PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Sutton is so Cool!

mendiant
01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
This guy is all class!!

He walks on to the court and the first thing he does is come over to the home bench and shake hands with the coaching staff.

He spent a considerable amount of time with our dear Mark, hand on Few's shoulder chatting...smiling...

Then after the game, he is up right away, hand extended, smiling again. He seemed to have a moment for each player on our team, a word, a pat on the back.

What a gentleman!!!

It was a privelege to have you in our Kennel, sir...

This rabid Zag fan would have only minded a little if you'd gotten 800 here!!

MDABE80
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Gracious in victory and gracious in defeat. He spent time with the kids after the game. Just such a different guy from when he was at Ok St or Ky..... quieter, less harried and calm. Slightly bent over nowadays but he teaches every facet. We're lucky to have him visit us.

GonzagaGurl08
01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Eddie Sutton is such a class act. He is also a great coach. USF is lucky to have him as an interim/

TexasZagFan
01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
USF showed they had some talent on the court tonight. An old coach like Sutton could be just what they needed.

Watching the post game handshakes made me glad I was still awake at 1 AM local.

ZagsGoZags
01-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I loved the way he jumped on every spare second in time outs to emphatically make this point and that. He points his finger constantly to make emphasis, but not pointing into anybody's face. He obviously knows a ton about all facets of the game, and was eager to get as much said as possible. I even thought the attitude of his players reflected a bit of the 'learn from the master' type of respect

GPGUgrad
01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the WCC Mr. Sutton!

Much impressed by your professionalism.

I can see USF becoming a challenge in the near future which should make our conference much stronger.

Again, welcome.

ZagNative
01-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I appreciated all your classy posts. Thanks, friends.

Photo from ESPN's photo album of (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/photo?teamId=2250)the game tonight below:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/030801fe-34fd-4ca4-932b-eb0584840ee0.jpg
"San Francisco basketball coach Eddie Sutton talks with his team during the first half against
Gonzaga on Monday, Jan. 21, 2008, in Spokane, Wash. Sutton is looking for his 800th win as
a college basketball coach. (AP Photo/Ingrid Barrentine)"

Birddog
01-22-2008, 05:12 AM
Just such a different guy from when he was at Ok St or Ky..

Abe, not sure where that comes from at least re. Ok St. He's always been that way around here. Remember, he and his son have no problem scheduling the Zags either, even though Eddie is now 0 for 3. Oh wait a minute, he was sort of cool towards Kelvin when he was here, I wonder why?

Birddog

PS Eddie is stooped over because of a bad back, he suffered it when he slipped on an escalator ironically, I think, in the SF Bay area. After the back accident, he was really in a lot of pain, and missed a lot of coaching sessions. He then got on pain meds for the back, then subsequently got back on the bottle (coupled with the meds) for a little more relief. He was very candid after the drunk driving incident about how it was the pain that got him back to drinking, and he was also candid about the fact that he should have known better. The real tragedy in that case was that someone inside the OSU BB operations, had to know what was going on and covered it up. No one ever got implicated though.

MacZag
01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
It was truly heart-warming to watch Sutton after the game, go through the line of Zags and really, it seemed, talk to each one. He is a coach who truly appreciates the game, has respect for the opposing team players/coach and presents himself like a true gentleman. What a nice move for SF to have their players coached by such a man-he truly brings class to the game!:D

Ziggy
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
What an extraordinary situation for SFU to be able to bring him into the midst of their program and into the mix of the WCC. An excellent counterpoint to the Wahlberg Circus down the road!

Northspokane
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
are you talking about the same guy who the reason behind UK having NCAA violations, or the person who was drinking and driving putting people's lives at risk, or is only coaching at USF to achieve a personal milestone and nothing else??? just checking

gonza
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
are you talking about the same guy who the reason behind UK having NCAA violations, or the person who was drinking and driving putting people's lives at risk, or is only coaching at USF to achieve a personal milestone and nothing else??? just checking

Gee North, I hope you don't live in a glass house !!
Even good men make mistakes and sometimes even own up to them.
You must have inside info on his motivation for joining USF, or you don't want to take the time to go beyond your shallow assumption. Teachers teach, and Eddie is clearly a teacher who loves basketball. You should at least show some respect and acknowledge what he has acomplished.

Zag 77
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Everybody is entitled to a little redemption. I am not so bothered by Sutton wanting to get to 800. So what if the guy wants to have that on his resume. USF benefits too. After all, USF was up crap creek without a paddle a month ago. The guy brings that sad sack program some coaching talent (even if only temporarily) that will make those kids better players. They already look more disciplined and will probably give us a rough time down there.

Hopefully USF will put the time to good use and get somebody in there that can rebuild an otherwise storied program.

zzzjag
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I was surprised he was interviewed and said this was the least talented team he has ever coached. I am curious what his players/team thinks about that.

I am also curious if the FR/Soph's recruited by Jesse Evan's want to buy in or stay around thinking he may be gone at season's end.

On another note, how about Pepperdine? Their recruits chose Pepperdine specifically to run the system that coach Wahlberg put in place. Will the new head coach play a factor on them staying put? Remember their FR Michael Gerrity that left for Univ of Charlotte after a great season?

Northspokane
01-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Gee North, I hope you don't live in a glass house !!
Even good men make mistakes and sometimes even own up to them.
You must have inside info on his motivation for joining USF, or you don't want to take the time to go beyond your shallow assumption. Teachers teach, and Eddie is clearly a teacher who loves basketball. You should at least show some respect and acknowledge what he has acomplished.

Well I was stating some facts. He even stated that he was coaching USF to get 800. Maybe they should start rebuilding now instead of missing out on recruits and go recruiting. I bet he isn't doing any of that. 2nd Chances sure, but no more. I am glad you are judging someone because they can socialize with coaches and shake hands well.

It is not my job to judge the man. But I was just curious why people were giving him saint like praises when he, well, hasn't been.

CDC84
01-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Sutton sets selfish standard

Eddie Sutton still has 799 career wins. (Associated Press)

John Blanchette
The Spokesman-Review
January 22, 2008

Never mind Barry Bonds. Question is, should Eddie Sutton's record whatever it winds up being be adorned with an asterisk?

Surely it won't be any less manipulated than whatever Barry did with a syringe and a Louisville Slugger.

And surely the mercenary and shameless sides of college athletics have never been quite so exposed as they've been this past month with the revival of the Eddie Sutton Story, now playing at gyms throughout the West Coast Conference wherever the University of San Francisco Dons show up as the evening's afterthought.

On Monday night, this was Gonzaga. ESPN's cameras were here again as Any Job Eddie sought career victory No. 800 and the host Bulldogs tried to avoid being a footnote to a charade.

They didn't have to try all that hard. The Dons have been brutal less so in the Eddie Era, though history remained on hold as the Zags lurched to a 72-64 win.

The good news for USF is that three other WCC teams appear to be every bit as brutal, which is why Sutton was able to get out of Portland the other night with his 799th victory.

And how many wins was that for the Dons? Is that even relevant?

This is all about Sutton and the school, and has very little to do with the current players, who will benefit from the basketball wisdom and endure the harpings of their interim schoolmarm out of pride and a competitive itch. Besides, it's not likely this is the first time they've had to play through the dark side of a coach's ego or the mess of a hyperactive administrator.

It all came to a head the day after Christmas. Somehow over turkey dinner, what had been lingering dissatisfaction with coach Jessie Evans was inflated into an emergency. He was out, the 71-year-old Sutton ended his involuntary two-year retirement to take over without ever having stepped on campus and athletic director Debi Gore-Mann tried to get her timeline straight, without success or much in the way of credibility.

The cartoon they cooked up was that Evans had requested a leave of absence. Like K-Fed is taking a leave of absence from Britney.

It was all as clumsy as a 7-footer wearing screen doors for sneakers, and perfectly impossible to decide who came off looking worse. Sutton had shown up for USF's game in Long Beach on Dec. 18 to see what he'd be getting himself into, showing a professional courtesy toward a fellow coach not seen since the last time Bobby Petrino was shopping himself around. Gore-Mann, hopeful that Sutton was looking for longer term work, called it "an audition for USF basketball," as if her program was not worthy of being coached well. That should have earned her a stinging rebuke from her bosses, except they were probably lining up for autographs.

And soon enough, Sutton made it clear he was a Don on the 11-week plan affirming, as if there had been any doubt, that he was in it strictly for a meaningless number.

The milestone had been denied him at Oklahoma State, or rather he'd denied himself. In February 2006, Sutton was injured in a traffic accident, cited for DUI, and put on medical leave six wins short of No. 800. His son, Sean already his designated successor took over. The school, as it was allowed under NCAA rules, decreed that the remaining wins and losses that season would go on dad's record.

(Along those lines, a press row colleague from Seattle brought up another issue: if those four wins at OK-State belong to Eddie, why don't any more this season at USF belong to Evans?)

In any event, it was a crummy way to go out.

This was a crummier way to get back in.

In press accounts since, the Sutton clan and Gore-Mann have tried to soften the No. 800 angle by noting that another school had offered Sutton a gig last year that he turned down. Never mind that he suggested himself to replace his youngest son, Scott, at Oral Roberts last April when Scott sniffed at the Wichita State job. And the fact is, he doesn't want a long-term situation. He wants only the needed victories. He has said there are projects back in Oklahoma a Tulsa athletic complex and a Stillwater addiction center that need his fund-raising attention.

Just not, you know, for the next couple of months.

So how does he teach with a straight face, anyway his new charges the concepts of selfless basketball when he's making such a transparent glory grab?

And how does he not realize the stink this puts on his profession?

Look at it this way: At the moment, Sean Sutton is in the crosshairs at OSU. The Cowboys are 10-8 and haven't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2005. Suppose Bobby Knight had been bumped aside a year ago short of 900 wins, and suddenly showed up at last night's game against Texas to see if he'd like to replace Eddie's kid just to reach his own milestone?

Think Eddie wouldn't have something sour to say about that?

sittingon50
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I like John's stuff a lot, but not this time.

gonza
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually my observation was primarily based on the way he talked to the bench players during the game, he was always teaching, and I really doubt that USF would hire him if all the Dons got was 800 wins for Eddie.
Besides, I looked deep into his eyes and saw his soul !!
(That sounds gross) (but I did see him smiling)

spkngrl
01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I was surprised he was interviewed and said this was the least talented team he has ever coached. I am curious what his players/team thinks about that.

I wonder if he's including the high school basketball teams that he's coached in this as well...

gamagin
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
USF neeed a quick sub-coach and hit the jackpot with a hall of famer. Sutton had a reason to return. He said what it was. Nothing sinister.

He also went to work. I assume some of their "game" against us was a result of his coaching. He certainly called enough timeouts and gave a lot of advice.

I think the problem with criticizing someone for being sinister when in fact he was out front, is it makes the writer look bad. I know John B. well, have read him since he started, and have great admiration for him and his talent. I think this time he took the wrong angle and ran with it. It's his right.

If eddie were in denial (not the river in africa) over wanting to reach his milestone, that would be different. He might be taking advantage. But as i understand it, the USF coach was getting fired, he was asked and he took his place, short term, for his own reasons.

Probably to finish his own bucket list. but why do we care?

All I can add is I watched him in action. And I believe my own eyes.

I think USF is lucky to have him.

zagcheer78
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Watching the game I noticed a man who was eager to coach and impart his knowledge. If he was upfront about his temporary leadership then why criticize the man? I think they are fortunate to have him especially the players. They are going to learn alot of positive things from him. It would be great if he stayed with the team and it would be great for the WCC.

TrueLiz
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
I have been pretty indifferent about Eddie Sutton over the years, probably leaning more toward not liking him, and I'm not sure about his motives for going to USF right now, but I did have a positive observation. It seemed that his eyes have a lot more life and sparkle in them than they did before, and that he really seems to be in good health, which has to be from no more pain and no more painkillers/alcohol. He obviously made some bad choices, but I like to see him get a chance to redeem himself as well, and not leave his long coaching career the way things ended after the car accident. Even if he is just coaching for the record books, it did seem like he was in teaching mode in the game, far more than he had seemed to be the last number of seasons at Ok St, when it seemed like he was going through the motions, and already halfway out the door.

I wish him the best in this season and in his likely retirement after that...as long as he doesn't beat the Zags in San Francisco.

Birddog
01-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Many of you have noted how Eddie appears to be a "teacher" of the game, and that assessment is quite correct. I've talked to him, and he's a very laid back but engaging guy. He's super gracious, and has a good memory. I told him I was a Zag and he made on the mark comments that were neither shallow nor overly pollyanish. In the "classroom" he's not so laid back, he's a disciplinarian and he stresses fundamentals. He's much more relaxed these days than he was just 10 years ago though. Sutton is a tough love kind of coach. He has helped many inner city kids straighten out their lives and learn some of life's lessons through BB. Sure there have been some who fell through the cracks, but many continue the high praise of "Coach" long after they played for him. If you are old enough to remember, he's not unlike Gonzaga Prof Erwin Graue, who is/was held in pretty high esteem by just about anybody who ever took a class from him."There are no free lunches".

Birddog