PDA

View Full Version : Never leave out the Red-Head!

HillBillyZag
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Like everyone else I was in awe of the the way the kids took it to SDU. While theres no doubt last night that Micah, Kuso, and Jeremy our own ("Tasmanian Devil") were the cocktail, the straw that stirred the drink was "the Brewster Battler." I never tire of watching this kid play, its flank speed, "damn the torpedos" every second he is on the court.He might be grabbing a rebound, making a pass, cutting to the basket, or scoring, but in addition he is rubbing Kuso's head, giving Micah a pat on the rear, or a hug for Drav, what a young man. 110% is the only way he knows how to play. If it were up to me to vote an MVT (most valuable team-mate) I'd have to go with Pendo. With all the big time recruits and up-graded skills coming into the program if it ever gets to the point where kids like David arn't on the squad, the program and we fans will be the less for it.

tobizag
02-27-2007, 11:30 AM
great post hillbilly...

David is my favorite Zag. His determination, grit, and courage are astounding. He plays a multitude of positions, and always fills in where we need help the most. If he has to, he'll score 15 or 0. Whatever is asked and needed of him. Great player.

bigblahla
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree, Pendo is the MVT.

Go!! Zags!!!

brasszag
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I think he's also showing of late that he's not just a maniac glue guy, but can be a clutch scorer when the pressure's on - clearly a tremendously tough athlete to give his body the abuse he takes and keeps on coming back to keep on leaping for those stray balls...

jazzdelmar
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Pendo is The Quintessential Zag

brasszag
02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Pendo is The Quintessential Zag

Physical skills - check

Team-centered attitude - check

Hustle - check

Love of the game - check

Constant improvement - check

Yep - I'll agree with you. :) That's 110% Gonzaga Bulldog.

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with the MVT tag. 110%.

McZag
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
If I could bottle the stuff DP is made of I'd be retired by now. Heart, Guts, Work Ethic, Drive......the list goes on and on. His attitude and approach to the game are truly inspiring. He is the type of guy you can point to and say, "that's how to play basketball."

Lurknomore
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Yep, Pendo is awesome. He is truly what being a Zag is about.

Nevtelen
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
He has been an absolute rock down the stretch for the team. He was huge before, but we weren't forced to lean on his play so heavily. The team has just kept leanin' on him to keep from falling over and he's just kept supporting them... Like they always say about Hansbrough, Pendo gives the mythical 110% every trip down the floor. And on the bench.

GPZagFan
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm always trying to recruit non-college hoops fans or non-Zag fans to watch games with my buddies and I, and, kid you not, on several occasions when someone has come with us, they always ask "who's that guy" - in reference to Pendo. Incredible hustle, very clutch, and his likeability factor is second to none. I don't know how many times he's stepped in to drain a three or muscle his way into the blocks for us. His game makes me smile, but the fact that I don't give him enough props makes me frown. Thanks for the constant reminders, boardees.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share the "who's that guy" comment, because I've never stopped to think about how often it's come up.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Being from Pendo Country we all wish we knew him well. From were I sit on the couch, I can hear everyone say quietly, "David !!!" whenever he scores, rebounds or dives for a loose ball. Hopefully not the last of his breed at Zaga.

Nevtelen
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
The play this year that, for me, sums up Pendo was when he came in cold off the bench to knock down those 2 free throws for Mallon when he got poked in the eye. He just came in to a tough situation and did as asked, no problem at all.

CDC84
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Iíll never forget a discussion that took place on the Kentucky scout.com board where a bunch of UK fans were talking about Pendo and how good he would be as a Wildcat in Tubby Smithís system.

Heís one of those players that seems to earn the respect of almost every observer that sees him play.

former1dog
02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Has there ever been this much consensus on any player?

Even the haters don't have a bad word to say about Pendo!

:D

HillBillyZag
02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the great responses All! I am unabashedly a HUGE Pendo fan. Anyone who has played and/or loved the game of basketball knows what David brings. CDC, you seem to follow UK hoops, I think their version of Pendo was Deron Feldhaus and yes they would love David in Rupp, I think he may have more offensive skill than Feldhaus did. And Pargo gets me wound up as well, that spin move and when he hustles up the floor gave me the idea of the "Tasmanian Devil" moniker, I think it fits Jeremy to a tee. I call Micah "Slick" because he makes it look so easy. And I lovingly and respectfully call Sean M ("Truck") but he gets it done too. I also hope Josh realizes the kind of guys he has around him and blends some of Pendo's heart with his skills when he returns, as I believe he will. Man, I can't believe it, Daye, Gray, Sacre, coming in this summer, the guys we have returning, its just a GREAT time to be a Zag fan. I just feel a final four coming in the near future!

GPZagFan
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Man, this thread rocks. I hope David himself realizes the fanbase he has, and can read the appreciation he deserves. It's got to be enough to make him pumped up to help lead the Zags to the WCC Championship. Go Pendo!

rawkmandale
02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
When Pendo is in the game, I just watch him the entire time. Sure, I'll glance at whoever is putting a shot up, or making a steal, but normally I'll watch David position himself and do his thing. Much of his success is about his skill at positioning, and his great anticipation. He also is "heady" about the clock, etc. Obviously - he is a very encouraging teammate.

I predicted on "the other board" a year or two ago that, when David's career is over, he will be one of the most beloved Zags EVER. I pray he will get a "spotlight moment" somewhere down the road, much like his alter ego (if I may be allowed make that comparison), Edgar Martinez did with "the double."

former1dog
02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I pray he will get a "spotlight moment" somewhere down the road, much like his alter ego (if I may be allowed make that comparison), Edgar Martinez did with "the double."

I apologize for my ignorance. Would you please elaborate?

Oregon Zag
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Physical skills - check

Team-centered attitude - check

Hustle - check

Love of the game - check

Constant improvement - check

Yep - I'll agree with you. :) That's 110% Gonzaga Bulldog.

I was privileged to be able to speak briefly with Pendo after the SD game in Spokane and tell him how much we love watching him play. He said, "I'm a little small". I told him it really didn't look like that when he played and that we love his hustle. Still do. With that drive, he'll do well in life not just on the team.

rawkmandale
02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
"The Double" was hit by Edgar Martinez in the deciding game between the Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees in the 1995 Divisional playoffs in Seattle. It was hit in the ninth inning with the Mariners trailing - down the left field line, scoring Joey Cora from third and Ken Griffey Jr. all the way from first base for the winning run - the greatest play in the 30 year history of the Seattle Mariners, and in one of the "classic series" in the history of baseball, as Seattle had to win three consecutive games from the Yankees to avoid elimination and advance.

Edgar was a classic "quiet good guy," who always gave everything he had, and was humble and considerate. The annual American League "Designated Hitter" Award was named after Edgar, in recognition of his talents and his personal qualities. A street leading to Safeco Field was named after Edgar. He still lives in the Seattle area with his wife and three young children.

sullyzag66
02-27-2007, 02:01 PM
It was "the double" that saved baseball in Seattle.

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Edgar was a classic "quiet good guy," who always gave everything he had, and was humble and considerate.

I understood what you were saying and I like the comparison, especially when thinking of "heart." But really, in addition to what I quoted, the comparison ends there. As much I as I love watching Pendo play, he's closer to a Blowers than an Edgar. Afterall, Edgar is arguably the best right handed hitter of the 90s (probably top 10 righty all-time) and the best DH ever. Pendo is a very good college basketball player.

If Pendo was to have a "double" moment it would be better compared to Brosius homer in the WS. But then again, I know how none of us like to use Yanks for comparisons.

john montana
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
pendo is great. i've loved watching him play since his first game. how much fun would it be to play with this guy?

rawkmandale
02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I certainly don't disagree with you, UberZagFan, as Edgar became a great star, and tops in his field. I "compared" them mainly because I like them as people so much. But the point was more about having "an Edgar moment" than "being like Edgar."

I don't expect David to be a national star, but, with a full season left, I hope he can end up being one of THE GREATEST ZAGS EVER in the minds of us Gonzaga fans.

Akzag
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
My first child's name shall be Ak Pendo Zag.

I too, have wished that he could be in the spotlight for that one moment, or be the go to scorer. Because I want him to have that glory.

But then I guess I realized that what makes David so endearing is that his defining moments are diving on the floor to save one possession at a time, having his arms all bruised up at the end of game for battling for every rebound, whether gained or lost.

He will never have a tomahawk dunk shown on ESPN, but every team needs and wants a Pendo. Enjoy him while we have him.

GPZagFan
02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
A quiet man, but far from a quiet player - for a while, his bat was the only one doing the talking in Seattle...man, I loved watching that guy. I was at Edgar's final game in Seattle, one of my favorite moments of all time.

Wolkster
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
>Edgar was a classic "quiet good guy," who always gave everything he had, and was humble and considerate. The annual American League "Designated Hitter" Award was named after Edgar, in recognition of his talents and his personal qualities.

Back during the Mariners run I was at a convention on the east coast and was having dinner with two Yankee fans. I commented how Jay Buhner always had big games against his former team. One guy said, "Who cares about Buhner, Edgar Martinez scares us to death."

I noticed last night how the Zags started to waffle again in the 2nd half and it looked like SD was going to make a run. Pendo gets the ball at the top of the key, puts his head down, drives the lane and scores. Like he is telling his teammates, "It stops here and now."

Zag84
02-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Pendo is a favorite player. He gives his all when is on the floor. He's a winner. And, on the sidelines he's always shown encouraging and pumping up his teammates.

Zags4life
02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I will be interested to hear from those who have been to many Senior Nights over the years whether any Zag in recent memory has received a more enthusiastic ovation than Pendo will get next year.

RebornZag
02-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I first saw Pendo his Junior year at the State 2A basketball tournament in Yakima. Saw him two seperate times the next year, again at the state tournament. Brewster won both. Pendo's Senior year the Brewster team was traveling around the state playing some very good 4A and 3A schools. I saw them in Yakima playing West Valley who had Andrew Strait. It was a great matchup. Sundome in Yakima was packed. Pendo was quite a star in this wonderful basketball state. The thing I liked about him, even back then, was his passing. Passing to me is what seperates the players, and David was so very good. Total court awareness and passes were like bullets.

I think David is a star already. He's just not a BRIGHT ONE....And I will not be surprised to see him play in the NBA. He's another Kurt Rambis. There's always room on a roster for someone like Pendo. Look for him to become a steady scorer because he already is. Steady is his name. His shooting percentage is I believe the highest on the team. One final thought. The biggest shots, and loudest cheers in the Spokane arena the day we played Memphis I believe were a couple of the 3's that David made. And his defense, especially on Dorsey was really kool. As you may know, I call him The Gladiator.

siliconzag
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
is also my favorite Zag. I remember a few years ago a buddy of mine from work showing me the Bootleg (Stanford's) Message Board. It was a bit on Pendo being an ideal prospect for Stanford. Anyway, the response was funny. Somebody wrote in that "the Zaggies are all over him, we haven't got a chance." That was of course in the Montgomery hey day. I knew our program had arrived when I saw that and so did my buddy. He argued that because he had red hair, he should have been a Cardinal.

I have felt for two years now that he doesn't get enough PT. What he does cannot be easily measured in points or rebounds, assists, etc. He is a Zag for All Seasons. Whattaguy.

Sili

tyra
02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
My brother in law, FoneBone, and I were talking about last night's game (between the giggles) and he told me how surprised he was when Pendo missed a Three last night. "Funny," I said, "We've become so used to his scoring of late, it surprises us when he misses at all!" What a testament! What a young man!

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Bump Bump Bump

ereiz03
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
"Like everyone else I was in awe of the the way the kids took it to SDU."

What's SDU?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
And I will not be surprised to see him play in the NBA. He's another Kurt Rambis. There's always room on a roster for someone like Pendo.

I love the guy too Reborn but, in my opinion, you're getting a bit punchy from drinking too much of the kool-aid being served on this thread ;)

Nevtelen
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Pendo puts me in mind of the tag used by ZagPhish (or until recently) - "He is able who thinks he is able." - Buddha. Isn't that just Pendo to a T?

fedwayzag
02-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I always get a huge smile on my face when Pendo does his thing. I'm from a small town near Brewster. A well respected "basketball" guy in town said Pendo would be lucky to play for Gonzaga. He was surprised he received a scholarship. Well, after playing alot as a freshmen and getting better every yr Pendo has proved him wrong. In fact, I'm going to have my mom ask the "basketball" guy what he thinks now!!!!!!!

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
If only more posters on this board could give half the effort that Pendo does night in and night out.

Jabber
02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife would probably leave me for Pendo. On a serious note, every high school coach should take video of Pendo and use it as an example of what a team player, leader, huslter or whatever should be. A terrific role model on the court and I strongly suspect even better off of the court!

Re: Edgar. Simply the best. He was a decent 3rd baseman until his wheels failed him early in his career. He will be eligible for the Hall of Fame in a couple of years and I know a very infuential voting sports writer that will be voting for him.

gamagin
02-28-2007, 06:18 AM
. . . is everyman. Yet he is extraordinary. Smart.

Too slow, yet try and beat him to the ball and he seems suddenly fast enough. Too short, yet try and get a rebound from him or get in position when he's near and he seems taller. Luckier ?

Whenever I thought I had him pegged (too often it turns out), he fooled me. I suspect he's made a career out of making fools of doubters.

Pendo is a fellow who has seldom shot since high school, but is a shooter.

There is no position he won't try and there is no position where he won't produce. You can't break him and he doesn't fold. ever.

I don't think even now there is an opponent who looks at Pendo and doesn't believe he can beat him. It's the nature of any good competitor. He has to think that way. Whatever happened last time was a fluke.

I've found myself watching Pendo against allegedly better players and wondering if he hasn't reached his match, and more, over and over.

But then the game starts and that opponent I figured was going to school this farmboy doesn't know what's hitting him. Or how to deal with him. Or how to beat him.

Pendo treats them like rented mules and then returns to shake their hands at the end. He smiles.

The respect is genuine. It is mutual.

hondo
02-28-2007, 07:04 AM
That was beautiful and it hit the nail on the head. Pendo is what Zag ball is all about.

RebornZag
02-28-2007, 07:14 AM
GonzagasaurusFlex: Have you EVER had any real fun in your life, or are you always this serious!!!:eek:

Odd you should mention Kool Aid though...it was my favorite drink as a kid!!! And somewhere I heard that the greatest thing about Athletics is that it gives us ALL (well at least those who want it) a chance to be a kid again, for maybe just a little while longer!!! Please...don't ruin it!!!!! Victory is intoxicating...why do you think we all love it? And dang...Conference Champions???? It feels like a bender!!!!:D

I bet you didn't believe we could be conference champs either, did you?:eek:

:D just kidding ya, GonzagasaurusFlex......Peace!!!

former1dog
02-28-2007, 07:18 AM
That was beautiful and it hit the nail on the head. Pendo is what Zag ball is all about.

Gamagin, for my money the MVP... Most Valuable Poster... :D

GPZagFan
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Excellent post, Gamagin! A blast to read!

Zag79
02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
glad to see pendo get more time. it allows him to show off his shooting touch, which many peopel are surprised by. this kid can fill it up given the shots. from 12 feet hes automatic.