PDA

View Full Version : Keep sawing wood, Zags

BobZag
01-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Just some random thoughts on a Friday morning...

Look for San Diego to hang tough for at least 20 minutes as there's no doubt Billy Grier will know what will work best against GU and he'll try to exploit it to the max. His PG Johnson may not yet be 100% with that deep thigh bruise but if the kid is healthy he'll combine with bouncy PF Pomare inside for a nice one-two, inside-outside punch. As seen in their W vs UK, other role players can step up, ala Ginty. Since they really only have Pomare to worry about inside, undersized as he may be, I'd let the Zags' bigs fend for themselves while putting more emphasis on shutting down their perimeter game. Also, knowng Grier, he'll tell his guards to atteck the rim as much as possible to put maximum foul pressure on GU, and for the kick-out. On offense, it'll be a good test for GU's halfcourt offense and how well the fellas can execute it. This will be the polar opposite of the Pepp game; USD will play tough defense. Few's halfcourt offense needs to click. We already know we do good running. NCAA Tourney games are usually tough, grinding halfcourt games. Watch for it Saturday.

Expect some of the same from Eddie Sutton Monday night. He's a halfcourt man-to-man defense guy.

A lot of ranked teams were beaten last night. Marquette and Vandy were slaughtered by 20 points. Butler hit another road bump, losing to Cleveland State, after losing to Wright State. Both are Horizon League losses. How much does an injured big man hurt a team? Ask Rick Pitino. Since big David Padgett returned, Louisville is a completely different team, a possible elite team again. Padgett for L'ville is like Heytvelt for GU. Oh, and after Rick Majerus' SLU squad set a record for scoring futility, his Billikins up and take out #23 Rhode Island. Go figure. Basketball is a funny game.

All of this leads to something quite important and unique for the WCC. Expect the Gaels of St. Mary's to be ranked once more this coming Monday. Barring an unforseen lapse the next two weekends the Zags will be entering McKeon with SMC ranked in both polls and the Zags unranked (unless a W over Memphis can be pulled out of the hat). Neither teams should lose in conference. That, my friends, will provide more chip on the shoulder motivation than anything GU has had for years. ESPN2 will be having a Battle Royale on their hands. Not since Westphal's first year at Pepp (2001-02) have the Zags had WCC supremacy to battle for.

Michigan State is a pretender, hasn't looked good since November.

I want SMC to get either Butler or Xavier for Bracketbusters, preferably Butler. I just think it'd be intriguing. That's a game I'd love to watch.

I predict Saturday's crowd in K2 will warmly welcome Billy Grier back, as well they should. He gave well over a dozen years to Gonzaga. Applaud him. The KC should chant Thank You Coach Grier. But when the game starts the gloves come off, show no mercy. Zags need this win and a loud homecourt advantage will help.

It's rather amazing to see how Gonzaga has consistantly stayed on the national scene, making the dance nine, going on ten, straight years. Just look where Nevada is now. Our friends at Winthrop. Teams come and teams go. Just a few years ago, Valpo was playing Gonzaga in the dance; Butler didn't make it. UW has plummeted. George Mason will likely not return. Wake Forest has disappeared. There are many more teams that were "the next Gonzaga", only to drop into mediocrity soon after.

Would singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to Eddie Sutton be too non-PC in this touchy feely world of easily hurt feelings, or have such things died since the original Kennel Club of yore? Just wondering is all, just wondering.

Win two this weekend = 15-4 heading into Memphis.

Let's do it, Zags.

gamagin
01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Bro

drnoe
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Dude!:)

BobZag
01-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Duuude. ;)

ZagManFan
01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow BZ, had to take a nap midway through your post.

Great thoughts though.

MedZag
01-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Would singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to Eddie Sutton be too non-PC in this touchy feely world of easily hurt feelings, or have such things died since the original Kennel Club of yore? Just wondering is all, just wondering.

Love it!

Zagdawg
01-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Niiiiiiiiicccce!

Ziggy
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Great thread BobZag, and such a nice even keel too!;) ;)

chirguy
01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
You hurt my feelings.;)

FrosTbear
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Win two this weekend = 15-4 heading into Memphis.

This is no random thought...It will happen!

ZagManFan
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
This is no random thought...It will happen!

The win at Memphis puts us back in the top 20 as well.

Ziggy
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
The win at Memphis puts us back in the top 20 as well.

January 26th, Day of Destiny!

JoeZag
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Great thread BZ! I especially liked the '99 bottles' idea.

kitzbuel
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Would singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to Eddie Sutton be too non-PC

What's up with that? You got something against beer?

:D

MickMick
01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I think Butler would throttle SMC.

TheZagPhish
01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

And I'd like to see it!

cggonzaga
01-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't think Butler would throttle SMC and I wouldn't want to see that. Can't wait to watch 2 WCC teams in the NCAA's this year.

lothar98zag
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
you really think this year's SMC team would get destroyed on their home court?!?!!?

please explain.

Ziggy
01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
you really think this year's SMC team would get destroyed on their home court?!?!!?

please explain.

Yeah, they only lose big on the road so it would have to be at Butler for that to occur.:D