PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Taylor-Hobbs Overcomes Foul Trouble To Beat The Bulldogs!

antbanks
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
With a mere four-point lead and its top two scorers in foul trouble entering halftime, the Hobbs boys basketball team needed to make some second-half adjustments to avoid an upset at the hands of Class 4A Artesia.

Oh, how the Eagles adjusted.

Hobbs opened the second half on a 10-2 run and outscored Artesia by 22 points during the final two quarters en route to a 90-64 victory Tuesday at Bulldog Pit.

The Eagles, ranked No.1 in the News-Sun class 5A Coaches Poll, struggled to establish rhythm during a whistle-happy first half which included 22 free-throw attempts. Allen Tate, who entered Tuesday as Hobbs' second-leading scorer at 14.4 points per game, picked up two fouls during the game's opening 78 seconds. Jeff Taylor, the team's leading scorer at 27.4, picked up his third foul with less than one second remaining in the second quarter when he was whistled for going over the back and Hobbs (16-2) entered the locker room with a 38-34 lead which hardly appeared safe.

"We needed to clear our mind at halftime. We went in the locker room and got ourselves together and said guys, you know what we've got to do," Hobbs coach Russ Gilmore said. " We've got to put them away in the first three minutes of the third quarter."

The Eagles responded, jumping on the Bulldogs early in the second half. Hobbs dominated the third quarter, outrebounding Artesia 14-4 and drawing fouls No. 3 and 4 on the Bulldog's leading scorer, Derek Montoya, while the Eagles extended their lead to 15.

Hobbs led by as many as 29 in the fourth quarter, when a Juhreece Thompson jump shot put the Eagles ahead 85-56 with 2 minutes and 34 seconds remaining.

"First half, we was playing sluggish and we needed to pick it up," Thompson said. "The first three minutes are very important in every game so we just came out there and went all out."

The 6-foot-7 Taylor scored 17 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the first half before picking up his third foul. While the senior said he backed off a bit in the second half, he finished with a game high 36 points and 14 rebounds.

Taylor scored Hobbs' first six points of the second half and set the tone for the fourth quarter with a two-handed baseline dunk. He shot 14-for-21 from the field and connected on 8 of 11 free-throw attempts.

"In the first half, I think we just had to adjust to the way the referees were calling the game. I think it kind of slowed us down, as many calls as both teams were getting," Taylor said. " In the second half, we made that adjustment. This was a good game for us because we learned how to play throught the tough calls."

Montoya, who entered Tuesday averaging more than 19 points per game, was credited with 18 points, but shot just 2-for-9 from the field. Tate defended Montoya early, but was forced to the bench with two quick fouls. Tate also defended Montoya later in the game. Gilmore said he was pleased with Tate's defensive effort, saying it was important that Tate "wanted" to match up against an opponent's best player.

Artesia (11-3) played with emotion in the first half and led 26-22 when Bryan Madrid scored on a drive to the basket with 5:50 remaining in the second quarter. Hobbs scored the next eight points to take the lead for good, however, though the Bulldogs kept the game close until the second half.

Gilmore also said he was pleased with the play of his reserves. Hobbs scored 22 points off the bench, led by Thompson's 13.

"I told the kids that each championship we've won, we've won it from our bench," Gilmore said. "Our bench is getting deeper all the time. Im getting more confident going down deeper into that bench. I'm believing in them."

Hobbs travels to play Roswell (13-4) at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

This is how dominant Hobbs Basketball is, here is a list from other Hobbs games on Tuesday.

Junior Varsity Boys-(12-1)
Hobbs 85 - Artesia 34

Sophomore Boys-(12-2)
Hobbs 84 - Artesia 20

Freshman Boys-(9-0)
Hobbs 72 - Carlsbad-27

ZagNative
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
This is how dominant Hobbs Basketball is, here is a list from other Hobbs games on Tuesday.

Junior Varsity Boys-(12-1)
Hobbs 85 - Artesia 34

Sophomore Boys-(12-2)
Hobbs 84 - Artesia 20

Freshman Boys-(9-0)
Hobbs 72 - Carlsbad-27

My goodness! Thanks for the story. So we have 13 boards to go with the 36 points for Jeff.

Have you ever heard Jeff talk? Does he speak with a Swedish accent? Didn't he spend his childhood in Sweden?

antbanks
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
My goodness! Thanks for the story. So we have 13 boards to go with the 36 points for Jeff.

Have you ever heard Jeff talk? Does he speak with a Swedish accent? Didn't he spend his childhood in Sweden?it's not really an all out accent, he speaks perfect english and you can catch the accent just a little bit. When he was living in Sweden he came down here a lot for holidays and things like that so he has always known the history over here and he decided if he was gonna make a run at the NBA, his best chance would be to come to the U.S. and give it his best shot.....so far everything is going according to plan!

BobZag
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
antbanks, do you have any insights into Jeff's recruiting, his favorite? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather keep it quiet. Thanks.

antbanks
01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
antbanks, do you have any insights into Jeff's recruiting, his favorite? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather keep it quiet. Thanks.i don't think anyone has a real solid idea of where he is going to go, he's been keepin pretty quiet about it and just focusing on his team right now, and as the season goes on, more and more recruiters are coming to the games to take a look at him in action!

BBskorer
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
...we have our JT comparison.

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/players/images/2007/washington.jpg http://nmotsc.com/media/player_images/Jeff_Talylor_11.JPG
Deron Washington, VaTech----------Jeff Taylor, Hobbs NM---------

Not to mention both are 6-7 and ultra-athletic. Now if young Jeff can put together anything like THIS (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYTg1TIAjZY), I sure hope it's with GONZAGA on the front of his jersey...