PDA

View Full Version : Some love for Jeremy

tyra
01-22-2008, 05:48 AM
I am very impressed with how Jeremy is playing lately, aching back notwithstanding. Solid. Always looking for the other guy. Excellent ball control (only 1 TO last night!). Penetrating when he can but not forcing it. He's become "The General".

jazzdelmar
01-22-2008, 06:06 AM
i agree....cue the pollys

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Why did I just get a phone call from the HS cheerleader, that rejected me many years ago, telling me that she wanted to go out with me now? Could it be that the furnace is broken in a very warm place? Jazz saying something positive about Pargo??? Say it ain't so! ;)

jazzdelmar
01-22-2008, 06:12 AM
It so.....Mr Polly

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 06:15 AM
It so.....Mr Polly

I can break into a negative ned when I want to. But I am an eternal optimist. :p

Ziggy
01-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Why did I just get a phone call from the HS cheerleader, that rejected me many years ago, telling me that she wanted to go out with me now? Could it be that the furnace is broken in a very warm place? Jazz saying something positive about Pargo??? Say it ain't so! ;)

It's really a "back-handed compliment". Sort of like saying no twice in the same sentence, i.e. double negative.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Heavy thinking Ziggy......

Ziggy
01-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Heavy thinking Ziggy......

For a heavy dude...Jazz....

AllezZags
01-22-2008, 07:03 AM
but his last 4 games have been really good. last night he made so many good decisions. good on you Jeremy.

BubbaGump
01-22-2008, 08:07 AM
but his last 4 games have been really good. last night he made so many good decisions. good on you Jeremy.

He's gotten schooled by the opposing point in the last two games. He made some REALLY STUPID mistakes against SD at the end of the game, and he couldn't make a free throw to save his life. 58% free throw shooting is PATHETIC, especially for a PG, Did you notice how they tried to keep the ball out of his hands last night at the end of the game after he bricked the free throw. To his credit, his free throw stroke is better than that 3-pointer he hoisted up that almost broke the glass! He actually is playing better, but not at the level that you need to be a top 10 team and advance in the NCAAs. Sorry...:(

CDC84
01-22-2008, 08:49 AM
As the coaches have been saying, Pargo can't even get down into a proper defensive stance right now due to his back. He's literally in severe pain when he attempts to do this. That is why he is surrendering dribble penetration right now that he hasn't the entire season. I feel bad for him, because he has been terrific on D most of the year. It's also one of the key reasons why Gonzaga's defense hasn't exactly been brilliant 3 out of the last 4 games. His on ball pressure leads the defensive attack.

The free throw business is bewildering to me. Pargo has a history of being a decent free throw shooter. He shot 73.2% last season. Coach Rice said on the coaches show last week that Pargo is very aware of this weakness and that it is really bothering him. He's putting in the time trying to get it sorted out. As Leon put it, Pargo is at the point where he is "thinking about it too much."

I am not saying that Pargo is in any way shape or form the prospect that Derrick Rose is, but his key stats are in the same vicinity. Personally, I could care less about Jeremy's 3 point shooting percentage....he's got guys around him like Bouldin (42%), Gray (52%), Daye (47%), Downs (38%), and Pendo (40%) that can shoot it from out there. The free throw shooting is the big concern, although it must be said that Rose's FT % isn’t exactly where you would want a player of his caliber to be shooting at. This comparison is merely to point out that while Pargo certainly does deserve some criticism, some of it goes way over the top:

Rose: 14.1 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.4 to 1 A/T, 1.2 SPG, 48% FG, 70% FT, 37.5% FT

Pargo: 10.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 6.1 APG, 1.7 to 1 A/T, 1.2 SPG, 46% FG, 58% FT, 25% 3PT

Schmitty
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
For a heavy dude...Jazz....

I think Ive got JAZZ narrowed down to 2 possible people..

1. Paul Westphal
2. Omar Samhan

bartruff1
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I suspect he will have a multi year career in the NBA...I just hope he doesn't start it next year but who could blame him with the huge money available..

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I think Ive got JAZZ narrowed down to 2 possible people..

1. Paul Westphal
2. Omar Samhan

I can attest that Jazz is neither, as I have had off board correspondence with him. If he were Samhan, he'd have been a young lad when nhe started posting on the Zag board as Jazz goes way back.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I wish I had Westphal's game....Naa...Im neither.....And, LIZF, we have met in person, recall, at the Dook game....u and I were among the few not wearing $2,000 suits from Paul Stuart at the game...............

PortlandbasedZag
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I suspect he will have a multi year career in the NBA...I just hope he doesn't start it next year but who could blame him with the huge money available..

Are you kidding?? There is NO way that he would be a first round pick next year. I LOVE the guy and espicially how he great he is playing with a bad back, but you have to be kidding me. He'll be back next year, and then [I]may[I] make NBA, where i DO believe he can play, but there are WAY too many one and done PG coming out this year...

I love that he is distributing the ball more and I think that makes this team that much better...we have SO many shooters. I hope that at the Memphis game he keeps up with this distribution role and doesn't try to force it as much. KEEP IT UP JEREMY!!!

ZagMania
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
As the coaches have been saying, Pargo can't even get down into a proper defensive stance right now due to his back. He's literally in severe pain when he attempts to do this. That is why he is surrendering dribble penetration right now that he hasn't the entire season. I feel bad for him, because he has been terrific on D most of the year. It's also one of the key reasons why Gonzaga's defense hasn't exactly been brilliant 3 out of the last 4 games. His on ball pressure leads the defensive attack.

If he couldn't prevent keep Quezada and Strong in front of him then he really should have just been resting it. I think we could have gotten by without him, and if playing on it is going to prolong the effects and its not healed by Saturday he'll have a hell of a time staying in front of Rose. We'll really need him to go practically 40 minutes against the Tigers even if its just to handle the defensive pressure and get our offense going.

And yeah, I agree with the original post that Jeremy has been doing a great job the last couple of games on the offensive end and making good decision.

ZagsGoZags
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Pargo is growing wiser
he was looking for the basic bread and butter passing a lot last night, and nailed several for good assists,
nothing too fancy

I am still furious that he has to be physically suffering from that inexcusable, flagrant foul, that would have been battery out on the street. He hit on the back of his head.

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I wish I had Westphal's game....Naa...Im neither.....And, LIZF, we have met in person, recall, at the Dook game....u and I were among the few not wearing $2,000 suits from Paul Stuart at the game...............

Holy Cow! That's right. I ran into so many people that night... totally forgot about that. I still think we need to meet at either Katz's or Junior's one of these days when you are in the Big Apple again.

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Pargo is growing wiser
he was looking for the basic bread and butter passing a lot last night, and nailed several for good assists,
nothing too fancy

I am still furious that he has to be physically suffering from that inexcusable, flagrant foul, that would have been battery out on the street. He hit on the back of his head.

I know this is going to sound strange, but the injury may be a blessing in disguise. Since the pain limits some of the things he can do offensively, it has forced him to look for good solid passes and assists. Translate that out past the pain when he has more movement and better ability to leap and cut without pain and the lesson in making solid decisions will make him that much more dangerous to the opposing team.

MickMick
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Dominic James (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=Dominic+James&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D3 e04a6199746c094%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery% 3DDominic%2BJames%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252 F%252Fwww.draftexpress.com%252Fprofile%252FDominic-James-595%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.draftexpress.com%2Fpro file%2FDominic-James-595%2F)was advised by the NBA scouts to return for his junior year instead of declaring. If James was told to return for his senior year, what do you think they are going to tell Jeremy?

Jeremy doesn't have the size or shooting skills to make it in the NBA. Truth.

Note: James is an excellent comparison to Jeremy with respect to how they play, strengths, weaknesses, and how they may project into the next level.

bartruff1
01-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Dominic James (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=Dominic+James&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D3 e04a6199746c094%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery% 3DDominic%2BJames%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252 F%252Fwww.draftexpress.com%252Fprofile%252FDominic-James-595%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.draftexpress.com%2Fpro file%2FDominic-James-595%2F)was advised by the NBA scouts to return for his junior year instead of declaring. If James was told to return for his senior year, what do you think they are going to tell Jeremy?

Jeremy doesn't have the size or shooting skills to make it in the NBA. Truth.

Note: James is an excellent comparison to Jeremy with respect to how they play, strengths, weaknesses, and how they may project into the next level.I never suggested that he would be a 1st Round Pick or a starter on some team, only that he would play for several years and make some real money. His career shooting stats aren't bad at all and IMO he has the courage, the heart, the perserverance... the so called intangibles to make it. Plus he has the floor game and the strength for their schedule. He has played some truely remarkable games against some first rate teams so we shall see, won't we ?

mendiant
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I hope he takes care of his back!!!

love,
mendiant