PDA

View Full Version : Majerus In Trouble

Ziggy
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Rick Majerus is in trouble with at least one agent of the Church, RC archbishop Raymund Burke is condemning Rick for expressing his opinion on
abortion: i.e. pro-choice. The archbishop wants St Louis U to take "appropriate action" against Majerus who expressed his view as a private American citizen
not at a basketball game as a rep of the U. This is the same archbishop who said he would deny communion to John Kerry for his stand on abortion rights during the last election. Also condemed Sheryl Crow for her views.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I have no problem with any of that. If you say that you're going to belong to a church and adhere to it's tenents then you adhere to all of them, not just the one's that you like. This isn't a spiritual buffet, pick the beliefs that you agree with, discard those that you don't. I swear, people have become a bunch of whiny ####ies. Not you Ziggy, just venting. :)

By the way this should probably be on the other forum.

Zag 77
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Remember he referred to Derek Raivio as "Ravioli."

He worked as head coach at Marquette years ago, so he ought to understand the principle at work here. It is one thing to privately shoot your mouth off over a beer and a plate (very big in his case) of pasta. You have no right to publicly take issue with a fundamental charter principle of your employer and publicly embarass them. That is being dishonest with the people who gave you a job and had every right to expect you would follow their charter and long-held doctrines of the Catholic Church.

He darned well knew that when he took the job at St. Louis. If he wants to shoot his fat mouth off, that is fine. However, he accepted limitations on his right to free speech when he took the job. Otherwise, he need not have accepted that particular job.

Zag 77
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Burke and Majerus:

http://romancatholicblog.typepad.com/

Ziggy
01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
My opinion is that Burke cloaks an extreme right-wing agenda behind his Catholicism. Just my opinion.

RenoZag
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Sports Illustrated subscribers were given an in-depth profile of Majerus in last week's issue that probably left a bad taste in SLU's collective mouth.

STORY LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/01/16/majerus0121/index.html)

But then, consider this: Of the 80 recruits Majerus signed with the Utes, only 33 survived to play as seniors. Nearly 59% of them transferred or otherwise left early, most unable or unwilling to meet Majerus's exacting standards or endure his mercurial, sometimes crude, even cruel behavior. And some who stayed considered bolting too. By Christmas of his freshman year, 1996, Mottola had scribbled himself this note: This is beyond what I can handle. For the next three years his stomach lurched each time he saw Majerus step onto the court.

Last October, after the coach started drilling his new team at Saint Louis, Mottola felt pity for the players. "I would love to be there to see those Saint Louis guys," he said from his home in Greece, "who have no clue what's hit them."

If they had spoken to any of his former Utes, Majerus's new players might know that he regularly called his players a vile word for the female sexual organ. That he lambasted stars and backups alike and wasn't averse to poking them in their chests. That he once brought Van Horn to tears after catching him looking at his stats after a loss to archrival Brigham Young. That during the 2001-02 season Majerus reportedly called Lance Allred, a backup center who was 75% deaf, "a disgrace to cripples" who had "weaseled [his] way through life using [his poor] hearing as an excuse."

Zag 77
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Ziggy,

The one thing Archbishop Burke is guilty of is not being Politically Correct. Unlike a lot of American bishops, he is not willing to go along to get along with the liberal media.

The Catholic Church has some basic standards. Unfortunately for American Catholics, it is not like Burger King where you get to pick and choose what you like.

Its not like they snuck this up on anybody the day before yesterday.

There are lots of faiths where you can just go and have good, fuzzy, warm feelings and not be bothered with such inconveniences as obligation, sin, evil, redemption, poverty and injustice. The Yellow pages must have 20 pages full of all sorts of churches catering to whatever you like and fulfills one's needs.

Ziggy
01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Zag 77
Not all Catholics have an extreme right-wing agenda and are still good catholics regardless of the edicts of the church. Burke seems to enjoy the media attention his attacks bring him and does not seem to like to see intermingling with Democrats. The Catholic hierarchy has been picking and choosing at the table of beliefs for a millenia or two. Also, there are many varieties of PC, it just depends upon which camp your in. Just my learned opinion.

sittingon50
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Free speech, political correctness,liberal media (:lmao: ) democrats; damn (is it O.K. to say that?) why can't I just live in a country where the elite take care of everything for me, no questions asked. Oh wait......

zeeehjee
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
My opinion is that Burke cloaks an extreme right-wing agenda behind his Catholicism. Just my opinion.

Well keep in mind that the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion is a heck of a lot older than Current definitions of "right-wing" (not to mention, Rick Majerus or this country).

From Chapter 2 of the Didache (written in the first century):

And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft, you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born. You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

(http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html)

Birddog
01-25-2008, 04:48 AM
How do you feel about a Catholic Jesuit University hosting a pro-choice Dem Presidential Candidate's rally and then awarding him a Zag jersey?

Birddog

Zag 77
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Dear Birddog:

Not happy about that either. Jesuits as a whole don't get the message:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MjMyMWI5MTdjYzViMTJmMmNhMWMwMDA1YzM2NzdlODA=

zeeehjee
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Dear Birddog:

Not happy about that either. Jesuits as a whole don't get the message:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MjMyMWI5MTdjYzViMTJmMmNhMWMwMDA1YzM2NzdlODA=

Good article Zag77.