last three years, including 49 starts, began his Thundering Herd career in nearly perfect fashion.

The 23-year old, Montreal native, made Jones very happy with no turnovers in 38 minutes of play.

For good measure, Altidor Cespedes added eight points, four assists and three rebounds.

Not bad for a guy trying to relearn the point guard position after three seasons a two guard with the Bulldogs.

"That's experience," said Jones of Altidor Cespedes' play. "Here's a young man who played the two spot the last three years at a very high level. Now we're trying to convert him back to a point guard. That's kind of what he was coming out of high school.

"He doesn't get rattled by the crowd and he knows how to fight fatigue when he's tired. When things aren't going well, he pushes through it and encourages the others to do the same. That's what experience does.

"He's a competitor and a traffic controller. He's in there running the show and he's just like an extension of me on the floor. He understands tempo, he understands defending and he understands drawing up a play at halftime and how to run it."

And against the Falcons, Altidor Cespedes also showed that he's not too shabby with regard to halftime defensive adjustments either.

After JUCO transfer Thad McFadden lit up Marshall for 17 points, including 5-of-9 shooting from 3-point range in the first half, Altidor Cespedes clamped down defensively, allowing McFadden no 3-point attempts in the second half.

"That's impressive, right there," said Dorris.

"Pierre played really hard tonight and on defense he really stepped up. Number 12 (McFadden) was killing us in the first half, but he did a pretty decent job on him in the second half.

"To play defense like he did and still handle and run the offense, that's pretty impressive."

Fairmont State point guard Ronnie Means was also impressed with Altidor Cespedes.

"I think he's a good point guard," said Means, a former South Charleston High standout. "He basically runs the team well and doesn't make mistakes. He makes sure that all the other guys are in the right spots. That's what it looked like to me.

"He just gets the job done and gets everybody else playing hard."

Wishing Pierre great fun and success at Marshall this year. Looks like they love him to death.

TheZagPhish
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Viva Pierre! That man was quick and could play a shaggy defense. I am so excited for him. Knock 'em dead, PMAC!

SWZag
11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow, thanks greatly for sharing. I've always liked P-MAC and I'm estatic to see him do well, albeit not for the Zags, but I'm glad to see him get his break! The things in the article, about defense, etc, are things we already knew about P-MAC, and others are starting to find out what a great player he really is. Best of luck to him in the future games, we'll be watching.

SWZag

gamagin
11-02-2007, 10:50 AM
the GU program. Thanks for posting.

Imagine being a coach looking at getting a GU transfer. Plus PMac gets to put all his talent on display in a position he wasn't going to play at GU.

win-win.

D Hark 2003
11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
thats great! I love to hear about GU alums doing well! Good luck Herd!

Pure
11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Great News.... Thanks for the post

DoggieDogpound
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
The article says he played the 2 guard for 3 seasons as a Zag - I thought he was more of a point guard his first 2 years, with Errol Knight the 2 guard.

Anyway, glad to hear he is off to a good start this year.

spokane86
11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
man i miss this guy. he was one of the most calm, composed zags i can remember in recent history. i'm happy for him.

lawzag
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Way to go P-Mac!:D
Hope you & the Herd have an incredible season this year!
Good to hear you are getting your opportunity to shine.

Ziggy
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Still don't fully understand what brokedown between him and Few, given how well he played on the Morrison/Batiste team. One of my favorite Latter Day Zags. Glad to see he persevered!

ROOFnZAG
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Since P.MAC was my favorite player for the past 3 years, I was not happy when he decided to transfer, but he had his reasons and I understood them. I am so glad to hear he's doing well and am looking forward to following his success this season...

he was always fun on campus too, complaining every time he saw me wearing my Duke clothes...haha...a great guy

sonuvazag
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
he was always fun on campus too, complaining every time he saw me wearing my Duke clothes...haha...a great guy

I would like to complain about you wearing Duke clothes right now.;)

Dogtownkid
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
A real thrill to read about his doing so well at Marshall. Way to go, PMAC!

TheZagPhish
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Still don't fully understand what brokedown between him and Few, given how well he played on the Morrison/Batiste team.

Much of the frustration between Few and P-Mac was exaggerated. There was a lot of respect there. Pierre's egress was a thoughtful decision all around.

jigga5
11-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Pierre got pushed out simple as that. I know people who know his coach at Champlian St Lambert and I gather this from very credible sources. So think what you want people. It was a ##### move imo since he gave three years of his life to this program and few didnt want him around for his senior season. what happend to Loyality?

Nevtelen
11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Pierre got pushed out simple as that. I know people who know his coach at Champlian St Lambert and I gather this from very credible sources. So think what you want people. It was a ##### move imo since he gave three years of his life to this program and few didnt want him around for his senior season. what happend to Loyality?

From the Athlon season preview:

Quote:
“Losing Pierre hurts,” Few said. “He would have been another senior we could have turned to for leadership. But I like the guys we have coming back, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what the new kids can do.”

I'm glad to see PMAC doing well. He'll certainly have all the PT he wants and then some this year. I'm really glad to see him taking advantage of it! it sounds like he's going to be the calm, collected eye of the storm for a new-look Herd squad this year.

J-Lo
11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
That's terrific to hear. Glad our own version of Mos Def is doing well and earning some well-deserved accolades.

gamagin
11-02-2007, 07:35 PM
while I laud your loyalty to PMac, don't you think it worked out for the best for him ?

I mean he's a star, in a position he wanted on a team that exploits and wants his particular talents.

With all due respect, he wasn't going to get that kind of attention and PT from GU, whether it was Few's mistake or not, no ?

So what is your problem? Fwiw, I watched PMac without any preconceptions and felt he could have been among the best there was.

Except he too often seemed out of control. I don't know whether it was high expectations or just what brought it all on. All I know is he fell out of favor with Few. Or so it seemed.

I don't think he was mistreated, as you allude, or even mishandled. I do think he fell out of favor, BUT it wasn't as though either PMac or GU was tap dancing around each other's discontent.

I think they addressed it head on and agreed to move on.

And that's what happened.

I find it disconcerting to keep seeing you and others insinuate he somehow got short shrift.

I've never see it from him. I've never heard it generally at all. Except from you.

Perhaps you could enlighten us if that is the case.

thanks,

jigga5
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
while I laud your loyalty to PMac, don't you think it worked out for the best for him ?

I mean he's a star, in a position he wanted on a team that exploits and wants his particular talents.

With all due respect, he wasn't going to get that kind of attention and PT from GU, whether it was Few's mistake or not, no ?

So what is your problem? Fwiw, I watched PMac without any preconceptions and felt he could have been among the best there was.

Except he too often seemed out of control. I don't know whether it was high expectations or just what brought it all on. All I know is he fell out of favor with Few. Or so it seemed.

I don't think he was mistreated, as you allude, or even mishandled. I do think he fell out of favor, BUT it wasn't as though either PMac or GU was tap dancing around each other's discontent.

I think they addressed it head on and agreed to move on.

And that's what happened.

I find it disconcerting to keep seeing you and others insinuate he somehow got short shrift.

I've never see it from him. I've never heard it generally at all. Except from you.

Perhaps you could enlighten us if that is the case.

thanks,

Im jus saying what I have heard and I do think it worked out for PMAC. But one thing I do not know for sure is whether PMAC would have transferred on his OWN. DID he want to leave for his senior season???? Did he want to leave his teammates, classmates /friends that he spent threee years with?? Or did he come to an "agreement" with few to move on ( aka few approached him and basically told him there was no room)?

Anyways I hope PMAC somehow blows up and makes the NBA, I know it is a longshot, but it would be great to see fews reaction. Priceless.

BTW I think few is a good coach, but if he really did force PMAC out like its speculated then I think what he did was wrong. And there is really no point in us fans covering up what happend with all this " Yea PMAC decided to leave on his own etc...". Every coach can make mistakes, and this may have been one few made. Maybe not a mistake in the sense of hurting the team, but a mistake to a loyal student athlete who gave his blood sweat and tears for Few the last three years. Good kid, never got in trouble.

Birddog
11-03-2007, 03:28 AM
BTW I think few is a good coach, but if he really did force PMAC out like its speculated then I think what he did was wrong. And there is really no point in us fans covering up what happend with all this

And what purpose is served bringing up idle speculation about PMAC all the time? Do you live on a grassy knoll?

Birddog

gamagin
11-03-2007, 07:13 AM
<< Im jus saying what I have heard >>

Well, I have heard PMac is doing really well, playing the position he wanted to play, leading his new team, impressing his new coach and and will be just fine.

Fwiw, I predict there will be more players who don't or won't fit into the GU system -- especially with the caliber of recruits showing up. You can't chose everyone and you can't please everyone. and yes, there will even be mistakes.

I don't think it will be personal. I think there will be judgement calls.

Few et al have to not only manage players but everyone's expectations as well, so there are bound to be disagreements.

However, to impugn a person's reputation, or try to, vis a vis hearsay, seems unfair to me.

Otoh, if I were PMac, I would be happy that I had such a loyal fan as you in my corner.

tyra
11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
I think Gamagin may be suggesting that this may not be the last upper classmen "adjustment" we see the team make in the "few" years ahead. Agreed. As GU's program continues to elevate, it will be overbooking the flight. It is inevitable. And it seems doubtful that all those players will want to ride the pine when things don't work out (they never get the system no matter how hard they work; a young gun comes in and simply outplays them, etc). As big a fan as I am of PMac, this seems more like a case of how we would like it to work out -- not an example of how we don't like it. Go PMac.

MDABE80
11-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Birdmeister is right. To what purpose are we recycling some topic that has no future and an unclear past. NO solution in sight either. Since we really cannot know the details AND because there is no foundation for solid comment........"I
'm jus(t) sayin" type stuff really have a limited future (or at least it should) on this.

Who couldn't love Tyra's succinct evaluation of the recruiting future. lol. Overbooking the flight...... is never desirable but it seems to happen as a common finding these days. We hate it, it makes us angry and somebody should pay a penalty for it. Just perfect.;) Good one Tyra!!

jigga5
11-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Bottom line is that I am happy for PMAC now, and hopefully he does big things at Marshall. Lets leave it at that i guess.