PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga CAN beat Memphis

Reborn
01-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Of course the Zags can beat Memphis. That's what basketball is all about. The game is going to be much closer than many fans think. The Zags are a very good team and getting better, and they will play much better against Memphis.

The Zags have been playing good basketball lately accept in the closing five minutes of the games. I really believe they will work on that this week like Pargo said. One thing that must be remembered is that conference games are very, very tough. Yes, St.Mary's clobbered Loyalo M. last night but so did we. But they only beat Pepperdine by five. We haven't had one that close yet.

And look at all the other conferences. Conference play is just much different from OOC play. I said it last week, and I'll say it again. Don't overlook ANY conference opponent. I heard Jay Bilas say that last night too.

I think the Zags will be ready for Memphis. It will be a very close game, imo. I know I'm not going into the game feeling negative at all, and I hope the Zags feel the same (and I know they do). They're not going to Memphis to lose, and especially to embarrass themselves. They're going there to knock off the #1 team in the country and I, for one, think they're gonna do it. Memphis is prime to lose this one. There will be a lot of pressure on them believe me. I doubt that they've ever been #1. I think our schedule has been tougher than theirs (especially the Tennessee game) and that will favor us. They are at home which helps them.

I have not stopped believing in the Zags. I've gotten upset once in a while, but I get over that. This is a very good team, and I do BELIEVE in them. I hope our fan base begins to rally around the team and gets behind them for saturday's game. I am sooooooo excited for the game. I've been waiting for this the whole year, and I'm not going to let a few pessimists upset my beliefs.

It's only Tuesday, so we fans have four days to turn our heads around (if they're spinning). This is the biggest game of the year (maybe all time). Have we ever played a #1 ranked team? So let's get excited about this guys. Quit the pissin and moaning and let's get ready for a great day. And a great game. If you can't believe in OUR ZAGS, how can you say that you're a true fan. It's ok to be down, it's ok to feel doubtful and pessimistic. But it's more important to now let it go, and get positive. Josh can handle Dorsey believe me. So can Kuso. Oh yeah...he may get a dunk or two like last year. I really dont expect their press to hurt us that badly. We do have good ball handlers. AND THE ZAGS CAN SCORE. We're getting the offense straightened out, and playing better defense this year. This game is going to be in the 80's.

pbriz
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
We have played a #1, Cincinatti I think it was in 1999 and lost by less than 10.

I am with you Reborn and thanks for this post. I think we can pull it off too.

TigerBill
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I doubt that they've ever been #1. I think our schedule has been tougher than theirs (especially the Tennessee game) and that will favor us. They are at home which helps them.
It's been 25 years since we were last ranked numero uno, which means that most of our players (well, all of them except Dorsey) weren't even alive back then. So you're certainly correct in that this is uncharted territory for these guys, with the added pressure of having the bullseye painted squarely on their chests. It will be really interesting to see how they react on Wednesday night at Tulsa. Their crowd will be out for blood, you can be sure.

Many folks (especially Kansas and Tarheel fans) criticize our schedule due to league affiliation, which I think is unfair. I realize that Gonzaga has played a difficult non-conference schedule, for many of the same reasons we're forced to load up on juggernauts, but I think we've more than proved our worth.

Thus far, we've defeated Georgetown, USC, Arizona, UConn, Oklahoma and Cincinnati, all of whom are/were either ranked or are playing very well right now. We've been through the meat-grinder and have somehow been fortunate enough to come out unscathed. I think we've been adequately prepared to handle the challenges that Gonzaga will bring this weekend, and it should be a great game. I know that we're certainly looking forward to it!

Rubbadub
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd love a win, but I won't be disappointed as long as GU plays their butts off and don't at any point give up. I'd love a game exactly like last years, but with the Zags winning by 1 in OT instead of Memphis.

ZagsGoZags
01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
TigerBill:

Welcome to our board. I watched your team beat us in the last few seconds last year at the Spokane Arena. Your team's athleticism and quickness were fine. You beat us fair and square. I wish your team all the best, except Saturday, when I hope the zags can pull out an upset. I hope you'll keep talkikng to us.

TigerBill
01-22-2008, 10:35 AM
TigerBill:

Welcome to our board. I watched your team beat us in the last few seconds last year at the Spokane Arena. Your team's athleticism and quickness were fine. You beat us fair and square. I wish your team all the best, except Saturday, when I hope the zags can pull out an upset. I hope you'll keep talkikng to us.
I'll absolutely continue to stop by and visit after this weekend, win, lose or draw. You have a great community here and I enjoy following your program. :)

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
The Zags CAN win this game. The primary reason is exactly what others have said... they have absolutely NOTHING to lose. They are expected to lose big. They aren't supposed to make a game of it.

Going into the game against the Vols there were a lot of unknowns but there was moderate level of expectation that the Zags would/could win the game. Going into Memphis, for many out there, the W is already in the record books for Memphis. Note, this is coming from 2 sources, the media and self loathing Zag fans.

So by my estimation, they can play like the hunted that they so often are within the conference games. Difference here is that they are most assuredly a much better hunter than San Diego or USF.

If they play like they have absolutely nothing to lose... then I'd say they are likely to come out with a big fat W instead of the L that many expect them to leave with.

Reborn
01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the classy post TigerBill. Please, do come back. I agree. It should be a great game between two great programs.

RenoZag
01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
From Reggie Rankin, ESPN:

• Saturday: Gonzaga over Memphis, ESPN, noon ET

The play you anytime, anywhere Zags are like the Tigers in that they must play a tough nonconference schedule because their league wins can't get them into the dance like the power conferences. The Tigers possess a powerful offense averaging over 80 points per game. Chris Douglas-Roberts, Derrick Rose and Robert Dozier are the top point producers for the deep Tigers. The Memphis pressure defense -- which holds opponents below sixty points -- is anchored by forward Joey Dorsey. Gonzaga is a tough-minded and battle-tested team that has some firepower of its own. Do it all guard Matt Bouldin is the leading scorer and center Josh Heytvelt is continuing to round into form. David Pendergraft and Austin Daye are skilled scorers and Jeremy Pargo has shown he can take over games. If the perimeter of the Zags can hold their own and Heytvelt can keep the Memphis big men busy, there is a chance for the Zags to steal a major win on the road.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch011&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2)

Goshzagit
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
The Zags CAN beat Memphis if we play by the principles in the video link below. Its quite simple, subtle, and obvious, yet if the Zags can put it together at the right time, it will be OUR day and we will be victorious against the #1 team in the country...Go Zags!!

The biggest win in GU's history is on the horizon! I can feel it. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fLywgEQts

Billy D. nailed it for what the Zags need to hear.

MDABE80
01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
You know guys, it does occur to me that this upcoming tilt isn't exactly like Chaminade-Virgnia for years ago. Zags have lots of scorers and lots ot bring to the table on Saturday. We play better defense than we have in years. I'm also sure Few and the guys have been watching tapes and have an idea how to manage this game. As I said yesterday, it still comes down to guard management. Control those guards and we can win this.

Pargo needs to put all his 220 lbs into driving the key and then let the shooters do what they do. Dorsey is an absolute bull down low. We do have lots of fouls to give down there. Keep him on the line. Josh is still slowly coming along.....but he'll be a major factor. Kuso ( go see last years game) did an amazing job last year.

Kuso and Josh will anchor down low and I do thnk they can do well. Lock up their guards.......push hold whatever it takes to lock em up. Pargo needs to penetrate and challenge the middle. We'll need four guys on those boards every time! We have the talent to beat anyone......not in a flukish way either. Let's not be doing the "Gee, I hope they don't beat us THAT bad" or the "Even if we get within 10 pts, it'll be a victory of sorts". Nah.....Memphis is good but so are the Zags if we play to potential.

We've got speed, we got leapers, we've got bigs, we've got scorers and a diverse batch of em too. Plsu we've got fouls to give.........lots of em too. Just control those guards and it'll be a close game. We're GU....no whining. We can beat anyone. It should be a good game. Where's the spirit of 10 years ago? We don't hang our heads like lambs to the slaughter. Best talent we've ever had. Put those boys to work and let Few guide em. Remember, this is a war. We've won em before. No reason not to contest everything this time. Why be sheepish? Just let those guys do what they're trained to do.

MickMick
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
There is parity in college basketball. No team is as bad as we would want to believe. No team is as good as we want to believe. People, players, teams have bad and good days. Gonzaga on a good day can beat Memphis on their bad day. It can happen. I wouldn't bet money on it.

bigblahla
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Great post Abe. We have some fine young men wearing GU colors that aren't going to lay down for anyone or go away easy. This will be a War.

Stay focused and battle on every possesion, pound the boards and play in your face "D.

This is an opportunity to make history, reinforce the Zag credo "Anybody, Anytime, Anywhere"

Givem hell boys, givem hell!

Go!! Zags!!!

OZZag
01-22-2008, 01:30 PM
We do have lots of fouls to give down there. Keep him on the line. Josh is still slowly coming along.....but he'll be a major factor. Kuso ( go see last years game) did an amazing job last year.

Kuso and Josh will anchor down low and I do thnk they can do well.

MDABE80,

Do you think that with the fouls we may be giving away, could big Rob end up with some minutes or will he only be used as a last resort if someone fouls out?

fedwayzag
01-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I know we can win. We are much better this year then last. Substitute Josh for Sean who was on a bad ankle. I believe Pargo and Bouldin are better then a year a go. Downs is playing well. Gray and Daye are upgrades and Pendo is is himself. I see a much improved team then last yrs which lost in in overtime.

I only have one concern and that is the 9 am start time. How many of you have played or coached a game which started early in the morning. First 5-8 minutes of the game are going to be very important. If we are close then we win.

MDABE80
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Dunno OZZ. It's always best to see how the game flow is. Rob will do whatever he's driected to. He's pretty athletic and large even though he doesn't have the bulk of Dorsey. Planned minutes? Just can't be sure of the strategy. I do know this: the way he fouls, he won't be around long..........lol.

I still think ROb's a valuable player for us....just raw. It's not a bad idea to have him in the wings. RIght now, he's a dunker....not much other offense. He developed a nice babyhook early in the season. A thing of beauty with some work.. He'll certainly see some minutes if our frontline bigs get into trouble.

ZagsGoZags
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
They are not playing at 9 am, they will be playing at 11 am after being in the Tennessee time zone for a couple of nights.

TrueLiz
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
They are not playing at 9 am, they will be playing at 11 am after being in the Tennessee time zone for a couple of nights.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I certainly don't claim to be an expert here, but I recall hearing from a friend who works with a D1 athletic department, who said that when school is in session, teams cannot travel more than a day in advance, so Friday would be the earliest they could travel. I find that kind of time change tough to handle for a day even when I have no obligations or things to do, let alone playing a game at 11 am.

If that is not correct, and they can travel Thursday, I would think that would make a big difference, but if someone with more knowledge than me on this can confirm or deny, that would be cool.

MDABE80
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
This is where the Angelo/CDC guys come in. They knows the intricacies of the NCAA rules. I don't. Sorry Liz. Good question.

ZagsGoZags
01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
that's right
I might have mis-spoke,
I thought it was brought up in here earlier that they would have two days to acclimatize
but maybe that memory is fuzzy or about something else

Chi-townTiger
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I think we'll be ready to play Saturday. We looked real bad tonight against Tulsa and we usually follow up a bad game with a good performance. This will be our first home game since we were ranked #1 and I know the place will be rocking. We'll need that kind of energy to beat you.

Reborn
01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Good to see you here Chi-townTiger, even though you bring us bad news. :D

I am really looking forward to the game. It'll probably be our best game up to this point. The Zags are definately better than we were against Tennessee, Utah, Oklahoma, Texas Tech. And I'd say considerably better. We are better than we were last year, and again considerably better. But, with all that said, can we beat Memphis who is also considerably better this year. The home game factor is huge, but this year the Zags are showing that for the most part we're playing much better on the road this year. We may even be playing better on the road than at home.

So far this year there have been so many upsets in NCAA Div I basketball that an uspet Saturday would certainly not be a surprise. In fact most of the analysts are saying that. Gonzaga certainly has the athletes to compete against you guys, and Heytvelt will do well against Dorsey. I worry most about Dozier and that #0 who is having a great season off the bench for you guys.

I also believe that a huge factor is going to be who gets into foul trouble the most. I am hoping that with our talented guards and wings that we might be able to get Douglas Roberts and Rose into foul trouble. Douglas Roberts seems too smart for that, but possibly Rose, being a Freshman, could get into trouble.

former1dog
01-24-2008, 09:07 AM
I think we'll be ready to play Saturday. We looked real bad tonight against Tulsa and we usually follow up a bad game with a good performance. This will be our first home game since we were ranked #1 and I know the place will be rocking. We'll need that kind of energy to beat you.

I'm just glad Tulsa didn't beat you.

Then we would have been facing a wounded Tiger.:(

mphsvoodoo
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd just like to tell ya'll that you are great fans, very knowledgeable about the game and enthusiatic about your guys. Ya'll that are coming to Memphis, have a great time! We are looking forward to a great game!

daddyodewy
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I believe our contract with you guys runs out next year. I'd love to see it continue. And I like that it's later on into the season.

We both need a game asgainst high quality teams for RPI reasons, for ranking reasons, and for seeding reasons.

For those coming to the Bluff City, have a great stay in Memphis town.

For those watching on TV.......enjoy, but too bad you won't be here. It's gonna be electric in the Fed-Ex Forum.

FrosTbear
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
YES the Zags can and will beat Memphis. This will happen when we come out hungry and intense. Moving the ball around looking for the best shot, big blocks and steals will set the tone for the "W".

Reborn
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Man, am I excited for Saturday and it's only Thursday afternoon. But the game is at 9:00 am. I think it's just starting to sink in how big this game is. I mean we're playing #1 ranked Memphis. How could anyone not be getting excited. When I first posted the thread I was kind of just thinking, "wouldn't it be nice if we did!!!" Then, yesterday I was thinking, "Yeah! We could possibly beat Memphis. IF they had a really off night, and we played perfect." I don't think that will happen.

Today, I'm thinking, "how good are we?" We've been playing pretty good the last two weeks. Much much better. Our offense does look better overall.
Gonzaga will not have their A game. WE are just not there yet. Sorry. I think Josh definately has a ways to go, and our jelling together is a ways off. But defensively, we will be there I think. Josh is playing really good D. Kuso too.

I think this game will come down to Memphis not being able to handle the preassure of being number 1. I saw it in their game last night. That's a heavy load to carry when you're not used to it. NOW everyone expects you to roll and thunder over everyone....All eyes will be on Memphis' every play. They will be analyzed to death. It's just been too long for them since they've been #1. Plus they will have a chance to get back there if they Beat Tennessee. I just really think Memphis is ripe to get upset by the Zags. And THE ZAGS are ready to show how good they are. I think they are tired of all the darkness they've been under for a year now. It's time for the Zags to shine brightly. And shine they will do.

TheOtherGreatOne
01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
if kentucky can beat tennessee,then yes the zags can beat menphis.the cats just took their time against the press and didn't have a lot of stupid turnovers.when tenn.tried to get physcial the cats just got physcial with them and the vols didn't handle it well,and started throwing up a bunch of 3s which they didn't make.
the zags need to do the same thing.when they get physcial,get physcial right back with them,they won't expect that.we've got 15 fouls to use between kuso,sacre,and foster.why not use them?so what if they all foul out,use those fouls.the tigers are not that great from the foul line.do that and take your timeagainst the press,don't panic and make stupid turnovers,and yes we can beat the tigers.i also don't think they will handle being no.1 very well.the
y probably figure since they are no.1 all they have to do is show up to win.
it's time for the zags to pull off one of those big upsets that they are famous for.

upan8th
01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Gotta love the enthusiasm here for the Zags. Wishing that all the good karma works to their benefit. But if it doesn't, here's hoping it's an entertaining game instead of a Memphis blow-out. The reality check: Memphis has yet to lose to any of their top ranked opponents. The Zags have yet to win against the same ranked group. The Tigers have been invincible at the Fed Ex the last year or so, the Zags are 0-2 vs ranked opponents on the road this season (Oklahoma and Tennesee (not really a "road" game). The possible difference maker for GU, Josh H, is SICK! As in ill, not as in SICK! Has anyone on the board ever tried to do anything athletic while having bronchitis? Finally, the Zags are a young team in flux, still developing an identity and a signature style of play. The Tigers, though young themselves, have had the advantage of a solid ten man rotation playing a consistent game-winning strategy since game one.

An oddsmaker's line of Memphis minus 10 1/2 should be, given the realities, just about right. Can only hope to see them again in March, after this flux stuff transforms to the right stuff.

gotigergo
01-25-2008, 09:44 AM
The Tigers have been invincible at the Fed Ex the last year or so, .

We haven't lost since January 2006 in FedEx Forum. That is just another reason this game Saturday in causing me such anxiety..you know it's bound to happen sometime. Looks like it will be a fun game. Anyone traveling to Memphis, you should have a great time...its a fantastic city!

abarefootboy
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
This thread illustrates the apogee of ... ' sportsmanship ' ...
and how the backbone ... guts and brains .... of quality college atheletic programs can help nurture a healthy , national American community.

Sports has a role to play in our country which transcends mere atheleticism.

Sportsmanship.

It's the best of who we are.

Reborn
01-25-2008, 02:11 PM
what a great post barefootboy. Where's Millwood? Don't remember seeing you post here, but I'm glad you did. It's been a pretty crazy week here. You kind of really summed it all up for me.

I've never felt better about a team than I do this team. Maybe because it's a team that represents struggle. Things have not come easy for this team for the last two years. And I think it's been the kind of challenges that we've faced, and the let downs we've had, and the getting back up time after time and preparing ourselves for the next battle, the next war that IS the FUEGO of this team. This team has NEVER quit and I know it's getting ready right now for a great fight.

The Zags are not intimidated by Memphis, nor is there any fear. They are a band of brothers getting ready for a fight. They lead us, ZagNation, toward that fight and we follow in spirited pursuit. I know a part of me goes with them tomorrow and a part of you too. That too is what makes this such a special thing. As for me, I know longer see this as a battle between David, the child, and Goliath the Giant. This is a fight between men, and men of equal strength. Callipari knows this and so does Few. It will be a great fight, but it is not the championship. I think for Memphis it is more so than for us, but it is important for both armies. Memphis wants to proove it's a giant, and Gonzaga wants to prove that we're men of equal stature, no longer a child named David, but David soon to be a kind.