PDA

View Full Version : Do the Zags have an advantage...?

kylasdad
02-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I know that nobody wanted JH to do what he did and that in no way are the zags better without him. But, with the emergence of Downs, and their newer style of play (smaller, more aggressive D, etc.) do you think the zags may have an advantage for any of these reasons:

-team has something to prove
-other teams in NCAA/NIT(please no!!) don't have much film on newer zags
-team has "nothing to lose" mentality
-OTHERS??

sanfranzagsguy20
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
i think the one advantage they could have IF they make the ncaa tournament is being a lower seed than they have been accustomed to....they could sneak up on a couple of higher seeds, although i dont think that it would be much of a surprise to people because it is gonzaga...

personally i feel this team has everything to lose, esepcially after winning the regular season conference title...we are the number one seed in our conference tourney so to me i think the last type of mentality that this team would have is a "we have nothing to lose" type. maybe if they make the dance then we can start to talk about that kind of thinking...sunday and hopefully monday we have everything to lose

conversely i agree that this team has something to prove NATIONALLY because we have been thrown under the bus (deservedly so) because of some bad losses...combined with the fact that we absolutely HAVE to win the wcc tournament i think the zags can take that chip on their shoulder in terms of national respect and use it to their advantage...

the team we're putting on the court seems like it is tough to game plan for...but its not like any of the teams we are going to see from here on out aren't going to have a clue as to how to play us...you don't need a season's worth of tape to map out an effective game plan imo

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
An advantage? I've never been one to believe in the theory that a team can get better by losing one of its better players. Sure circumstances change. But they do so for various reasons. I don't recall anyone saying GU had an advantage after losing to SCU or Memphis. But now that GU has won three games against UP (RPI 278), USF (RPI 156) and USD (RPI 186), some are saying there is an advantage?

Don't get me wrong: I love the way this team is coming together and stepping up when facing adversity. I just can't see how one thinks this could be an advantage.

bigblahla
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I think this new version of the Zags would be hard to game plan for. Take Mallon out of the equation and we have a very athletic and mobile group on the floor regardless of the combination. All can score. Most teams we face will have a hard time matching up.

This current version can be an offensive juggernaut, who do you double team and if you don't we have very capable players with the ability to take their man off of the dribble.

What will cause this version the most problems will be the slow methodical pound it inside team but they still have to outscore us and that my friends may be a problem for most.

Go!! Zags!!!

kylasdad
02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Uber,

I never said it was an advantage to have lost Josh, I said the contrary. I cant imagine how great he would be doing right now if he could be in the mix w/o problems. I would take that in a heartbeat. Nor am i saying that because GU has won a couple of games against low-grade teams that they are gonna win it all. I am simply asking from this point forward, what are some of the positives they have on their side.

p.s. I would be ecstatic about a visit to the sweet 16. I also think with a little luck in the seeding matchups (assuming we take care of the next 2 games) I think that is a real possibility.

GPZagFan
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I have to agree with sanfranzagsguy20 - I have relatives back east that are college hoops fans (Tarheel fans - bleh), and the GU perception that many have - unfortunately - is clouded by big losses and run-in's with Johnny Law. That, combined with the fact that taking the WCC wasn't a walk in the park by any means, I believe we have everything to prove...and why shouldn't that mentality carry us wherever we shall end up, even the dance? It's not a bad mentality to have. Guys are playing hard, playing through adversity, and they seem to be having fun doing so...sounds like a winning combination to me.

RebornZag
02-28-2007, 07:38 AM
The easiest thing in life is to be a loser: to think like, to speak like and to act like a loser. It's extremely more challenging and far tougher to be a winner. It's easy to quit, and give up. The toughest thing in life is to not quit....no matter what!!! My mom taught me that as a kid, and she had to remind me when I was 30 years old and wanted to quit the slow pitch team I was playing for in Bellingham....things weren't going well at the time...And she said, again, "No son of mine will ever quit anything." She MADE me stick it out (at 30 yrs of age)....and dang she was right again...We ended up State Champions!!!!

Don't let other's make you feel bad for being a winner; for speaking like a winner, thinking like a winner and acting like a winner above all. Losers always want to pull winners down to their level of thinking....Don't let them.

This years Zags reminds me of that once again. Never give up!!! No matter what!!! No matter what odds are against us....I'm learning once again why I love being a part of Zagdom...It's a great feeling to be a Zag!!!

Rubbadub
02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
The one good thing that would come out of the zags not making the tournament...i'd make MUCH better predictions for our tourny pool :o