PDA

View Full Version : Tourney thoughts????

TM27
02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
With GU winning the league last night, do they still need to win out to make the dance?

IMO, the only way we get in is with an automatic bid; however, what if we lose a close championship game - do you think that we are deserving of a spot? Have we done enough this year to get an at-large?

former1dog
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Auto bid or NIT....

Just win, baby!

CDC84
02-27-2007, 08:17 AM
With Santa Clara losing to LMU and Pepperdine, Gonzaga must win the WCC tourney to get in. If you took a poll of every analyst out there, Hubert Davis might be the only person to think otherwise....that's not a good sign.

As another poster said, if GU doesn't win the WCC tourney, they probably don't deserve to get in anyway. They only have to win 2 games, they have the top seed, and they are playing at the best on campus site there is for GU to play at besides K2....Portland.

kdaleb
02-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Auto bid or NIT....
Just win, baby!
Former speaks the truth. We are entering zero margin, no excuse time. I honestly don't think you can objectively put the Zags in the Dance without a WCC tourney win -- too many ?? losses, too many losses period, and not enough good to great wins to balance the negatives off. One can argue that many of the negatives were the result of the brutal Dec schedule, but that still falls back on the institution's shoulders.

CDC84
02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Gonzaga will be judged without Heytvelt in the mix. Gonzaga doesn't beat North Carolina, Texas, or Stanford without him....the committee knows that.

wazZag
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
I certainly wouldn't want to see us hanging our hat on an auto-bid. I'm sure many outsiders have questions about GU re: lack of interior presence and how that would hurt them in the tourney.

23dpg
02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I think it's not out of the question if we lose a tough game in the finals. I'm not saying it will happen, or even that it's likely, but it's possible depending on what happens in the BCS confs.

If GU loses in a hard-fought game, I put the odds at 33% of making the tourney. I actually think the Memphis loss helped show the committee that GU is still tough without Josh.

That being said, winning is the only sure bet.

TexasZagFan
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM

The only way there are two bids coming out of the WCC tournament is if SCU and GU go six overtimes, and the winning shot is from half-court to win with a final of 143-142.

I'd never survive to see the end of a game like that...I'd have cardiac arrest in the middle of the 5th overtime.

23dpg
02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
The only way there are two bids coming out of the WCC tournament is if SCU and GU go six overtimes

The committee really doesn't look at how many schools come from what confs. Each school is judged on its own merits.

adoptedzag
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM

The only way there are two bids coming out of the WCC tournament is if SCU and GU go six overtimes, and the winning shot is from half-court to win with a final of 143-142.

I'd never survive to see the end of a game like that...I'd have cardiac arrest in the middle of the 5th overtime.

I agree. I can barely stand 1 overtime, much less 6.

gamagin
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I predict a healthier, spirited GU will win this tourney and look better than it has as a team in the process. And they have looked great, shown more consistency and persistance, in sickness and in health, .

However, worst case scenario, if it somehow didn't win the WCC tourney (mostly flu might hobble us, methinks, or more untimely injuries, not unraveling), it would still get a bid.

GU has earned its reputation. It is well known. Respected. And, perhaps more than anything, GU's style & story have caught on throughout the nation, GU makes for great television, great box office. Ratings. Excitement. Classic matchups. Competition. Reruns.

Everyone agrees. I've seen espn classics featuring GU playing in Europe & Japan. I gave a hotel clerk my GU hat in Japan. He only knew two words of english: "John Stockton!"

GU has become the small school ambassadors of what people love about college bkb. They want them in. They don't want their favorite team to play GU, at least early on, however. GU is also known as a spoiler.

Sports TV loves the Zags and the top teams hold them in high regard as opponents. Other players respect them, too. Most want to beat them so they can get their proper respect. No matter what their won-loss record is, there is going to be a war.

The Zags can and have upset alot of apple carts over the past seven seasons. This year is no exception. Sure, there could have been more. but the point is they are dangerous. Unpredictable.

Every game could be a classic. We know it. They know it.

Everyone wants to see a warrior dance.

Nevtelen
02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I think the chance of us getting an at-large is about 10% or so. I mean, they did let in Air Force last year (for example), but we're pretty far on the bad side of the bubble.

RenoZag
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
If the Zags don't win the auto-bid and are subsequently left off the Big Dance card, it will certainly send a message re: playing a tough OOC schedule. Last time I looked, the Zags OOC schedule was the 5th toughest in the nation. . .should GU end up 22 -11 and on the outside looking in, I for one will be bitterly disappointed. I'll understand the logic behind the decision, but disappointed nonetheless. . .

brasszag
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I think it'd clearly send the message to non-BCS schools to "not get uppity" and enjoy taking what the committee is giving - because no matter how bubble you were OOC, your IC is all that matters.

The sum body of work of this GU team is still great, and with or without Josh we can still play some ball.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to see us hanging our hat on an auto-bid. I'm sure many outsiders have questions about GU re: lack of interior presence and how that would hurt them in the tourney.

I'd love to see us hanging our hat on an auto-bid.....and agree w most everyone else on this thread that an at-large bid is not something we can hang out hats on.

jayray
02-27-2007, 12:53 PM
If the Zags don't win the auto-bid and are subsequently left off the Big Dance card, it will certainly send a message re: playing a tough OOC schedule. Last time I looked, the Zags OOC schedule was the 5th toughest in the nation. . .should GU end up 22 -11 and on the outside looking in, I for one will be bitterly disappointed. I'll understand the logic behind the decision, but disappointed nonetheless. . .

What good is a tough OOC schedule if you don't win your games? You have to win some of your games to make it play in your advantage. One more win was probably all it would have taken.

rawkmandale
02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
It's ridiculous to think that Gonzaga is weak without Heytvelt, when Downs has come on so strong, Kuso is improving and cutting down on fouls, and Pendo is looking to score. We already had great guard play (SO IMPORTANT in the tournament).

It helped that Downs got 20 points last night (that is a magic line). We should send e-mails to every media hack, athletic director, and coach in the country saying "hey, did you see that former McDonald's All America Micah Downs, a transfer from mighty Kansas, scored 20 for Gonzaga on Monday in a game that won their 7th consecutive regular season championship? They don't miss that Heytvelt guy at all, especially with their great guards!"

Someone should add some juicy quotes from the Memphis coach (he said some very nice things about GU after they survived playing us), and get the word out!

Come on, help communicate the truth. I think we would deserve an at-large. Don't you?

john montana
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
i think they should get in regardless of the tournament, though i don't think the committe would agree. they've had enough big wins to prove their worth, and should be rewarded for not pulling a UCONN in the scheduling department. if GU needs and does not get an at large bid (just win!) i'll be anxious to see who they choose ahead of them.

wazZag
02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I'd love to see us hanging our hat on an auto-bid.....and agree w most everyone else on this thread that an at-large bid is not something we can hang out hats on.

As I'm sure you could tell, that was a typo. I don't think we should be hanging our hat on an at large bid.

Zag84
02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
It's ridiculous to think that Gonzaga is weak without Heytvelt, when Downs has come on so strong, Kuso is improving and cutting down on fouls, and Pendo is looking to score. We already had great guard play (SO IMPORTANT in the tournament).

It helped that Downs got 20 points last night (that is a magic line). We should send e-mails to every media hack, athletic director, and coach in the country saying "hey, did you see that former McDonald's All America Micah Downs, a transfer from mighty Kansas, scored 20 for Gonzaga on Monday in a game that won their 7th consecutive regular season championship? They don't miss that Heytvelt guy at all, especially with their great guards!"

Someone should add some juicy quotes from the Memphis coach (he said some very nice things about GU after they survived playing us), and get the word out!

Come on, help communicate the truth. I think we would deserve an at-large. Don't you?

Rawkmandale you are exactly right. JH has been replaced with Micah's points, and Kuso's rebounding. The guys getting additional playing time are stepping up. In the tournament guard play is most important. It's a better looking team from my view.

roxdoc
02-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Absolutely correct Zag84, PLUS now we have the chemistry and cohesiveness that we didn't, for somer reason, have up until 3 weeks ago. What point differential did that take form us before and give to us now?

RebornZag
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
because that is what I believe, but the most important thing for a team on the bubble is to win the tournament and get the automatic bid. We deserve to go because of our OOC wins. As to whether we're as good a team without Josh Heytvelt? On paper, No!!! On the court, YES!!! but when there are so many GU fans who don't believe that, how can one expect the rest of the country to believe it. Earlier when this question was raised (whether we're as good without Josh) I said that if we won the last two road games on the road then, IMO, we were!!! We were not able to do that with Josh on the team (losing to Loyola Marymount).

The thing that irritates me is that most teams in every conference who will be "getting in" have at least one and most all have two "bad" losses in their conference and especially on the road. I would put the Loyola Marymount game in that category. Yet, Gonzaga would be penalized (or any team in the WCC) for that when BCS schools are not. I believe there's a certain unfairness in that thinking. Conference games, regardless of the conference being mid-major or major, have always been very tough games, and I think this year more then any. Here's just a few examples: Florida losing to LSU. Air Force losing to Utah and TCU, UNLV losing to Wyoming. I can find many more but no need. Hopefully you get the idea.

However, I would NOT leave it up to getting an at-large bid. I don't want one. Who NEEDS IT. We are the best team in this conference and I just want to go out and prove it. I want us to go into the NCAA tournament with a five game win streak, a nice roll, and do some damage because I truly believe we can. These major university basketball teams are way OVER-RATED this year. If there's a year we could go deep into the tournament again it's this year. So let's just win the WCC tournament (which we will).:) :) :)

Bulldog
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Just win the next two games and go to the dance and beat the lowest seed they can possibly give us the first game.

TexasZagFan
02-27-2007, 05:17 PM
i think they should get in regardless of the tournament, though i don't think the committe would agree. they've had enough big wins to prove their worth, and should be rewarded for not pulling a UCONN in the scheduling department. if GU needs and does not get an at large bid (just win!) i'll be anxious to see who they choose ahead of them.

With their win over Georgetown, the press is starting to drop hints that Syracuse is back on the bubble.

This is a team that left the state of New York ONCE in nonconference play, and they pretty much do that every year.

Still, the mantra should be "win the tournament".

SunDevilGolfZag
02-27-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree we probably need to win the WCC tourney to get in. On the other hand, shouldn't we get a bid over, say a Stanford (or even an Arizona), depending on how their last two league games shake out.