PDA

View Full Version : The Good and The Bad

BobZag
01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
A very good first 30 minutes with only one brief 1st-half lapse, followed by a horrid 10 minutes when the Zags just flat-out stopped playing. Up by 22 and the guys go into a coma. Weird. Zero killer instinct.

38 turnovers in the last two games, most unforced. Sorry but that sucks.

Oh well.

Worst effort ever by The Kennel Club but we've seen that movie before.

Good to see Micah w/o his thumb taped up; he played better too. Gray played great at times then looked like a frosh other times. Matt was steady but had 7 turnovers. Blech. Pargo still looks slowed by his back, especially on D. Pendo was pretty solid.

The Kennel was as dead and morgue-like as I've ever seen it, and it felt like the malaise gradually permeated the team. I mean, it was like nap time in there today. Who handed out the free Valium? lol.

Anyway, a bit of regression today, imo. But the guys were 30 points better than San Diego, got it up to a 22 point lead, but like so many times before (this year and previous years), blowing that lead and winning by 10 in very lackluster form. *sigh*

I'll take the W. Happily. The win should've been more dominating, though.

14-4.

Memphis will be #1 and undefeated when the Zags go there.

Pray for us. :pray:

On a personal note: Great to see Bong Krosby again, and his son. I met Zagaholic and he and his two friends got themselves tickets!

I'm glad we didn't suffer the same fate as UNC, UCLA, Texas A&M, Pitt, Ole Miss.........................

ZagNative
01-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Phew! We escaped the wrath of BZ today! I think we dodged a bullet, folks, in being spared a whipping before bedtime, especially when our squad did (and didn't do) so much to inspire BZ's wrath. Looks like the Kennel Club members weren't the only ones to load up on the Valium for today's game.

Thanks, BZ.

MickMick
01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Turnovers are acceptable (to a degree) in an up tempo game (not 38 in two games though). In fact...they are expected in an up tempo game. It is the slow tempo games against the likes of WSU and Butler where the turnovers are killers. Every possession is so critical.

BobZag
01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
If the Zags come out Monday night and trash USF by 30, then I'm totally okay with today's game. I think Gonzaga took its foot off the gas just a bit today and that threw the team's rhythm outta whack and allowed USD to get some confidence.

Again, stall tactics, however subtle, are like prevent defenses in football: completely counter-productive.

We'll all see if Few chews a$$ tonight/tomorrow when the Zags tip it off Monday. My guess: Few ain't too happy.

:)

zagcheer78
01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Another strange game. There seems to be something not quite right with our team. I know that in the past the second half cliff hangers were the norm but this is different. I'm sure our coaches and players are trying to figure this out too.
We have the Memphis game comming up and I am curious to see which Gonzaga team shows up. I hope it is the "A" team.

MickMick
01-19-2008, 05:20 PM
We gotta give credit to San Diego as well. There was no quit in that team. They refused to be embarrased. They have a lot of pride. I admire the team for that.

This is a program we really need to be concerned about in the coming years. Grier is building a good foundation and we got a glimpse of the future today. It starts with the attitude.

bzzz61
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
We gotta give credit to San Diego as well. There was no quit in that team. They refused to be embarrased. They have a lot of pride. I admire the team for that.

This is a program we really need to be concerned about in the coming years. Grier is building a good foundation and we got a glimpse of the future today. It starts with the attitude.

I've gladly taken my seat on the "lack of killer instinct" band wagon but San Diego and their refusal to quit should not be overlooked here. They never gave up and made it a game all the way through. I'm looking forward to competing against them in the upcoming seasons.

Zag79
01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
considering grier knows us inside and out, pargo is still hurt and some of the guys are not feeling well, ill take a win over a conference foe. cut out the tos and sloppy play after we got up on em big and its a blow out. heres to more ball control monday!

seasontixholder
01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Despite how it looked toward the end, the players knew that the outcome was never in doubt. When they had to make the stops, they easily did it. In toto, this game was an advance, not a retreat.

They completely dominated SD when the game was competitive. Also, Gray showed a better grip of the defense.

But best of all, the rotation was pared down to the players that will be the core from here on out. A positive development among all the other positives.

Sometimes game-endings like this are frustrating in that they could send a message to the other team that they indeed can play with the superior squad at home. But in this case it won't matter. By that time GU will be even more dominating. You watch.

MickMick
01-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Despite how it looked toward the end, the players knew that the outcome was never in doubt. When they had to make the stops, they easily did it. In toto, this game was an advance, not a retreat.

They completely dominated SD when the game was competitive. Also, Gray showed a better grip of the defense.

But best of all, the rotation was pared down to the players that will be the core from here on out. A positive development among all the other positives.

Sometimes game-endings like this are frustrating in that they could send a message to the other team that they indeed can play with the superior squad at home. But in this case it won't matter. By that time GU will be even more dominating. You watch.

Good points. I agree with many of them. The Zags did let it get closer than they should have, but stepped up when they had to. I also believe that when Brandon Johnson became gassed, the San Diego hopes were gassed as well. His accuracy definately took a fatigue hit in the final 2 minutes or so.

Zag 77
01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Got sloppy there too. If we make a few more free throws it would have been time for the bench to play the last couple of minutes. Instead we let USD keep hanging around

CDC84
01-19-2008, 10:03 PM
If Gonzaga turns the ball over against Memphis like they did the last two games, they will be blown out of Fed Ex Forum.

This game totally reminded me of the UGA game. Zags had a chance to apply the knockout punch early and didn't, and then got turnover happy near the end to make the game more interesting than it needed to be.

I wasn't too happy with USD making 45% of their 3 balls and shooting 43% from the floor. 43% is their season average. They haven't played a ton of heavy hitter opponents this season.

ZagMania
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not too concerned. I loved our play to start off and we put up 46 points in the first half. We've been starting red hot in the last two games which is a nice changeup from some sloppy starts. Individually, I liked how everyone played today save for the turnovers.

I do not think we are going to have to worry about killer instinct when it comes to facing the #1 team in the nation.

USD deserves some credit, Brandon Johnson is a terrific player. They are going to be a handful next year returning him and Pomare.

BongKrosby
01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Yesterday was a sign of what we will see the rest of the year, I believe. Coach has decided on an 8 1/2 man rotation with Ira being the 1/2. Sacre and Larry seem to be the odd guys out for now.

My second day in the new Kennel yesterday was a little sleepy I would say. Blame it on the early start time. I actually saw more than a couple empty seats in my area.

I wonder if David would be recruited by us today? My guess is he'd be asked to walk on. Do teams recruit glue players? I guess it is pretty hard when you can only bring in 2 or 3 guys a year to have the vision of needing a guy to do the dirty work when he is a senior.

Nice to see BobZag and some other familiar faces. The new facility is a treat.

deathchina
01-20-2008, 07:45 AM
"I wonder if David would be recruited by us today? My guess is he'd be asked to walk on. Do teams recruit glue players? I guess it is pretty hard when you can only bring in 2 or 3 guys a year to have the vision of needing a guy to do the dirty work when he is a senior."

With all due respect, this comment is pretty uninformed. David Pendergraft participated in the Nike All-American camp for two years in high school. He was rated the 20th best small forward in the USA by scout.com, and an elite 4 star recruit. He was rated one of the top 150 high school basketball players by rivals.com. He was a well known entity in high school and could have easily gone to BCS schools had GU not locked him up relatively early. He is NOT a "diamond in the rough" that GU "discoverd", nor is he anyone that would have ever considered walking on.

Gonzaga wasn't thinking "great, we got a nice glue guy who can contribute as a senior" when Pendo signed. They were thinking, "great, we signed an elite small forward".

For what it's worth, Pendo was a higher rated prospect (according to scout.com) than Jeremy Pargo, Larry Gurganious, Bob Sacre, Stephen Gray, Derek Raivio, and Ammo.

Zag79
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
great points DC! for an nba guy your sure know your college hoops too. ;)