• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SintoZag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

RPI Discrepancies

Sagarian has us at 49, Pom has us at 69 and CBS has us at 65(last on the list) so what gives. Where do we really stand in terms of the NCAA tourney? We are rated by on RPI guy at 49 which gives a fairly good chance of getting in. Another guy has use at 69 which put the tourney out of reach unless we win our conference tourney, I just don't get it. The other thing that bothers me is that I did not hear our name mentioned once on College game day this weekend. We were not mentioned in the last four in or the last four out list or as a bubble team. Does that mean they think we are in or does that mean we have no chance unless we win the tourney? I am so
  • lothar98zag
    PostPadder General
    • Feb 2007

1) Sagarin is not RPI, it's a totally different calculation.

2) From my experience CBS's RPI computations have always a been a bit off when compared w/ the other RPI's on the net. I don't know what they're doing wrong/differently, but I usually aviod their RPI #s.

3) As far as I can tell KenPom & ESPN insiderRPI are the same and match the NCAA's rankings. I haven't looked in a while, but I think CollegeRPI.com is good too (you need to pay to get up to the minute info). There may be other good sites out there, but KenPom has more info than I can use, so I usually don't go elsewhere.

4) GU isn't mentioned on TV much because they aren't in the Top 25 of either poll and their at-large chances are virtually zero, so unless the talking heads are addressing a specific game, GU probably isn't going to get much TV time.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

RPI won't matter if Zags win the Conf Tourney. . .

This might confuse you more: The Official NCAA RPI gets updated weekly; the link shows where the Zags were through Sunday according to the only RPI that matters. . .

Everybody else just has their "own" way of approximating the NCAA formula and becuase it makes great water cooler converation, they update it more frequently, e.g., daily.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• kdaleb
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by lothar98zag View Post
        but I think CollegeRPI.com is good too (you need to pay to get up to the minute info)
        Collegerpi.com is good, but only updates once a week for nonsubscribers. Subscribers get updated numbers daily. To give you an idea of Collegerpi.com's reliability, the NCAA checks their numbers against Collegerpi.com's numbers to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kdaleb View Post
          Collegerpi.com is good, but only updates once a week for nonsubscribers. Subscribers get updated numbers daily. To give you an idea of Collegerpi.com's reliability, the NCAA checks their numbers against Collegerpi.com's numbers to make sure they haven't made a mistake.
          Didn't know that about collegerpi.com, kdaleb, thanks for settin' me straight.

RZ
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
          X