PDA

View Full Version : New wrinkle on an old enigma

229SintoZag
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
We are all familiar with the old pseudo-quandary that if a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Without getting into that debate, I fear that because of my pompous attitude and sometime verbosity I may be looking at a similar fate here. Some others may as well, I will let them be the judge based on the level of vitriol on their respective ezinboxes, which I hope is lower than that in mine.

These boards, unlike our prior home, have an "ignore" feature. A cyber means of, figuratively, putting on sound-proof earmuffs in this new forest we inhabit as Zag fans online. But so far as I can tell, there is no way to tell if someone has chosen to ignore me. (Correct me if I am wrong).

Ergo, there is also no way to tell if EVERYONE has chosen to ignore all my posts. And if that happened, I could be merrily posting and replying to threads in this forum, fancying myself a true fan and a unique basketball guru and wit, yet all the while unwittingly engaged in a new form of e-solipsism I suppose, and I would never know it.

Anyone else out there afraid to think that they may just be typing messages out there for nobody in cyyberZagland to read? Anyone else out there kind of unnerved at how pathetic such a practice would be, if true?

Which raises another question: do we post to speak, or to be heard?

And if there were some poor ####### out there who managed to make every single "ignore" list--would he know it? Should he know it?

Interesting philosophical and ethical quandaries arise from the simple "ignore" feature.

Discuss.

dawgncarolina
02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Maybe it was just me...

madzag
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
This already occurred to me Sinto...I've never been bothered by your posts so I'll make you a deal. I'll keep reading your posts if you don't put me on your ignore list...that way we both know someone will be reading our posts :)

ZagSlug
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I haven't used my brain since college back in the early 90's.

You bring up a good point. Do you propose that we should try this on someone and monitor the events and their growing despair and paranoia?

El Voce
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
229 -- Nah, I don't ignore you, even if you were a butt about the Bunnies. When you reach an advanced age like I have, you don't worry if anyone is listening to you, you're just happy to have the chance to say what's on your mind. If someone listens, that's just a pure bonus.

zag69
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
We can always use the Reputation system to let folks know our response to their posts...the upper right-hand corner of the message box, click on the scales next to the post number. Then click on the button for approve or disapprove, and include a message for the recipient. It is a useful system, as long as the messages are not too negative (which I hope they won't be here).

dawgncarolina
02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Did you age 10 years during the board switch?

kdoggy
02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
hahaha...how ya been? I have been meaning to watch your neighbor from Bainbridge.

AgZag05
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
i guess you will know if no one replies to your post.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-05-2007, 10:09 PM
This message is hidden because 229SintoZag is on your ignore list.

lothar98zag
02-05-2007, 11:04 PM
FWIW, I don't plan on putting anyone on my ignore list.

Now to your point - it would be nice if somewhere in you control panel you could see how many people were ignoring you (don't need names, just a total) but since we don't have that, I guess the rep system that Zag69 mentioned is the best thing we have right now...

Happy posting everyone!

Ikancagin
02-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Regarding tree falling in the forest question, if no one was there, how do you know the tree fell?

Zag79
02-06-2007, 07:24 AM
i agree sinto. IMO the ignore button ruins a message board. if you dont like someones posts, dont read them. but someone shouldnt have to wonder if they are wasting there time typing things people are not seeing anyway. just my 2 cents.

PeninsulaDog
02-06-2007, 07:30 AM
I post, therefore I am.

RebornZag
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
There will always be people in any society who just can't handle anyone who thinks or dares to speak in a way that is foreign or different to themself. Obviously, these people can't handle a free society, and I would say that letting them post here is an act of tolerance, kindness, love and justice. I don't think we need a list at all, or a place to post who they are. They are as harmless as a knat. They now have a little toy that should keep them happy for awhile.

ZagNative
02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I rest my case.

zag69
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Did you age 10 years during the board switch?

Nope, I've always been a '69er. You're mistaking me for that youngster zag79. I'm older, though likely not wiser.

RebornZag
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow!!! I'm shocked you read my post ZagNative!!!

I rest my case!!!:) :D ;) :rolleyes:

dawgncarolina
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I *heart* knats

mendiant
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Please refer to ZagNative's heart rending post regarding Spell check...

It's "gnats" not "knats".

At least I'm not ignoring you. :D

love,
mendiant

ZagNative
02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I *heart* knats

DNC, range wars were started on the old Zags Scout board for lesser observations. http://www.phog.tv/images/emoticons/boxer.gif.

Yes, indeedy, the ignore button is your friend. Timber!

dawgncarolina
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
People need to have a sense of humor. It's a funny typo, nothing more, nothing less.

Zag79
02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Nope, I've always been a '69er. You're mistaking me for that youngster zag79. I'm older, though likely not wiser.

maybe a lil bit 69'... :D

SintoZag
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
I always make a point to read 229's post's mainly becaue I lived at 229 Sinto for my senior year. I guess that really has no bearing on your ability to write a good post, although they are more thoughtfull than my own, which is evidenced by this post. 229, did you know that several GU basketball players have lived in that house?

RebornZag
02-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I think knats is a good word to misspell, because although not all that harmful they do irritate you now don't they?:D Maybe I was a gnat in a previous life and I'm trying to work out all that Karma stuff.:)

dawgncarolina
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I think knats is a good word to misspell, because although not all that harmful they do irritate you now don't they?:D Maybe I was a gnat in a previous life and I'm trying to work out all that Karma stuff.:)Knats would be a great nickname for an intramural team or fantasy league team, non sexual innuendo division.

mendiant
02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I think knats is a good word to misspell, because although not all that harmful they do irritate you now don't they?:D Maybe I was a gnat in a previous life and I'm trying to work out all that Karma stuff.:)

LOL, your reasoning is odd...I like it.

gamagin
02-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I have placed my ignore button on ignore. I hope it doesn't ignore me if I change my mind.

kitzbuel
02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Who woulda thunk. There is a knat website. Its about nuisance reduction :p

http://knat.org/