PDA

View Full Version : "Beat Gonzaga" Shirts

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
If GU ever prints up "Beat (insert any team name here)" shirts, then we should consider it a basketball apocalypse and the end of the world as we know it. I'll have no option but to tear up my Bulldog Club card.

So what do those USD (and SMC, USF, etc.) fans with the shirts do with them after they've lost? Wear them around as lasting testament to futility?

sharpzag
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
How about some shirts that say:

"You Can't Beat Gonzaga" ... with GU's record against WCC teams the past 8 years on the back.

beatProgram
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!

"lasting testament to futility"

Priceless.

Asotin
02-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Why in the world would you taunt an opposing team by yelling "NIT, NIT" when your own team has no shot at any tourney? That one has always baffled me.

adoptedzag
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I think the kennel club should make shirts that say "You wish you could" on the front and " Be At Gonzaga". on the back. Kinda a double meaning thing.

tobizag
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
The chant that always gets me is when some team has a transfer, the opposing fans chant (Insert previous team's conference here) "________ Reject!" Example: The KC chanted this at someone who a few years ago had transferred from a Pac-10 school. Yet at the same time we had enjoyed the fruits of similar transfers such as Dan Dickau and Errol Knight.

Last night they were chanting "Big 12 Reject" at Micah. Doesn't make sense. Especially since Santa Clara seems to enjoy the doings of their own tranfers in Josh Higgins and Danny Pariseau.

Asotin
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Tobi that one, to me, at least makes some sense. I mean really quite a few (not all) of the guys that transfer into the WCC from larger schools do it because they weren't good enough to play at those schools. I am not agreeing with the chant but at least it has some merit. But the NIT thing? Most of these teams would die to make it to NIT this year.

jazzdelmar
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
........will be usuable for years to come.....

LongIslandZagFan
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Tobi that one, to me, at least makes some sense. I mean really quite a few (not all) of the guys that transfer into the WCC from larger schools do it because they weren't good enough to play at those schools. I am not agreeing with the chant but at least it has some merit. But the NIT thing? Most of these teams would die to make it to NIT this year.

Particularly dumb last night for the fans... especially for since their golden child, Ross DeRogatis was a transfer from Okie State which is, you guessed it, a Big 12 school. Way to send off your senior on senior night. :rolleyes:

tobizag
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, talk about a brain fart...I started referring to the game as though we played Santa Clara...I meant to look up the USD transfers...oops.

Apologies, and thank you LIZF for setting me straight.

:)

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Do you think they have the students turn in those shirts after the game to recycle for next year? In the never endin hope that someday it will become true?

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
If GU ever prints up "Beat (insert any team name here)" shirts, then we should consider it a basketball apocalypse and the end of the world as we know it. I'll have no option but to tear up my Bulldog Club card.

So what do those USD (and SMC, USF, etc.) fans with the shirts do with them after they've lost? Wear them around as lasting testament to futility?

However, I take it as nothing but a compliment - if it's so important to all these teams to beat us, is it really right and just that we should deny it to them so frequently? I mean really, wouldn't it be nice for them if USD could "beat Gonzaga" once in their nice, new slim-gym?........Practice random acts of Kindness and Senseless beauty (like a 360 Jam)

DenDiegoZag
02-27-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't know if you could see from the TV broadcast. But after the game as the team was standing together in their high-five huddle, Ravio made Pargo take off his jersey to show that underneath he had cut the sleves off of the navy colored "beat Gonzaga" t-shirts that USD distributed. The whole team was jumping around and chest bumping each other as if to say to the few remaining USD fans "Thanks for the great Motivation." It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. I am beginning to like this group more with each passing game; they really seem to be gelling as a team. What a great win to watch. GO ZAGS! On a seperate note, my "Beat Gonzaga" shirt is now hanging proudly in my cube at work with masking tape spelling out the fact that "USD COULD NOT..." Well you all know the rest...

RenoZag
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Didn't GU ( Alumni Assoc or NY Chapter of Same) have special T-Shirts printed up for the Duke Game?

Rubbadub
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
All they said was "Zags in New York" or something like that right?

BoltZag
02-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I mean really, wouldn't it be nice for them if USD could "beat Gonzaga" once in their nice, new slim-gym?

Perhaps you've already forgotten the 2003 WCC Tournament Championship game in the Slim Gym where Gonzaga was pounded by USD? I try to forget too...but indeed, it happened.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
After winning a race in the Pac-10 Championships in Eugene, early 70's,
Steve Prefontaine donned a "Stop Pre" shirt, made by some supporters of opponents who had never beaten him (and never did) and jogged a victory lap. Classy.

Frazzle
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
The "Beat Gonzaga" shirts quite similar to the "Stop Pre" shirts from back in the days of Steve Prefontaine at Oregon. If my recollection is correct, Pre got quite a kick out of it (as did the fans), who used it as a motivator. In fact, every now and again you see UO students wearing a "Stop Pre" shirt. That said, I, too, think it is a compliment to the GU program. However, I question the waste of economic resources since they can only wear their little shirts twice a year.

freezer12
02-27-2007, 01:47 PM
and rediculous "Buck the Froncos" shirts that USF and SMC employ year after year.

RenoZag
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
No, we prefer " Huck the Fuskies". . .

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
No, we prefer " Huck the Fuskies". . .

Excuse me Reno, but I don't think we can use that anymore as we have sworn to refer to them as chickens and Chuck the Fickens sounds weird. Or it might sound better. Whatever.

hondo
02-27-2007, 02:17 PM
are a permanent reminder of a momentary fantasy.

McZag
02-27-2007, 02:39 PM
and rediculous "Buck the Froncos" shirts that USF and SMC employ year after year.

Classless and childish but I've been laughing for 10 minutes.
:D :D :D

Bocco
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Isn't Chuck Fickens the name of the Fuskies coach

EL MUSTACIO
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
NO NO NO

I'm sure that all those fans wanted to BE AT GOnZAGa

ereiz03
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
NO NO NO

I'm sure that all those fans wanted to BE AT GOnZAGa

I'm pretty sure that almost all USD students would much rather be at their school than at Gonzaga....no offense.

ZagPhD
02-27-2007, 10:13 PM
In the words of two animated Irish dudes...

"BRILLIANT!"

MedZag
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Ravio made Pargo take off his jersey to show that underneath he had cut the sleves off of the navy colored "beat Gonzaga" t-shirts that USD distributed.

HAHAHA thats awesome!

Law Zag In Training
02-28-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that almost all USD students would much rather be at their school than at Gonzaga....no offense.

I guess I must be one of your exceptions. San Diego and SoCal = overrated. If Gonzaga had a better law school I would have stayed in Spokane. The weather here is nice though, it'd be a great place to visit and have fun, but trying to be an adult here isn't quite so hot.

gamagin
02-28-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't remember if it was true or an urban legend, but Brian "The Boz" Bosworth, Seattle Seahawks middle linebacker in the '70's, was credited with profiting from a T-Shirt scam he allegedly pulled in denver.

He was a flamboyant, #1 draft pick out of Oklahoma with a trend-setting haircut. He was built like the michelan man (steroids?-yes) with a ken doll face who never passed up a chance to be in the news or say something outrageous.

He was a very fast middle linebacker and hit like a ton of bricks, too. When he wasn't injured. thus he had a lot of fans and detractors wherever he went in his short (1.5 season or so) NFL career (shoulder shattered).

The story goes that a few weeks before the Seahawks played John elway in Denver, hundreds of T shirts began selling on the streets in the mile high city.

I forget what they said, but it was something like "Beat the Boz" or "Beat Boz," not unlike the topic of this thread.

Soon, a second set of T shirts were selling, only less of them, supporting "The Boz."

At the game there were hundreds if not thousands of these shirts worn by anti and pro Boz fans who paid $10-$12 for a $3 shirt to show up and boo each other and The Boz. There's a reason they're called fans.

The kicker was this (unproven and undocumented):

The Boz, legend had it, had designed and ordered the t shirts made and distributed to outlets in Denver through an intermediary.

He profited from both sides of the controversy and got the last laugh.

Maybe this is what GU should do at each stop.

Great fund raiser !

NJZag
02-28-2007, 06:06 AM
All they said was "Zags in New York" or something like that right?

Correct.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus+Resources/Offices+and+Services+A-Z/Alumni/AlumniChapters/newyork_web.jpg

Marketing 101: Never "advertise" for your competitor. Angelo -- as his first order of business after landing in NY -- would have taken a torch to any boxes of shirts if they'd said "Beat Duke." ;)

And you never give "top billing" to your opponent either. One of the tags on the gift boxes read "Gonzaga v. Duke."

A variety of souvenir ZAGS shirts make for some nice quilts coming out of the Seattle Chapter's "quilting society." :D

former1dog
02-28-2007, 07:13 AM
After winning a race in the Pac-10 Championships in Eugene, early 70's,
Steve Prefontaine donned a "Stop Pre" shirt, made by some supporters of opponents who had never beaten him (and never did) and jogged a victory lap. Classy.

As I understand it, eccentric and very talented former Spokane runner Gerry Lindgren had the STOP PRE shirt made as a joke to contradict the habit of Pre's "People" at Hayward field who chanted "GO PRE" in increasing volume as the race progressed. Pre did in fact get a laugh out it and donned one of the shirts during a victory lap on his home track.

Running geek note, Gerry Lindgren did beat Pre at least once, in the NCAA XC championships. Gerry was a senior, Pre a mere freshman. It was Pre's only XC loss ever in college.

sittingon50
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Can count on you for the CC knowledge, former1.

Lindgren was quite the anomaly, whether running or just living.

Spike94
02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
We are the best team in this league and will be for a long time. We are everyone elses NCAA tournement game. I am so proud of how the Zags night in and night out take everyone's best shot. Sometimes losing but most often being victorious. Actually the WCC should just print up generic white BEAT GONZAGA shirts and sell them at each arena.

Ziggy
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
As I understand it, eccentric and very talented former Spokane runner Gerry Lindgren had the STOP PRE shirt made as a joke to contradict the habit of Pre's "People" at Hayward field who chanted "GO PRE" in increasing volume as the race progressed. Pre did in fact get a laugh out it and donned one of the shirts during a victory lap on his home track.

Running geek note, Gerry Lindgren did beat Pre at least once, in the NCAA XC championships. Gerry was a senior, Pre a mere freshman. It was Pre's only XC loss ever in college.

My XC mates and I all wore "Go Pre" shirts in practice and before meets. Needless to say they were in vogue amongst runners and fans and were the impetus for Lindgren's shirt.

UberZagFan
03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Top Draft Busts of the Modern Era

Brian Bosworth
LB, Supplemental Draft, Seattle Seahawks, 1987

After Bosworth won the Butkus Award twice at Oklahoma, the Seahawks selected him in the 1987 supplemental draft and signed him to a 10-year, $11 million deal. With his funky haircuts and his "Boz" attitude, he was supposed to redefine the linebacker position. But injuries limited him to a disappointing three-year career. The NFL's loss was Hollywood's gain. Bosworth delivered a subtle and moving performance in Stone Cold, and he'll appear later this year in The Longest Yard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/04/15/draft.busts/gallery_bosworth.jpg

The Boz is best known around these parts for getting bulldozed by Bo, another tragic sports figure.

roxdoc
03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I'll never forget Bo running right over the top of him, head on, for a touchdown!

4EVERaZAG
03-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Saw Bouldin last night and the Fitness Center watching Kyle Bankhead's team win the intramural A league Championship. Bouldin was sporting one of the USD "Beat Gonzaga" T-shirts. It was pretty amusing. By the way Bankhead was making it rain last night. He hit about six-threes in the first half to lead his team to victory.

mendiant
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Boz made a point of saying how he DID NOT want to be drafted by Seattle...the LAST place he wanted to be...karma.

On topic...nice to know that other WCC teams are making $$$ off of the GU name.