PDA

View Full Version : Kayla Standish - A classy young lady!

Oldsport
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I drove to Ellensburg yesterday to see Kayla and her team beat Prosser High School by ten points. I wanted to see first-hand if this young lady would be able to help our Lady Zags. I was not disappointed! At 6'3", I witnessed a player that towered above the rest of the players on the floor. Kayla played with a smooth motion of confidence. She never seemed in a rush or to be out of control, just deadly in her approach to the game. After the game, Kayla was wearing a red t-shirt that said, "Property Of Gonzaga University".:o

BobZag
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Good to hear, Oldsport. I usually get to see most of our recruits but I haven't seen Kayla yet. She is a top-100 in the country, I know, and I've heard all good things about her. She'll be a big help to Gonzaga at 6'3", even if she her style is that of a Wing. 6'3" is 6'3". Highly skilled, to boot.

MickMick
01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I look forward to the Othello matchup with Ellensburg. If you are going to watch Kayla Standish, take a look at Othello's Allison Walker while you are at it. Hopefully Allison's ankle sprain has healed enough to adequately demonstrate her jumping ability.

MickMick
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Othello beat East Valley in OT this past weekend to move Othello into a tie (with East Valley) for second place in the CWAC. This sets up the game this weekend between undefeated Ellensburgh (with Kayla Standish) against Othello (with Allison Walker).

I will hopefully be in attendance (in Othello) to watch this great matchup between two very good players. One is committed to Gonzaga and the other is receiving a lot of attention/interest from the Zags.

Oldsport
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
MickMick

Do you have more information on this pending game? Knowing the proper day, time and exact location would help. Perhaps others would like to make the trip.:)

MickMick
01-23-2008, 02:25 AM
I am fairly certain that it is Friday night at 6:00 PM in the Othello High Gym.

Oldsport
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
MickMick,

Because you left the door open just a little on when the game was to take place, I did what I should have done to start with....sorry...I called Ellensburg H.S. and spoke with the athletic department and they told me the game at Othello was on Saturday 26, 2008 starting at 4:30 PM. It would have been a long way to drive to find the gym locked or a different game going on. Sadly the Othello game and the Lady Zags game is a time conflict. I'll be at the McCarthey Center. Thanks MickMick for alerting us to that important game in Othello. I will be one that will be waiting to hear the outcome. If you go, please tell us about the game.:)

MickMick
01-23-2008, 11:08 AM
JV starts at 4:30 and varsity game starts at 6:00. Just talked to one of the parents. Sorry Oldsport. Was just on my way to change my post, but you beat me to it.

Saturday at Othello.

I didn't mention in the earlier post that Allison scored 22 points and pulled down 17 rebounds against a very good East Valley team. I look forward to an epic battle with Standish. I will be there for sure.

Oldsport
01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Please give us a full report on the game MickMick. Include stats on both girls if you can. Good Luck! Have fun!:)

MickMick
01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Allison Walker (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=maxpreps+Washington&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D1 e4bb42e0c520966%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery% 3Dmaxpreps%2BWashington%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fwww.maxpreps.com%252FFanPages%252FStat eMain.mxp%252FWashington%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYResultsT%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maxpreps.com%2FFanPage s%2FStateMain.mxp%2FWashington) is averaging 17.8 points per game and 11.3 rebounds per game. Look for her numbers to rise now that she has recovered from an early season high ankle sprain. Othello is now ranked #10 in the state of Washington and will present Kayla Standish and Ellensburgh a formidable test.

BobZag
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I watched Othello (minus Walker) play in Stockton's Warehouse last summer and there were three 5'10"ish girls who were at least Big Sky caliber. But I'm not sure if all three were Othello girls, or maybe some Ellensberg girls mixed in. Standish was at a volleyball tourney. Moses Lake would be a good team for Zag fans to watch, too; they have two underclass girls (a center and a pg) that have caught GU's eye.

Oldsport
01-25-2008, 08:22 PM
The NW United States is a nest of wonderful girl's basketball talent. We have been exporting this to other parts of the US for years. We need a college with a quality basketball program. We need a coach that understands the this potential and build for a national championship caliber team. I thank that college, coach and program exists right here in Spokane. Coach Kelly Graves and the Lady Zags. I think I realized that when I watched Bernice Stime(2001) transfer from CCS to GU and put on a show for her junior and senior years. We have had many quality players but, for some reason, Bernice made the light-bulb go off in my head. I hope that someday every NW ballplayer wants the honor to be a Lady Zag first,...then go elsewhere if they have to. Move over Tennessee?:) :) :)

MickMick
01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I couldn't make the game. Heck, I doubt if the Ellenburgh bus could make the game. The road conditions are as bad as can be (Freezing rain). Wife says I can't drive alone at night for an hour on roads like this. She is right.

We are thinking that the game must have been canceled.

Oldsport
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Girl's basketball

Othello 65 - Ellensburg 60 That must of been a great game.

MickMick
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Wow....Allison Walker going "toe to toe" with Kayla Standish.

Allison had 17 points and 24 rebounds! Yikes!

I don't know if there is a gal in the state that has more hops than Allison Walker. The best kept secret in Washington girls hoops.

From Tri-City Herald link (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=Othello+High+School+Girls+Bask etball+scores&page=2&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D7 63c00a36d073d67%26clickedItemRank%3D21%26userQuery %3DOthello%2BHigh%2BSchool%2BGirls%2BBasketball%2B scores%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.s portstricities.com%252Fsportstc%252Fpreps%252Fbask etball%252Fgirls%252F%26invocationType%3Dnext%26fr omPage%3DGWYNextPrevB%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportstricities.com%2F sportstc%2Fpreps%2Fbasketball%2Fgirls%2F)

Othello 65, Ellensburg 60

OTHELLO -- Allison Walker scored six of her 17 points in the fourth quarter, all on putbacks, as the Othello girls outscored Ellensburg 19-9 in the final period to rally for a 65-60 CWAC victory Saturday -- their 11th straight win.

Courtney Kirkwood scored a game-high 21 for the Huskies, who avenged their last defeat and handed Ellensburg its first league loss of the season. Walker also had a game-high 24 rebounds.

ELLENSBURG (60)

Deaira Gordon 13, Kristen Wyatt 13, Kayla Standish 13, Minor 2, Prigge 2, Farrell 9, Duncan, Kelleher 8, S.Bland, A.Bland.

OTHELLO (65)

Courtney Kirkwood 21, Walker 17, Ch.Kirkwood 13, Mollotte 7, Guzman 4, Juarez, Villarreal 3, Martinez.

Ellensburg 13 15 23 9 -- 60

Othello 12 16 18 19 -- 65

Highlights -- Allison Walker 24 rebs.

MickMick
01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
A nice story from the Tri City Herald:

Notebook: Trio of girls vie for MVP at midpoint of season
This story was published Friday, January 25th, 2008

By Rene Ferran, Herald staff writer

This is a crazy thing to endeavor, picking a midseason All-Area girls basketball team.

There are a lot of players who right now are worthy of selection, with the most critical time of the year -- the postseason -- still to come to test their mettle and show who is truly deserving at season's end.

Even the MVP selection, which on the boys side seems so clear-cut, is a difficult challenge for the girls.

Do you go with Carly Noyes, the Moses Lake junior who was the CBL 4A MVP a year ago and is showing off an improved post game this year?

Or with her teammate Jordan Loera, the freshman point guard whose impact on the Chiefs has been likened to former Kenne-wick great Leilani Mitchell?

Or perhaps to Hermiston sophomore guard Shoni Schimmel, who has missed four games for various team rules violations but has lit up the court whenever she takes it?

It's a tough call, but being unable to resolve the "chicken-or-egg" dilemma of who deserves more credit for Moses Lake's success, Schimmel gets the nod. She's averaging almost 20 points, four assists and four steals per game.

"She got so much attention last year as a freshman, that's sometimes tough to deal with. It can be a distraction," said Hermiston coach Mike Royer. "But the thing that sets her apart is how well she sees the floor, how she handles the ball and passes. And her range is incredible. She raises the level of play of her teammates."

Noyes, who leads the CBL 4A in scoring at 20.1 ppg, has benefitted from the arrival of Loera, who's averaging 15.6 ppg but whose full impact goes beyond the stat sheet.

"I think having Jordan there to be that calming influence helps everyone else stay calm," said Chiefs coach Matt Strophy. "The same thing goes for Carly, that she's there to sacrifice her individual statistics and step out, take two defenders with her, and somebody else gets opened up, that's what we want to do."

Two small-school standouts round out the midseason first team.

Othello junior Allison Walker (17.3 ppg) has been a lock to get a double-double the past month as the Huskies have won nine straight, including an overtime win over East Valley last weekend that moved them into a tie for second place in the CWAC.

Senior Brianna Smith of Columbia (Burbank), meanwhile, leads the SCAC East at 18.9 ppg and has helped the Coyotes sweep through league play in the first half and also pull out a road win over four-time defending 1A champion Colfax.

It was no easier winnowing down the prospective candidates to come up with second and third teams:

Second team -- Prosser senior guard Jordan Brown (14.5 ppg), Walla Walla senior post Melissa Eastman (14.1), Hanford senior post Brittany Quick (13.7), Pasco senior wing Kelsie Ramsey (9.7) and Richland senior guard Lindsay Roberts (15.5).

Third team -- Hanford guard Chelsey DePeel (12.9), Kennewick junior post Amanda Hall (12.2), Walla Walla senior guard Jennifer Keyes (14.7), Connell junior guard Debbie Molsbarger (14.0) and Southridge sophomore wing Heather Worley (10.5).

Top newcomer -- Is there any doubt? Pasco coach Steve Davis calls Loera the missing piece for the Chiefs, the point guard they needed last year when they came up one game short of their first-ever state berth. In the non-wunderkind category, there's a trio of freshmen -- Prosser's Tamara Jones, Pasco's Hayley Hodgins and Othello's Christine Kirkwood.

Most improved player -- Roberts was a bit player for the Bombers last year, averaging just 6.2 ppg and hitting double figures only twice. She's thrived in first-year coach Bruce Robertson's system, has scored in double figures in all but one game this season and is fourth in the CBL in scoring.

Coach of the half-season -- Hanford coach Evan Woodward. The Falcons don't have a true star, but a bunch of players who know their role and find ways to win. They were the only CBL 3A team with a winning record vs. the 4A.

So at the halfway point, the Mid Columbia *All Area team is:

Carly Noyes (Moses Lake)
Jordan Loera (Moses Lake)
Shoni Schimmel (Hermiston, Ore)
Allison Walker (Othello)
Brianna Smith (Columbia-Burbank)

* According to the Tri-City Herald.