PDA

View Full Version : Meehan Notes and Preview of San Diego

ZagNative
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
First, some interesting tidbits from Meehan's notes (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6913):

--Pargo practiced part-time Wednesday and appeared to be moving around pretty well. He still has soreness and some fluid in his lower back.

Pargo's 324 career assists are tied for fifth with Geoff Goss. Derek Raivio is fourth at 356.

--David Pendergraft needs 50 rebounds to reach the 500-point/500-rebound club. He has 595 career points.

--Will Foster has been bothered by a sore back for a while and is undergoing tests, Few said. Few is checking into the redshirt rules, but believed Foster was still eligible to redshirt.

--Gonzaga's consecutive 90-point games last week marked the third straight season they've accomplished the feat. GU's 25 assists vs. Loyola Marymount was its most since having 26 against Portland State in the 2004-05 season opener.

Preview follows...

For 16 years as a Gonzaga assistant coach, Bill Grier wondered how it would feel to be the head coach of the opposing team, first in the old Kennel and later at the McCarthey Athletic Center, which opened in 2004.

Today, he’ll go from wondering about it to experiencing it as he guides San Diego (8-10, 1-0 WCC) into a 1 p.m. showdown with Gonzaga (13-4, 2-0).

“It’s just going to be hard to go in there as an opponent after spending 16 years on the side that won a lot of games,” said Grier, USD’s first-year head coach. “It’ll be a little bit emotional because I care for those kids, helped recruit some of them and coached them. And you throw in the (coaching) staff, which I’m very close with and people around the university that I got to know in my 16 years. It’s just odd. It’ll probably feel weird until about a minute into the game.”

Asked what he did with his Gonzaga gear after taking the San Diego job, Grier’s answer wasn’t surprising. “I gave a lot of the stuff that was still in packages to Ray – we’re pretty much the same size,” he said.

Grier and Few, Gonzaga’s head coach the last nine years, stay in touch regularly and have talked a couple times this week.

“Leading into it, it’s awful strange,” Few said, “but once the game starts, it’s just another game.”

Regarding the challenge Gonzaga’s lineup presents, Grier joked, “Which five? Their starting five or their next five? They’re pretty deep. They seem to be hitting their stride. Josh (Heytvelt) is playing better and looks more comfortable and Steven (Gray) has a chance to be a very good guard. It’ll be difficult challenge for us to handle them.”
Read the rest of the blog here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6913).

El Voce
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, I would certainly hope that all the folks who were jumping all over Few's a$$ for not playing Foster feel as silly as they should right now.

Only the coaches know what goes on in practice. Only the coaches know who should be playing major minutes, and who shouldn't be. Only the coaches (and training staff) know who is injured and how serious the injuries are. It is time for all the coach wannabes who populate (and oft times pollute) this board to back off and be content to let our excellent staff run this team.

ZagNative
01-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Right there with you, EV! But if you think the subject of Will's playing time won't come up again ... oh, dear, dear boy... :(

Still, we'll be ready for 'em, won't we? http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_aufsmaul.gif

Nevtelen
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM
If Will can get the redshirt, it would be the best of all possible worlds IMO - he got a little PT, showed his great potential, and also gets more time to develop into what we'll need the next couple of seasons.

ZagNative
01-19-2008, 06:27 AM
From the blog ...

The Toreros pose problems for Gonzaga, as well. Center Gyno Pomare is one of the WCC’s best low-post players and earlier this season joined the school’s 1,000-career point club. Point guard Brandon Johnson, All-WCC honorable mention last season, had consecutive 27-point games against Kentucky and Marshall. He’s been battling a deep thigh contusion for a couple of weeks and Grier said Johnson “isn’t quite 100 percent yet.”
It's hard to believe these guys are only juniors! They've been pestering Zags for what seems like a very long time, as seen here ..

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Errol/2006-01-21ErrolSanDiego_2.jpg
"Gonzaga's Errol Knight, center, tries to hold on to
the ball as San Diego's Gyno Pomare, left, Nir Cohen (34)
and Brandon Johnson (4) try to steal the ball during
the first half of their college basketball game Saturday,
Jan. 21, 2006 in San Diego."

bzzz61
01-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Well, I would certainly hope that all the folks who were jumping all over Few's a$$ for not playing Foster feel as silly as they should right now.

Only the coaches know what goes on in practice. Only the coaches know who should be playing major minutes, and who shouldn't be. Only the coaches (and training staff) know who is injured and how serious the injuries are. It is time for all the coach wannabes who populate (and oft times pollute) this board to back off and be content to let our excellent staff run this team.

As someone who was frustrated over the lack of PT for Will, the sore back definitely helps to explain it. For some reason, a college AD just hasn't called me yet to coach their team. I wonder why :)

Once and Future Zag
01-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I watched the Kentucky USD game and while Pomare didn't particularly stand out - Brandon Johnson is a top-notch PG. He's fast, makes quick and solid passes, plays hard, and has good handles. He impressed me more than Patty Mills did in the game I watched of St Mary's.

Rob Jones also impressed me - tenacious and athletic. Sort of a Pendo-type. Not quite the natural size for any given position, but wills himself to success.

Reborn
01-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I tend to disagree with my pals EV and ZN about talking about the coaches. I think we must remember that we are fans of the game too, and one thing I love about being a fan is that we can gripe about the coaching. As long as we temper it with love, I think we're alright. My God, let's not be saints here. This is basketball...... a game of passion and insanity. Are we ever more insane then we are while watching a Zag basketball game? I don't think I am. And I really love trying to coach, and out coach Few and his gang. That's just part of the fun for me, and I think for others. It's spicy....

I do respect those who don't complain too. Theyre nice, and it provides a good balance to the board. But I just don't think that people who express themselves passionately palute this board. They add spice to it. When I have criticle comments to make, about either players or coaches, I try to use discipline, discretion, and I edit my posts very carefully. And I know we have moderators who do the same.