PDA

View Full Version : Will tonights game be in HD?

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Apologize if I missed the answer in another thread or something...

I thought someone said last week that we won't have any broadcast in HD, but last Mondays game against Pepp WAS in HD, atleast for me...

Just hoping tonight will be as well.

Holla.

former1dog
01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Ask 229SintoZag.... :D

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Ask 229SintoZag.... :D

He will yell at me if I do.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Apologize if I missed the answer in another thread or something...

I thought someone said last week that we won't have any broadcast in HD, but last Mondays game against Pepp WAS in HD, atleast for me...

Just hoping tonight will be as well.

Holla.

You sure your TV wasn't on Zoom or something? I get both ESPN and the duece in HD (still waiting to get the ocho in HD) and the Pepp game was most assuredly NOT HD.

Woohoo... if you get it in HD tonight then seek help since even ESPN doesn't list it as being an HD game.

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
You sure your TV wasn't on Zoom or something? I get both ESPN and the duece in HD (still waiting to get the ocho in HD) and the Pepp game was most assuredly NOT HD.

Hmm, I sure thought it was clearer than usual... is it possible that it WASN'T HD, yet, clearer than the normal picture in a KHQ broadcast?

cjm720
01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
It's on ESPN HD, but my guess is that it won't be a full HD signal (you will see this if the screen is cropped on the sides, saying it's HD). I doubt full HD signal is the right terminology, but it's not as good as normal HD, but better than non-HD. This is how all our Monday ESPN games have been. Bummer, but at least we're on across the country (free recruiting!!!) and we get to watch.

GO ZAGS

former1dog
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
He will yell at me if I do.

Do you mean he'll type in ALL CAPS in response. ;)

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Do you mean he'll type in ALL CAPS in response. ;)

Exactly, and he will use mean smiley faces in his response.

Colbyspapa
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
I am guessing they are not using the high end HD cameras to film these games because as someone posted earlier, you get the 800 resolution rather then the 1200 on most of these big Monday games. However, it is scheduled to be on ESPN HD.

I will say that the USD game could have been the worst picture quality I have seen on a zag game in many years. FSN sure didn't send the A equipment to the Kennel.

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I am guessing they are not using the high end HD cameras to film these games because as someone posted earlier, you get the 800 resolution rather then the 1200 on most of these big Monday games. However, it is scheduled to be on ESPN HD.

I will say that the USD game could have been the worst picture quality I have seen on a zag game in many years. FSN sure didn't send the A equipment to the Kennel.

Ok, well I will take the 800 resolution over KHQ's pic ANY DAY!!! Haha. At one point, I had mistaken Pargo for Will Foster....that's some bad picture quality... :-)

NorthWestZag
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I did see camera trucks with the "HD" logo outside the MAC today. I don't know what that means for sure though. Maybe something else. The trucks I saw did not have the ESPN logo on them anywhere

GonzagaGurl08
01-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok, well I will take the 800 resolution over KHQ's pic ANY DAY!!! Haha. At one point, I had mistaken Pargo for Will Foster....that's some bad picture quality... :-)

If you were mistaking Pargo for Foster that is some bad picture quality. Not to mention, there is only 1 foot 2 inches height differential.

mtzaga
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
If Erin Andrews shows up as the sideline reporter, it is in HD.

sullyzag66
01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Hmm, I sure thought it was clearer than usual... is it possible that it WASN'T HD, yet, clearer than the normal picture in a KHQ broadcast?
It was a digital feed, but not true HD, so it was clearer than Standard Definition (SD). I think that's what we're getting tonight, as well.

BobZag
01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
It may not be in HD...

...but it is in K2.

:D

Rangerzag
01-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Did you change your brand of beverage??? ;) ;)

BoltZag
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
FSN sure didn't send the A equipment to the Kennel.

FSN didn't send any equipment to the Kennel. KHQ sent the equipment just like they do for every game.

As you can see from this (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=8642&highlight=BoltZag) thread, none of our remaining games, including the WCC tourney in San Diego, will be in HD.

You definitely did not see the Pepperdine game in HD since it wasn't broadcast in HD. Just because a logo on a truck has an HD moniker or the picture "looks clear" doesn't mean the signal is HD.

229SintoZag
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Exactly, and he will use mean smiley faces in his response.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you did not get the pepp game in HD. Neither did anyone else.

And it is not "800" or "1200," we are talking about here.

HD presently comes in three formats: 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

The p is for "progressive," the i is for "interlaced". Both refer to the way your set renders images, i.e., with a "progressive" scan or with image interlacing. Without getting to technical here, it is worth noting that standard definition signals are usually broadcast in 480i. (The 480 refers to the number of vertical lines of "pixels" in the picture). A SD DVD player with a digitial signal will often render the picure in 480p, which offers more clarity than normal, but not anywhere near what you get with a "true" HD signal like you get in either a 720p or 1080i broadcast. (Currently neither satellite nor cable provides HD in 1080p--the only place you can get that is in HD DVD or Blu Ray disc).

Now, as for our broadcasts, ESPNHD and ESPN2HD are channels that always broadcast what is on their counterpart (ESPN or ESPN2). The fact that a broadcast is on either of these channels tells us nothing, because ESPN can simply broadcast a weak SD signal on their HD channel. This is what they appear to have done for all WCC games this year, including (incredibly) the Memphis game.

You can check yourself to see if something is broadcast in HD by going to the ESPN programming link below and searching for the game in question. You will note that the games that are broadcast in HD have the little red "HD" logo in their allocated box in the listings. No Gonzaga game has this.

If you have any doubt about this, do yourself a favor and watch one of the Big East or Big 12 games on before the Gonzaga game to see what a game in true HD looks like. Compared to what we are getting it is night and day. For example, tonight before our USF game both the Cuse-Georgetown and Texas-Oklahoma State games are in true HD.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

If you compare the picture you get there to the one you will later get from Spokane, you will see the difference clearly. (Woo hoo, this is assuming you have an HDTV, and an HD source--either cable or satellite--that is delivering the signal to you in HD).

Hope this helps. Bottom line is that GU is still getting shafted by ESPN. I emailed ESPN a week ago asking for an explanation for this abomination and have yet to get a response.

BoltZag
01-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I emailed ESPN a week ago asking for an explanation for this abomination and have yet to get a response.

And you won't. On the off-chance you do, it will be a form letter.

I'll say it again, ESPN couldn't care less about your opinion on their HD broadcasting...they have a certain number of HD-capable trucks to allocate to each game each week. Many arrive 3 days before the game to prep graphics, etc. They will not send one all the way out west (they don't keep ANY west of Denver) for one game in Spokane, WA that reaches .00000001% of the population at midnight EST.

Do you read other people's posts or just tune them out and post whatever is on your mind? This has been explained in at least 3 million other posts by me and others.

NJZag
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
It may not be in HD...

...but it is in K2.

:D

... and I'm in a non-killer time zone (for a change) to watch it. :D (Eat yer heart out, LIZF!!!)

Both the technical explanation and the HD on the Hoyas was wunnerful, 229, but not as wunnerful as the 1 point win in OT as that final 'cuse desperation shot rimmed out. :clap:

treehorn
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Is there a way I can jiggle the coathanger on my TV so that I can get tonight's game in HD?

Colbyspapa
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks Sinto. That is an excellent description. I knew I didn't have the resolution right. I really should read the book on this freakin TV...

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Sinto. That is an excellent description. I knew I didn't have the resolution right. I really should read the book on this freakin TV...

Ditto, Thanks Sinto

229SintoZag
01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
And you won't. On the off-chance you do, it will be a form letter.

I'll say it again, ESPN couldn't care less about your opinion on their HD broadcasting...they have a certain number of HD-capable trucks to allocate to each game each week. Many arrive 3 days before the game to prep graphics, etc. They will not send one all the way out west (they don't keep ANY west of Denver) for one game in Spokane, WA that reaches .00000001% of the population at midnight EST.

Do you read other people's posts or just tune them out and post whatever is on your mind? This has been explained in at least 3 million other posts by me and others.

Yes I read other people's posts. Sorry to burst your bubble, but neither your post nor any other post answers my question. It may indeed be true that ESPN only has so many HD trucks. So what? The solution is to buy more. They have a contract to broadcast these games.

I have yet to get an actual explanation from your or anyone else as to why ESPN--the "worldwide leader in sports," can't simply get HD equipment to games it broadcasts regularly. Big Monday is a weekly event in the college hoops season. They should be broadcast in HD by now.

If this were Fox Sports I would not expect HD. But ESPN is another story. And last I checked Memphis is east of Denver--why no HD truck there Saturday, tough guy? What's the explanation for that omission? I must have missed that in your "3 million" epic and erudite posts on this issue. Forgive me please.