PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga,

freezer12
02-27-2007, 08:56 AM
You're welcome. We hope you like the shiny, blue first place medal we gave to you.

Love,

Santa Clara

P.S. I wouldn't count out these Broncos yet. Here's to a meeting one week from today. I personally, want to go through GU to get to the tourney. It's the only legit way.

GoZags
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks but your wish for the rubber match one week from today is kinda like your season thus far. A day late and a dollar short.

BobZag
02-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Gaels are rolling.

wazZag
02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks but your wish for the rubber match one week from today is kinda like your season thus far. A day late and a dollar short.
:)

lothar98zag
02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Last time I checked, the WCC season was 14 games long, not 12...

But I will admit that losing to LMU was a nice gesture in that it allowed GU a chance to tie for the league title. But losing to Pep, well...

NJZag
02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
You're welcome. We hope you like the shiny, blue first place medal we gave to you.

Love,

Santa Clara

P.S. I wouldn't count out these Broncos yet. Here's to a meeting one week from today. I personally, want to go through GU to get to the tourney. It's the only legit way.

You may get your wish, oh fair little #2 seeded one. :D

McZag
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
As with all things in life, banners and trophies are earned not given. The Zags earned their title with wins this week. SCU forfeited theirs with losses. Nothing was given by SCU, just not taken.

Whoever wins Monday will win the title and the bid legitimately. The best teams in the league each year are always in the championship game. That's the tournament's purpose.

ZagDaddy
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
GU did the only thing they could do: take care of the games they were playing. Sure, they kinda backed into the regular season title thanks to an SCU meltdown but so it goes.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about SCU losing. I think we are likely to see a refocused, determined, senior laden team in the tourney. I would rather have faced them in the finals (assuming both schools get there) without them having lost on Monday.

We may have won the regular season title, but our task of getting to the Big Dance may have just gotten more difficult.

roxdoc
02-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm with you Zagdaddy.

hegotit!
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Freezer too bad you guys didn't take care of business. You guys had control of your own destiny, how can you come on here and say you handed it to us.

Man it's gonna be sweet when we break your hearts come Monday night. Thats if you make it there.

beatProgram
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Freezer too bad you guys didn't take care of business. You guys had control of your own destiny, how can you come on here and say you handed it to us.

Man it's gonna be sweet when we break your hearts come Monday night. Thats if you make it there.

Yikes... ad one to the horribly bad karma pile.

We have to get there too you know.

gamagin
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened, but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. - Robert Louis Stevenson.

This team is just so damned good on so many levels. And this is supposed to be a transition year.

Each is improving at the accelerated clip he has been asked to improve. And we have yet to reach the end of the bench where it is likely, there are very talented athletes waiting for their chance to step up and perform.

It's been great fun. A great journey of 1,000 steps. At their own private pace.

zagcheer78
02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Amen,Gamagin:) !!

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 12:57 PM
GU did the only thing they could do: take care of the games they were playing. Sure, they kinda backed into the regular season title thanks to an SCU meltdown but so it goes.

Uhhhhh...winning two games on the road w key players sick doesn't strike me as backing into anything

Personally, I have mixed feelings about SCU losing. I think we are likely to see a refocused, determined, senior laden team in the tourney. I would rather have faced them in the finals (assuming both schools get there) without them having lost on Monday.

We may have won the regular season title, but our task of getting to the Big Dance may have just gotten more difficult.

The more difficult it is for the Zags to get to the Big Dance the better prepared they will be to make some noise on the dance floor!

RebornZag
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I believe it. And also the most deserving team. That's just my opinion. I also believe it doesn't matter in this conference who we (or you) play because (like coach Mark Few said) "the rest of the games will all be just like this one." (He was referring to our San Francisco game in overtime). I am glad he wants the team to be thinking that way because it's the truth. This league is better then many people know. Just ask Santa Clara. Playing Santa Clara in the tournament will be no more difficult then Playing USF, or Loyola Marymount, Portland, Pepperdine or St. Mary's or San Diego....I have no idea who we will play...but one thing I do know....they will be the toughest team on that day for GU to beat>>>>Period!!!

ZagDaddy
02-27-2007, 04:27 PM
The only way we could win the conference title was for us to win our last two AND for SCU to lose their last 2 games. If SCU doesn't meltdown and we still win our 2 on the road we don't win the regular season title. That equals backing into the title, IMO.

As I originally stated, we did what we had to this weekend and that is great but without some luck we'd be in second place. Compare this with, say, last year's title. No last weekend luck needed there to secure the title.

Bulldog
02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Just exactly how many top 25 teams did SCU play?
Even if you were to get lucky enough to get in the dance, it would one and done.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freezer12
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Steve Nash and the 15th seed Broncos. Ask Lute. Ask Jesse Evans.

We have to get there first. Then we'll see what happens.

Law Zag In Training
02-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Steve Nash and the 15th seed Broncos. Ask Lute. Ask Jesse Evans.

We have to get there first. Then we'll see what happens.

You tend to win when you have Steve Nash on your team.

However:

Steve Nash > Parasiau + Denison + Steve Francis + Starbury + ... (you get the idea)

[and yes, I know and do not care that Dan.P's name is not correct)

NJZag
02-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Just exactly how many top 25 teams did SCU play?
Even if you were to get lucky enough to get in the dance, it would one and done.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCU played two ... while GU played 4.

http://www.kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Santa%20Clara

With the WCC enjoying an SOS of #1 for its out-of-conference schedule, you can't fault most of the WCC teams about stepping up to take on some challenge. (Three had ooc schedules in triple digits, while the rest were double digit cumulatively ... not bad at all.) Problem is that tough games played on the road at opponents' home courts are hard to win. So the collective RPI of the conference took a hit.

I followed the Broncs' Kentucky game at Rupp on Gametracker, and it was closer than the final score indicated.

The Madness of March is that anything can happen.

Just ask George Mason. :D