• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldsport
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

Kayla Standish - A classy young lady!

I drove to Ellensburg yesterday to see Kayla and her team beat Prosser High School by ten points. I wanted to see first-hand if this young lady would be able to help our Lady Zags. I was not disappointed! At 6'3", I witnessed a player that towered above the rest of the players on the floor. Kayla played with a smooth motion of confidence. She never seemed in a rush or to be out of control, just deadly in her approach to the game. After the game, Kayla was wearing a red t-shirt that said, "Property Of Gonzaga University".
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 01-17-2008, 06:03 AM.
    The players, coaches come and go, it's the Ladies Basketball program that endures!
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Good to hear, Oldsport. I usually get to see most of our recruits but I haven't seen Kayla yet. She is a top-100 in the country, I know, and I've heard all good things about her. She'll be a big help to Gonzaga at 6'3", even if she her style is that of a Wing. 6'3" is 6'3". Highly skilled, to boot.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MickMick
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

I look forward to the Othello matchup with Ellensburg. If you are going to watch Kayla Standish, take a look at Othello's Allison Walker while you are at it. Hopefully Allison's ankle sprain has healed enough to adequately demonstrate her jumping ability.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• MickMick
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Othello beat East Valley in OT this past weekend to move Othello into a tie (with East Valley) for second place in the CWAC. This sets up the game this weekend between undefeated Ellensburgh (with Kayla Standish) against Othello (with Allison Walker).

I will hopefully be in attendance (in Othello) to watch this great matchup between two very good players. One is committed to Gonzaga and the other is receiving a lot of attention/interest from the Zags.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oldsport
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Oct 2007

Sounds like a great battle is in the air!

MickMick

Do you have more information on this pending game? Knowing the proper day, time and exact location would help. Perhaps others would like to make the trip.
          The players, coaches come and go, it's the Ladies Basketball program that endures!

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

I am fairly certain that it is Friday night at 6:00 PM in the Othello High Gym.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oldsport
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Oct 2007

Game date and time correction.

MickMick,

Because you left the door open just a little on when the game was to take place, I did what I should have done to start with....sorry...I called Ellensburg H.S. and spoke with the athletic department and they told me the game at Othello was on Saturday 26, 2008 starting at 4:30 PM. It would have been a long way to drive to find the gym locked or a different game going on. Sadly the Othello game and the Lady Zags game is a time conflict. I'll be at the McCarthey Center. Thanks MickMick for alerting us to that important game in Othello. I will be one that will be waiting to hear the outcome. If you go, please tell us about the game.

Comment

• MickMick
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

JV starts at 4:30 and varsity game starts at 6:00. Just talked to one of the parents. Sorry Oldsport. Was just on my way to change my post, but you beat me to it.

Saturday at Othello.

I didn't mention in the earlier post that Allison scored 22 points and pulled down 17 rebounds against a very good East Valley team. I look forward to an epic battle with Standish. I will be there for sure.
                Last edited by MickMick; 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM.
                I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oldsport
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Oct 2007

...sounds like it will be a thriller!

Please give us a full report on the game MickMick. Include stats on both girls if you can. Good Luck! Have fun!

Comment

• MickMick
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

Allison Walker is averaging 17.8 points per game and 11.3 rebounds per game. Look for her numbers to rise now that she has recovered from an early season high ankle sprain. Othello is now ranked #10 in the state of Washington and will present Kayla Standish and Ellensburgh a formidable test.
                    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

I watched Othello (minus Walker) play in Stockton's Warehouse last summer and there were three 5'10"ish girls who were at least Big Sky caliber. But I'm not sure if all three were Othello girls, or maybe some Ellensberg girls mixed in. Standish was at a volleyball tourney. Moses Lake would be a good team for Zag fans to watch, too; they have two underclass girls (a center and a pg) that have caught GU's eye.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Oldsport
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Oct 2007

Great NW Girl's Basketball Talent!

The NW United States is a nest of wonderful girl's basketball talent. We have been exporting this to other parts of the US for years. We need a college with a quality basketball program. We need a coach that understands the this potential and build for a national championship caliber team. I thank that college, coach and program exists right here in Spokane. Coach Kelly Graves and the Lady Zags. I think I realized that when I watched Bernice Stime(2001) transfer from CCS to GU and put on a show for her junior and senior years. We have had many quality players but, for some reason, Bernice made the light-bulb go off in my head. I hope that someday every NW ballplayer wants the honor to be a Lady Zag first,...then go elsewhere if they have to. Move over Tennessee?

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

I couldn't make the game. Heck, I doubt if the Ellenburgh bus could make the game. The road conditions are as bad as can be (Freezing rain). Wife says I can't drive alone at night for an hour on roads like this. She is right.

We are thinking that the game must have been canceled.
                          Last edited by MickMick; 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oldsport
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Oct 2007

From Sunday's Spokesman-Review

Girl's basketball

Othello 65 - Ellensburg 60 That must of been a great game.

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Wow....Allison Walker going "toe to toe" with Kayla Standish.

Allison had 17 points and 24 rebounds! Yikes!

I don't know if there is a gal in the state that has more hops than Allison Walker. The best kept secret in Washington girls hoops.

From Tri-City Herald link

Othello 65, Ellensburg 60

OTHELLO -- Allison Walker scored six of her 17 points in the fourth quarter, all on putbacks, as the Othello girls outscored Ellensburg 19-9 in the final period to rally for a 65-60 CWAC victory Saturday -- their 11th straight win.

Courtney Kirkwood scored a game-high 21 for the Huskies, who avenged their last defeat and handed Ellensburg its first league loss of the season. Walker also had a game-high 24 rebounds.

ELLENSBURG (60)

Deaira Gordon 13, Kristen Wyatt 13, Kayla Standish 13, Minor 2, Prigge 2, Farrell 9, Duncan, Kelleher 8, S.Bland, A.Bland.

OTHELLO (65)

Courtney Kirkwood 21, Walker 17, Ch.Kirkwood 13, Mollotte 7, Guzman 4, Juarez, Villarreal 3, Martinez.

Ellensburg 13 15 23 9 -- 60

Othello 12 16 18 19 -- 65

Highlights -- Allison Walker 24 rebs.
                              Last edited by MickMick; 01-28-2008, 08:16 AM.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X